Quantcast

Thread: Tomb Raider

Saturn Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider was conceived on the Saturn but found its niche on Sony's PlayStation. Lara Croft went on to practically become the machine's go-to character. Even so, the Saturn version is still highly playable and worth owning. It might not be as visually impressive, but its gameplay still holds up despite its flaws. Read our full review for more details.

Wildside Expert

I enjoyed reading the review but learning some of the flaws you mentioned kind of made me question my own (fond) memories of the time I spent playing the game.

I started playing tomb raider on the saturn and always held that version in high regard. I still think the water effect is superb for the time.

Yes, I did play the playstation version some time later and noticed the performance increase but I don't remember being 'blown away' by it.

As for the sound, I am not sure but I was under the impression the Saturn had slightly better sound than the playstation when comparing the same game on the two systems.

Anyway, I went looking in gamefaqs for the release dates:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/saturn...mb-raider/data

and I can read the japanese versions were released some time later.

Could those versions published by Victor Interactive Software or Pack-In-Video contain some updates, fixes or enhancements to the original PAL release by Eidos?

Wildside Expert

Hmmm, 'Randomised Gaming' has looked into this and points out some subtle changes:

https://randomisedgaming.tumblr.com/...the-unfinished

Wildside Expert

I've been playing Tomb Raiders with the 'larger screen patch' applied and it feels great.

(Find it here: http://meduza-team.ucoz.net/publ/rom...saturn/3-1-0-5)

Yes, there is some sound crackling and performance issues but the 60hz speed boost actually enhances gameplay.

Manipulating the screen geometry attenuates a bit the stretched aspect ratio, not the zoomed-in effect.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Is that a widescreen hack for use on hardware? If so, cool!

I remember my brother getting this for Christmas, it was the first time we'd seen an entire game's world move around the player's character, absolutely blew our minds. For the time, the depth of realism was incredible. I was content to watch for hours and point out secrets and features, such was the immersivity of the experience.

I also liked how you could swim, things like that were usually what you'd expect as a sequel feature that expanded on the original's mechanics.

It still plays well too, very elegant and fluid control scheme that feels right at home with a digital control pad - no mean feat for a 3D game like this. Top notch stuff.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    Is that a widescreen hack for use on hardware? If so, cool!
    Not quite.

If I understood right it appears the Saturn versions were released with side black borders (another bug?) and the patch corrects this by showing a full 4:3 game screen.

There is a code for forcing widescreen in PAL version but does not work correctly. However, I suspect it may be possible, it hasn't been figured out right untill now.

Interestingly, I realized the Playstation USA version of Tomb Raider has a v1.6, so that must mean updates or bug-fixes when compared to the original release!

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Cool, thanks for the info.

Thread Information