Quantcast

Thread: Attempting to repair a Budokan cart and running out of things to test

Default Attempting to repair a Budokan cart and running out of things to test

Hi there. I'm currently working on a Budokan cartridge that boots to a black screen. So far I've done the following:

-Extreme deep clean of the whole board with IPA

-Checked every trace. There's no breaks even on the two where there's brown flecks (as you can see in the photo).

-Did that diode test on both IC's. Every pin on both comes in at about 0.6v, except for the VCC's which are ~0.45v - so nothing out of the ordinary as far as I can tell

-Checked the three capacitors by desoldering them. The two decoupling caps came in fine, but the electrolytic came in at 59uF when it was supposed to be 47uF, so that was replaced but it didn't fix the problem.

Any pointers for where I could take this? Or is it a goner?

Link to high-res photos of the board: https://imgur.com/gallery/0pE7Zmr

cWLxH7Iedited.jpg
    lqXiRX1edited.jpg
    Last edited by BRIK; 04-20-2020 at 06:07 AM.

Quick update: I tested the ground and VCC pins on both ROMs as it was plugged into my Mega Drive and confirmed that both chips were receiving 5 volts.

Master of Shinobi

Is your cart the US version? If so, and your console has TMSS, it should not work. If that's the case, it is not the electronics of the cart to fault. Even if it's an EA published game, this one did get different regional versions:
    https://segaretro.org/Budokan:_The_Martial_Spirit
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    Is your cart the US version? If so, and your console has TMSS, it should not work. If that's the case, it is not the electronics of the cart to fault. Even if it's an EA published game, this one did get different regional versions:
    To add to this, I've heard that you can run non-TMSS games by playing them through a game genie. You don't have to enter any codes, but the game genie cart has the code to unlock the TMSS, which allows the game to run. I haven't tested this myself though, as I don't own any old non-TMSS games.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

As far as I know, it should be the PAL version (Australia). It was bought secondhand, but it still had a sticker for a local video rental place on it so I assume it worked in PAL consoles. Is there a way to tell on the cartridge? Here's a photo:

Attachment 15394

Master of Shinobi

Cannot see the attachment. Well, go to the sega retro page link and tell us what boxart you do have. Beware that even the PAL EU cart says Genesis (same mold I guess) but NOT the boxart which states for Mega Drive (not Genesis). EU carts are supposed to be TMSS compatible and were released like 6 months later. Mine doesn't work on a Genesis TMSS but should on a PAL Mega Drive TMSS
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

I don't have the boxart, unfortunately. What I might do is get a Game Genie and see what happens. I've been meaning to get one anyway and if it actually boots the game, that would be interesting indeed.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

This is exactly what I was going to post. I actually got a number of games in a lot one time and this and Ishido were both sold as "not working". I knew exactly what was going on and got a great price on the lot
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I'm looking at the cartridge pins from left to right, and there appears to be a lot of degredation the further to the right you go. Try using an erasure to clean up those pins.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Today I went into my local, friendly retro gaming store and they happened to be selling complete copies of Pro Action Replay as new-old stock! Plugging it into my Mega Drive and what do you know... Budokan boots! It's a shame I don't have the boxart as it would be interesting to know if it's in fact a PAL copy or not, but you'd think that would be the case considering it's an ex-rental for a video shop in a suburb local to me. I guess I could compare my own footage to that online and see if it's running slow or not.

Thread Information