Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sega Lord X - Top 10 32x Games (& Your Favorites)

As someone who has collected every North American 32X cartridge release, I could probably make a complete ranking on how I feel about these games...so let's go from there!

1. After Burner - Classic game gets an amazing port, even had a Genesis Flight Stick to play this one, and let me tell you, it's a match made in heaven!
    2. Knuckles Chaotix - I love the random nature of this game, and the oddball 2-player novelty it has. I had so much fun with this game, and it even has one of Sega's best soundtracks!
    3. Shadow Squadron - Such an epic game, and I arguably enjoyed it more than Starfox on SNES, which is saying something.
    4. Space Harrier - Good stuff, can't complain about this amazing port.
    5. Virtua Racing - To turn my genesis into an arcade machine...man, this showed how cool a 32X COULD'VE BEEN.
    6. Kolibri - I liked the hybrid of an explorative game in the vein of Ecco with some shmup aspects to it. Good fun!
    7. Tempo - This game was actually quite fun, with a very wacky style for a platformer. No complaints here.
    8. Virtua Fighter - A respectable port that does its job, it's not what I expected, but it still played great and looked good for what it was on.
    9. Blackthorne - A great port of the PC version all things considered, looks much better than SNES, but it's also a bit too hard at times.
    10. Star Wars Arcade - My Genesis can do Star Wars Arcade!? Thank you!
    11. NBA Jam TE - A fine port of a legendary game.
    12. Mortal Kombat II - I like how it looks better than both the Genesis and SNES ports, but it's no Saturn port. Still, it's good with the right controller.
    13. Primal Rage - Rage! Especially since this is the Genesis version with better colors...and not much else. Still, it's a personal fav from my childhood.
    14. World Series Baseball...Starring Deion Sanders! - The closeups when you go for a catch are cool, otherwise I can't say much else is new. Plays great anyway!
    15. Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure - I actually liked this port, it's good for what it is. Not a bad game.
    16. WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game - Good dumb fun, it is what it is.
    17. Spider Man: Web of Fire - It's not a bad game, but it feels like such a mess too. It's got more "gee golly" novelty to it considering Blue Sky did this game...but that's it.
    18. Doom - This port wasn't bad for its day, I mean it looks and plays better than SNES (and maybe 3DO?), but the music is terrible. Not the full game either. Also, you're going to need a controller for this.
    19. RBI Baseball '95 - Not a bad game per say, just that I prefer WSB. The fact you can control the ball as it's in the air is just plain funny.
    20. NFL Quarterback Club - Just a Genesis game with prettier colors, and the fact that I like it better than a decent number of games below it says how much I feel about the next batch. It is a fun game in its own right, just for the record.
    21. Metal Head - A game I wanted to like because it left a good first impression, but I really got smashed in the late game so bad that the game just feels cheap to me (personally).
    22. T-Mek - It's a decent port, but things get so chaotic that I sometimes can't tell what's going on.
    23. Cosmic Carnage - The soundtrack is the best part about this game, the graphics are pretty cool in that Genesis sort of way (close ups are amusing), but its controls could be better. The armor system feels neat, but a lot about this game feels unfinished.
    24. Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000 - I wanted to like this game quite badly, it's got an interesting gameplay element in it, but I just don't like the ship movement.
    25. Brutal Unleashed - The characters move so stupidly fast that I can't even play this game. Enjoyed it on Sega CD, but this version is just too whack.
    26. Toughman Challenge - I sucked at this game, so I couldn't tell you how good or bad it was. I guess I've played worse?
    27. 36 Great Holes - The golfer's name is Fred Couples, but in all seriousness, it's not that this game is bad, but it's just such a difficult game for me to play.
    28. Motocross Championship - I mean, I want to say this game isn't terrible, but I'd be lying if I had any fun with this game. It's not Checkered Flag levels of bad or anything, it just feels really janky and I can't seem to get a flow going whenever I play this.
    29. WWF Raw - I honestly couldn't bring myself to play it too long, it's just a more colorful Genesis game, but it does play a bit rough.
    30. BC Racers - Now while I don't think Motocross Championship is THAT BAD, I do think this game IS. It is such a chore to play this game, and the way it moves makes me want to throw up.
    31. Star Trek - If I wasn't looking to own every 32X cartridge for the heck of it, this game would've been a non-purchase. Can't think of a single thing I liked about this "game"
    Last edited by Milkymagic; 11-27-2021 at 03:19 PM.

My top games:

-Virtua Racing
    -Virtua Fighter
    -Knuckles Chaotix
    -Blackthorne
    -Shadow Squadron
    -Zaxxon
    -Mortal Kombat 2
    -Doom (if we're talking Resurrection, I'd probably put it in the top 3)
    -Space Harrier
    -Afterburner

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

I'm surprised there's so much variation within the small 32x library.

