Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Plans for DC successor before DC was discontinued

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

I agree that I'd want something on par with 360 but I was offering the alternative for those suggesting lower-spec hardware. The portable hybrid I proposed is IMO one-way SEGA could get away with having something lower spec. There had to be a reason why it would be lower spec and excused. Wii could be excused for the gimmick and demographic. Same if SEGA did what I proposed. If they just flat out made Naomi 2 as a home console and nothing else. It's dead. If they made a true console then yes being on par with 360 and using those parts would be perfect.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Carts would have been fine, that's what the NAOMI used so no great loss for most of the games, maybe just drop cut scenes that everyone skips anyway.
    Like half of Naomi games were on GD-rom.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

That would have been doable and in fact they could have kept the 640x480 resolution if necessary. There was a company in San Francisco around that time, called OQO, they had built a pocket PC with a 4" VGA resolution LCD. (The 2004 production version was 800x480 but the prototypes circa 2002 were all 640x480). So the technology was there. You would not get great battery life on something like that, maybe 3, 3.5 hours, but if the idea is to dock it to a TV for longer sessions then it doesn't matter. In fact it would still be cool if Sega licensed a product like that today, just like the Genesis clones.

Carts would have been fine, that's what the NAOMI used so no great loss for most of the games, maybe just drop cut scenes that everyone skips anyway.
    I remember the OQO. I don't think that resolution is needed. PSP resolution is fine but keeping the DPI high (for the time) at 120-130 would be best. Good batt life. Sharp looking screen even if a lower resolution and opens the GPU up more without needing to do more work in portable mode. Similar to the Switch. 720P screen but a high PPI so it looks great despite a lower resolution. Yes I know DPI and PPI not the same but just saying similar ideas and execution.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    Its not hard to come close to PS3/360 specifications just
    It is, when you want shrink them down into a console and look to sell it at a reasonable price . MS could afford to take the hit, SEGA couldn't. Btw I seem to remember SEGA asking for 1,600 per linberg board (just the boards it's self ) and that just ,pretty standard and old PC parts
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

By the 2000s it was obvious that better hardware did not necessarily equal more sales. The PS2 is the best selling console of all time despite being weaker than the GC or XBox. The fact that games continued to be made for the Naomi 2 and Atomiswave showed there was plenty of life left in that architecture. Sega was always an innovator when it came to hardware, they would have come up with features nobody else was thinking about at the time (upgraded VMUs, maybe?)
    Exactly..SEGA never had the money in the bank to afford spending billions on just GPU development.So maybe it would have been nice to see SEGA go a different route 'had' the DC sold 30 to 40 million units

A beefed up NA@MI 2 DC 2 for the home with full BC with the DC, SEGA pushing on with the internet features more and all its teams working on their own Hardware and a flow of SEGA Arcade ports . Maybe wouldn't have been mainstream, but it would have been awesome for the SEGA die-hard and given NA@MI OK tech had already been finished, not that costly in R&D.

Though maybe the console would have been a little pricy LOL. It's quite amazing how good VF 4 still looks on a real NA@MI 2 board
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    It is, when you want shrink them down into a console and look to sell it at a reasonable price . MS could afford to take the hit, SEGA couldn't. Btw I seem to remember SEGA asking for 1,600 per linberg board (just the boards it's self ) and that just ,pretty standard and old PC parts
    But wasn't the Naomi expensive when it first came out? The Naomi is only a Dreamcast with more RAM and a better GPU. Ironically those are the exact cuts they would make to the Lindberg console version.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

But this is really the last thing any of us would've wanted them to do. I think we're all hardcore gamers in this thread.

Though the sad reality is, we know the reason Nintendo went this route is because they learned they can't compete with Sony and Microsoft, so it would be a similar case for Sega.
    Yup, but given the alternative (abandon the console business, resulting in a massive and irremediable damage to their creative and production capacity), I think the Nintendo route was the best choice also for Sega.
    The key objective should have been to remain active in the hardware business at all costs.

And who knows, maybe Sega could have found again massive success like the Wii, imagine a Sega Switch/Nomad2 for example.
    The industry become bigger, there are more chance to make success now than in the 90's.

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=731&page=1

The Lindbergh is pure 7th gen hardware. Just change the main RAM to 512 MB then you got a home console.
    Yes it's a pure 7th gen, it's technically weaker than Ps3 and 360, but it produce amazing graphics, for example VF5 is still one of the best looking fighting games ever made, even compared to current PS4-XOne fighting games.
    It would have been a great console...

But if the Lindbergh option was too expensive, a simply improved Naomi 2 console could have been great too, probably better than Wii graphic-wise (I never seen something comparable to VF4 on the nintendo system, Naomi 2 was a beast).

But wasn't the Naomi expensive when it first came out? The Naomi is only a Dreamcast with more RAM and a better GPU. Ironically those are the exact cuts they would make to the Lindberg console version.
    No, It was quite cheap in comparison to other boards, which was why most smaller developers looked to use it, long after SEGA looked to drop it, rather than Type X.
    The likes of G Rev said about the high costs of Type X was far too high per board
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post

Yes it's a pure 7th gen, it's technically weaker than Ps3 and 360, but it produce amazing graphics, for example VF5 is still one of the best looking fighting games ever made, even compared to current PS4-XOne fighting games.
    It would have been a great console...
    You quite right, but a lot of that is thanks to the skill of AM#2. I also think Lets Go Jungle looked incredible too, but it's very much on-rails, never mind the cost of trying to sell a PC rig at consoles prices But thats 2005 tech. If the DC had sold well enough, I think SEGA would have looked to go in 2001/2.

NA@MI2 was awesome tech, and it just seemed SEGA worked best on their own Hardware, with the rare exception of Xbox and Chihiro
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

The Naomi 2 isn't workable as a console. They wanted to keep the same architecture, but PowerVR was having issues with not progressing on time. So the Naomi 2 has the same GPU as the Dreamcast/Naomi, except it has two of them, plus a T&L coprocessor. PowerVR didn't have hardware T&L until much later, which was kind of why it stopped being an option for PC cards. Lack of T&L in the GPU could be made up for with a fast CPU, but the SH-4 never got a successor. As good as the Dreamcast hardware was for its time, its CPU and GPU were both dead-end architecture. Another console would've been something completely different.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

I doing see how could say that NA@MI II couldn't be made into a console and I read that IT moved away from PC GFX cards as the Power VR line failed to see good sales after Power VR 4 and the mobile sector was becoming for more profitable for them.

I would have though the tech would have been good enough for SEGA and it's teams in 2001\2. Not that I would ever say or think that by 2005 SEGA would have the money to out do Sony or MS for tech or take a hit on each console sold like those could (it almost killed Sony at one stage). Only NCL had that kind of money in the bank.

But of a shame mind too, that SEGA didn't look to work with Nvidia more after the Saturn..
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information