Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Genecyst on a 486

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Fire up DOS with a non-analog Sidewider, and see if any DOS software that reads any and all inputs (Nesticle, CHAMP software, et al) likes any buttons beyond the first two. I highly doubt those were coded to explicitly ignore extra buttons.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Oh right, now I remember that Sidewinders have a completely custom protocol (・_・) But those are not going to work with any DOS game that only supports the original PC joystick anyway, since again they by-pass any drivers altogether and usually ignore the BIOS functions as well (so either a game explicitly supports it, or it's for Windows and lets the OS take care of it — and Windows won't try to pretend it's a legacy joystick for DOS programs).

There are still other joysticks with six buttons that do what I just mentioned tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
    The first computer I ran emulators on, both Genecyst and Nesticle was a 486 Compaq LTE 440 CX. For back then, it was fine.
    After someone posted about DOS, I wanted to make a clarification to this post. This system was running Windows NT 3.51 Workstation with no sound. The CPU was 40MHz. I do not know what versions of the software they were.

I didn't run it on that because I wanted to use a low-end system. This was the notebook I had in college and was already 8 years old when I was using it. I've never owned a modern notebook at any point in history. My two notebooks I use now are old, one is from 2007 and the other from 2008.
    Sega Genesis Master Set Collector
    https://vgcollect.com/Tripredacus/gen

More of a Kega Fusion user here. Worked mostly great with most of its emulated systems except Sega CD.
    Some people like companies losing jobs.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sull56ivan2010 View Post
    More of a Kega Fusion user here.
    Well then you probably shouldn't be in a thread that talks about ye olde DOS emulation days. this is Genecyst and Kgen territory.

Worked mostly great with most of its emulated systems except Sega CD.
    oh? Can't say I've ever experienced any Sega CD problems with Fusion. what's the problem?

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
    After someone posted about DOS, I wanted to make a clarification to this post. This system was running Windows NT 3.51 Workstation with no sound. The CPU was 40MHz. I do not know what versions of the software they were.

I didn't run it on that because I wanted to use a low-end system. This was the notebook I had in college and was already 8 years old when I was using it. I've never owned a modern notebook at any point in history. My two notebooks I use now are old, one is from 2007 and the other from 2008.
    Had no idea you could even run Genecyst on Windows NT 3.51. I thought it could only run DOS programs in 286 mode and without graphics.

Emulators were starting to show up at the end of the 90s. Some as early as 1997. I don't think it would stun me if someone had a Genesis emulator working on Windows 95 back then, regardless of accuracy.

And the issue with Sega CD (Vamp's asking) on Fusion is games freezing up before getting to the title screen. CD systems are ones I rarely touch if I'm going to play on emulators, though I hear a few are good.
    Some people like companies losing jobs.

And the issue with Sega CD (Vamp's asking) on Fusion is games freezing up before getting to the title screen.
    Never had that happen, sounds more like a problem with your disc images or bios setup than a Fusion problem.

1. make sure the disc images are unzipped/unrarred
    2. make sure your bios/emu settings are correct (there's like a handful of options)
    3. Don't use the redump images, they split every track into their own bin file and Fusion is just too old to know how to work with that. (you'll know you have redump if its like 1 cue file and 10 or so bin files instead of 1)
    (you can join them all together into one bin/cue file again with a tool like CDmage though)

Other than that I wouldn't know what could be causing any issues, Fusion is pretty solid when it comes to Sega CD emulation.
    I suggest Snatcher/Sonic CD/Ecco 1/Ecco 2/Shining Force CD/Eternal Champions CD/Jurassic Park/Terminator/Earthworm Jim S.E./ and both Lunar games.

Fusion's Sega CD emulation is not accurate in terms of timing. Toggling Perfect Sync may or may not help (depending on game), also the CD drive speed emulation setting (some games will crash if the drive goes too fast), so take those settings in mind, but yeah it's far from perfect and it does trip several games.

Let us pray to the emulation god that some day Steve Snake will release a nice update of Kega Fusion. (or as I'd prefer, Kgen2020)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Let us pray to the emulation god that some day Steve Snake will release a nice update of Kega Fusion. (or as I'd prefer, Kgen2020)
    And make it open source... Amen.

Thread Information