Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Genesis game: VergeWorld Icarus

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LinkueiBR View Post
    Really nice FX!!!

Looks like the first stage of STAR WARS Rebel Assault for SEGA CD.
    This was my exact thought as well. At first I though that's what I was looking at!
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

This is definitely amazing !

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    I wonder what the response would have been to a game like this back in '91/'92?

I don't know of a commercial game on the system that has an effect like this.
    Yo it's just voxel rendering. Bitd? That resolution would have been laughable if that was the whole game. Maybe as a bonus stage, or such, for game. But definitely not as a game.

Was wondering when an interactive voxel demo would show up in homebrew for the system haha.

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    Yo it's just voxel rendering. Bitd? That resolution would have been laughable if that was the whole game. Maybe as a bonus stage, or such, for game. But definitely not as a game.

Was wondering when an interactive voxel demo would show up in homebrew for the system haha.
    Early 90 boys did'n give a single fuck about screen resolution : D

Quote Originally Posted by EPSYLON EAGLE View Post
    Early 90 boys did'n give a single fuck about screen resolution : D
    Bullshit! haha Are we even watching the same video??! It looks like atari lynx blown up to a full screen TV, but actually worse. We're talking less than 1/4 the normal resolution. This isn't quibbing over 256 vs 320 pixels. And it's not just the resolution of the buffer (being less than 1/4), but that rendering blocks up larger than that as it gets close to 'camera' - i.e. like down to 1/8-ish.

Like I said, bonus or interactive intermission between stage thing.. at most. I was there in the 90's. We had much higher standards than this.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Oh yes, very cool.

Bullshit! haha Are we even watching the same video??! It looks like atari lynx blown up to a full screen TV, but actually worse. We're talking less than 1/4 the normal resolution. This isn't quibbing over 256 vs 320 pixels. And it's not just the resolution of the buffer (being less than 1/4), but that rendering blocks up larger than that as it gets close to 'camera' - i.e. like down to 1/8-ish.

Like I said, bonus or interactive intermission between stage thing.. at most. I was there in the 90's. We had much higher standards than this.
    Man, i was there too, and I absolutely say that 99% of the boys at the time just wanted to have fun, very few people knew the real word meaning.

Back then being able to see any piece of hardware doing any form of 3D graphics was impressive, especially at decent speed — resolution be damned. Also I watched the video several tiles, the blocks are 2×2, the reason it feels blockier is because the voxelmap itself is that blocky and that sticks out when it's close to the screen lol

If there's anything that sticks out, it's the ship being higher resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Back then being able to see any piece of hardware doing any form of 3D graphics was impressive, especially at decent speed — resolution be damned. Also I watched the video several tiles, the blocks are 2×2, the reason it feels blockier is because the voxelmap itself is that blocky and that sticks out when it's close to the screen lol

If there's anything that sticks out, it's the ship being higher resolution.
    They're not 2x2 blocks. They're 4x4. You can see the checkerboard pattern has 4 pixels across and 4 pixels down. 2x2 would probably be halfway decent - hopefully they can get there (even if it takes a small drop in framerate).

Don't get me wrong, I think it's super cool. But I stick by my statement. Unless you were a child in the 90s, 80x45 pixel resolution blown up to full screen would have been laughable (as a game!) - 3D or not.

Hard to tell with a video x_x (but then the implication is that a lot of the columns are 8px wide…)

Mind, it'd have been mocked to hell back then anyway because it's not "real 3D like mode 7" anyway ¯\_(°_o)_/¯

WCPO Agent

I think it would have been OK if there's some enemies flying around or other objects. The voxel effect is just the background. Once you have to concentrate on dodging projectiles or picking up power-ups your eyes won't be as focused on the scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    I think it would have been OK if there's some enemies flying around or other objects. The voxel effect is just the background. Once you have to concentrate on dodging projectiles or picking up power-ups your eyes won't be as focused on the scenery.
    It's 80x45 resolution but full screen. You think more objects would distract from it? I dunno.. I think it's too pronounced part of the screen to not see it.

But the Apple Macintosh version appears to be 2x2 pixels (160x90 res) and looks much better; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB6ZD9H2HWA

WCPO Agent

It's 80x45 resolution but full screen. You think more objects would distract from it? I dunno.. I think it's too pronounced part of the screen to not see it.

But the Apple Macintosh version appears to be 2x2 pixels (160x90 res) and looks much better; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB6ZD9H2HWA
    Yeah you're right that one does look much better. I see what you mean, this could work as like something between stages but maybe not the whole game, maybe you have this kind of view while traveling between indoor areas or you use more traditional Space Harrier style backgrounds in some spots.

Thread Information