Quantcast

Thread: That "Sega used the Yakuza" story

Default That "Sega used the Yakuza" story

I heard of it already, but this enters in details and scathing commentaries (not in the video itself. It's a bit libelous, but not insulting at all). Not sure if it's true or false, but fanboys of the Big N sure are enjoying this.
    Should we call bullshit or face the music? Should I stop to follow Guru Larry for attention-whoring or command his colleague for showing us the dark side of the business?

What do you think, Sega historians?

EDIT: I must say some Sega fans are also behaving like shit downright accusing Nintendo of murdering Gunpei Yokoi. SHAME.
    I thought that phase of the console war was over and people behaved like adults at last. This very forum has quite a lot of beloved members who are Nintendo fans, which made me thought the hatch was buried for good, but a vocal minority wants crap to hit the fan again.
    Last edited by bigladiesman; 03-29-2020 at 08:05 PM.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Kiryu would never kidnap anyone. Kiryu saved her. We all know that.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    Kiryu would never kidnap anyone. Kiryu saved her. We all know that.
    Not Kiryu, but maybe Goro... He has mellowed over the years, but still, hes the Mad Dog of Shimano. Maybe he hates fat guys with caps and moustaches.

I often wear a Mario robe with its cap-shaped hood. Must I fear for my life? Should I call City Hunter?

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

I don't think this rumor is worth any credence.

It all comes from an interview John Szczepaniak did with an anonymous source in Japan. Szczepaniak did not independently verify anything, as far as I know. He accepted the source's account at face value and no other information has ever been provided to support it.

The problem is that, for whatever reason, such anonymous sources in Japan have a tendency to tell reporters what they want to hear, even if it's stretching the truth or an outright fantasy. It's similar to how people online make up fake game console rumors - they get a kick out of hearing their fabrication make the news.

This particular source sandwiched the kidnapping story between publicly known pieces of information - that the yakuza were involved in aspects of the arcade industry (nothing exciting there - you could find yakuza involvement in the whole entertainment industry in the 70s and 80s) and that Sega were sued in 2000 for using oidashibeya to make employees quit. Those things being true does not also make the kidnapping story true.

The story itself is quite odd and hard to swallow. The source claims that Sega hired yakuza to kidnap his sister because he was testifying against them in a court case. To get his sister back, he purchased a Sega arcade game from a distributor, smashed it in front of their headquarters, and then wrote them a nasty letter, and they returned the sister. Uhh yeah... Oh wait, the source corrects himself: he didn't have a driver's license, so he had his friend dump the arcade machine. He wasn't actually there so he didn't see how badly it smashed. OK.

It really feels like the guy is just making it up as he goes, and Szczepaniak never questions him.

The source also says that Sega president Hayao Nakayama and other board members were yakuza and had missing fingers to prove it. There are plenty of pictures of the Sega board - none of them are missing fingers.

I feel like this source knew he had the perfect gullible audience to tell his fantasy. Foreigners love a good yakuza story, right? Never mind that it would be completely out of character for yakuza to kidnap civilians (although it could have just been some wannabe thugs).

There's simply no evidence, so although it might make for some interesting fiction, it's unlikely to be true.

This has been quite informative, Gryson. For now, I'll stop following this account for hypocrisy: they criticize video game media (quite fairly, I must add) and its dubious ethics while giving credibility to dubious stories, no matter if at the end of the day it turns out to be true. Then again, if it was the case I would like to see a through journalistic account, not a tongue-in-cheek satirical story.
    Last edited by bigladiesman; 03-29-2020 at 10:09 PM.

Thread Information