Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terraonion MODE Dreamcast & Saturn FPGA ODE

One thing that's nice is that the MODE will play any region game on any region console. From what I've heard, many/most of the other ODEs do not do that. Hell the GDEMU doesn't even come with a GUI, you have to use a seperate app to cobble one together and then your SD card is filled with numbered folders that are hard to identify. From what I gather, with MODE you'll be able to put folders on the card/drive with real names. You can also divide your games into categories (US, JP, Homebrew, etc etc etc just like all of your other flash carts). No taking that card/drive into an app to get it ready, etc. Also it reads actual usable image formats in the case of the Saturn. I really like being able to use a SATA drive. Or rather I will once I get one. It's easier to source a large SATA drive than an SD card and for cheaper as well. I don't see many 2 TB SD cards. That's because SD cards are for wimps *hides my SD cards from view*.
    Last edited by Joe Redifer; 04-19-2020 at 02:34 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    From what I understand Fenrir is so hard to get that you can't even pay a gouger for one. If it weren't for MODE, Fenrir would have been destined to realistically only be available on the secondary market for hundreds of dollars. Doesn't it also only support one model of Saturn?

PSIO has warnings that it requires an "intermmediate" level of modding of hardware. Even if it was plug 'n play, the potential market is 100+ miillion. The return on investment is unlimited.

MODE is the kind of product for people who buy Everdrives instead of crude flashcarts which require file and folder customization.

Something else to keep in mind is that the only fully functional SNES and N64 flash carts are around the same price as MODE, even though they also have a massive potential market.
    Fenrir was promised to get bigger batches, but then corona happened. PSIO does require some soldering, yes. As for Everdrive prices, nope, I paid around 70e for a Super Everdrive and 90e for Everdrive64 2.5. Still less than half of this.

This like people who want to wait until an upcoming console generation winds down or gets retired, so they can buy one "cheap".

It's only theoretically cheap to wait years for an alternate product to potentially reach completion or the same functional equivalent of an "expensive" device ready ship in a few weeks. Even if it ever happens you still missed out on years of actual game playing.
    Lol, this is me. I'd never pay over 100e for a console, hard limit. Indeed I get years late to game X, but my backlog is so huge it doesn't really matter. I mean I'm only up to Wii U right now in my backlog, even if I bought a new console on release day, I'd get around to actually playing it several years after in every case haha.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Wow. If I hadn't jumped on the Rhea and GDEmu boat I'd have been all over this one. Looks like a good, faff free upgrade.
    Last edited by cleeg; 04-20-2020 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    One thing that's nice is that the MODE will play any region game on any region console. From what I've heard, many/most of the other ODEs do not do that. Hell the GDEMU doesn't even come with a GUI, you have to use a seperate app to cobble one together and then your SD card is filled with numbered folders that are hard to identify. From what I gather, with MODE you'll be able to put folders on the card/drive with real names. You can also divide your games into categories (US, JP, Homebrew, etc etc etc just like all of your other flash carts). No taking that card/drive into an app to get it ready, etc. Also it reads actual usable image formats in the case of the Saturn. I really like being able to use a SATA drive. Or rather I will once I get one. It's easier to source a large SATA drive than an SD card and for cheaper as well. I don't see many 2 TB SD cards. That's because SD cards are for wimps *hides my SD cards from view*.
    Those were the points I was making.

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    Fenrir was promised to get bigger batches, but then corona happened. PSIO does require some soldering, yes. As for Everdrive prices, nope, I paid around 70e for a Super Everdrive and 90e for Everdrive64 2.5. Still less than half of this.
    Well the Super Everdrive is how many years old? Ditto ED64 2.5 and you likely got board only or just a generic case. Both of those have been replaced by Krikzz with more advanced features and compatibility, and the price went up like 75% on those. If you get something "deluxe" that say Stone Age Gamer offers, like I do, the price gets pretty high. But again, Terraonion is priced at the higher end. You're getting a complete product.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

The Super Everdrive doesn't play or do everything that a fully functional flashcart does. The budget Everdrive 64 requires reseting to save and doesn't support games with clocks.

https://stoneagegamer.com/flash/snes/carts/fxpak-pro/

https://stoneagegamer.com/flash/nint...verdrive64-x7/

A 15 year old tototek flash card that holds one game at a time is not equal to something like the MegaSD, but it is cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

The Super Everdrive doesn't play or do everything that a fully functional flashcart does. The budget Everdrive 64 requires reseting to save and doesn't support games with clocks.

https://stoneagegamer.com/flash/snes/carts/fxpak-pro/

https://stoneagegamer.com/flash/nint...verdrive64-x7/

A 15 year old tototek flash card that holds one game at a time is not equal to something like the MegaSD, but it is cheaper.
    You are cherry-picking; the N64 library includes exactly one game with a clock. ED64 2.5 has merely 99.99% compatibility, the one clock title (Animal Forest Japan) and Pokemon Stadium 2 excepted every single title works. For you to keep that attitude constant, you'd need to blast this product if even one title fails with it, given you blast ED64 for two titles.

Fxpak/ex-sd2snes supports some expansion chips, but not all. So I wouldn't call it "fully functional" either. It supports a couple dozen more titles.

@Greg2600
    Both came with a good-quality case, and both are still actively produced and sold. There are higher-end options for people who want such; however comparing those Everdrives to MODE is both apples and oranges, and even then they are still cheaper. I would put PSIO at the same quality level, and the price difference is massive - there are far cheaper methods for PS1, PSIO *is* the deluxe option there.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

I would put PSIO at the same quality level, and the price difference is massive - there are far cheaper methods for PS1, PSIO *is* the deluxe option there.
    This PSIO?

https://www.retrorgb.com/psio-re-reviews.html

The PSIO that requires soldering a board to the console? And a lot of games require patching before they work?

Sure, it might be $75 cheaper than Terraonion's MODE, but it seems that the MODE is a much better product.

182 eur + customs + taxes, kinda a lot for an ODE. Though they do promise good features.
    Not really. For the list of features, it's perfectly reasonable. And it's not like this break the bank or anything.

Hm, looks like there are 24 US titles that would need copy protection patches, until they add sub-channel support. Certainly a downside if you like those specific games and don't want to go to the hassle.

Nameless One

Any suggestions for the Hard Drive ? Iíll be using this for Saturn predominantly.

Thread Information