Myself:

1. Virtua Racing: Still the best version of VR, with 2 exclusive stages, Highland still has my obligation to get 1st, IIRC I've only gotten 5th place. I thought mirror mode gets unlocked with getting in top 5 of each stage, but then it didn't happen lol, and I lost my old HDD content so IDK what happened with that. Also Highland is the most realistic stage, and I think it's based on Estes Park, Colorado. Years ago I had the most loving vacation with my ex-gf in Estes Park, regardless that years later, I realized that she stole away to spend half a day in bed with another guy.

2. Knuckles Chaotix: Really a wonderful Sonic game. The main complaint (of the 2-player rubber band) is legit a non-issue, because you simply hold down B (IIRC) to HOLD your accompanying friend. No one mentions this, but somehow in the classic Mario games, no one ever had a problem with holding down B to run.

3. Virtua Fighter is small but awesome. I can play through it on normal settings, very easily. Functional and great. It's also fun to watch the game play against itself, as a background thing.

4. Shadow Squadron is sweet, I love the freedom of real 3D movement, very fun.

5. Doom is also awesome when considered all by itself, as a unique version. I have very low interest in FPS's in general, so this is satisfying to me, in the odd times that I get that interest.

6. Afterburner: very awesome. Easy to play thru and I love that you can play so chaotically, you can spin the screen the whole time, if u want to.

7. Space Harrier: wonderful. I never got the code to work right, for extra lives etc.

8. Cosmic Carnage is tragically misunderstood imo. The whole POINT is showing that the 32x could emulate the style of SAMURAI SHODOWN. Which is awesome. Regardless that I never got the successful ending to work out, and IDK if anyone really understands the ending...

9. Kolibri: At the very least, some great music and graphics. Turn off sound fx to enjoy the music!!

10. Metalhead: Also tragically misunderstood. The hold-down running move, should be standard, and then the choppy animation works out OK. The missions are actually very fun and awesome. Especially I remember loving the stage of shooting down the moving-train, also the haunted-house-style stage was very fun, if ill-fitting the mech theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    I'm surprised there's so much variation within the small 32x library.

8. Cosmic Carnage is tragically misunderstood imo. The whole POINT is showing that the 32x could emulate the style of SAMURAI SHODOWN. Which is awesome. Regardless that I never got the successful ending to work out, and IDK if anyone really understands the ending...

10. Metalhead: Also tragically misunderstood. The hold-down running move, should be standard, and then the choppy animation works out OK. The missions are actually very fun and awesome. Especially I remember loving the stage of shooting down the moving-train, also the haunted-house-style stage was very fun, if ill-fitting the mech theme.
    A part of me would love to revisit these two games in particular because I always felt they had something, I just couldn't get into them like I had hoped.

I do think Metal Head plays well for a mech game on a 32X, so that is impressive. I don't think it's bad at all, the difficulty just gets real insane for me personally, but I'm always up for another opinion on it when I get the time. Also, it's pretty funny how comparable graphics between 32X and Atari Jaguar games tend to be, Metal Head feels like it has more detail than Iron Soldier, but Iron Soldier feels like a much faster game because of that. Maybe I'm wrong though, but that's the feeling I get between the two. But to be fair, your mech is a different size in each game, so maybe my comparison is a bit crazy, you can move faster in Metal Head, but the frame rate is faster in Iron Soldier despite having a slower movement speed.

You have a point on Cosmic Carnage utilizing draw distance like Samurai Shodown did, even the Genesis and SNES versions of Samurai Shodown never had draw distance of any kind, yet the 32X got to flex its muscles and allow for it in such a neat way. Even World Series Baseball and Knuckles Chaotix played around with utilizing either closeups or simply putting things more into the screen than normal. I couldn't enjoy Cosmic Carnage's gameplay feel, but I'm sure if I could practice enough maybe I could find some more enjoyment than I did. Also, I never really found a main character to use, I just kind of used everybody because I couldn't figure out who I was best with.

Also, definitely agree with you on Knuckles Chaotix, I never had an issue with the game's gimmick one bit, and got used to it pretty easily. It's actually pretty dang fun on two player as well, as the participation from player two has more meaning in that game than genesis Sonic titles, but being Tails is still fun in my opinion.

And finally, dang, that' VR Deluxe memory's rough man. But the trivia on the highlands was interesting to say the least.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    Metalhead: Also tragically misunderstood. The hold-down running move, should be standard, and then the choppy animation works out OK. The missions are actually very fun and awesome. Especially I remember loving the stage of shooting down the moving-train, also the haunted-house-style stage was very fun, if ill-fitting the mech theme.
    I really enjoyed Metalhead once I got the hang of the controls, I think alot of people write this off without giving it enough playthrough time. Like Ecco says the hold-down running move needs to be almost constantly utilised. The framerate and draw distance issues become less obvious the more you play and adjust to them.
    I personally always change the avatars to the sprite based ones rather than the digitised South Park heads.

Thread Information