Quantcast

Thread: Wonder Boy Returns Remix

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

Master System Wonder Boy Returns Remix

apologies if i missed the thread elsewhere

Grabbed this one on switch with the sale going right now ($9), and it's not perfect but there's things to like here.

the ability to play as Tanya is pretty cool, and the difficulty settings offer easy mode (always invincible) and a really hard mode that states it's the path to ending # 2. there's QOL changes here, from autosaving & replenishing your men when a level is complete, to way more hidden fruit than i recall (i'm only in world 2 so far but have yet to run out of time), and the ability to charge up your hatchet to take out even boulders!

it's been forever since i played the original as a kid (almost collected all the dolls before losing power ) but i recall wonder boy's jumps being a bit floaty, that's definitely here. the dolls, however, don't seem to do anything this time around? so the only replay seems to be if you want to beat your time on a given level, which is a bit of a shame.

it boasts that Ryuichi Nishizawa is at the helm too, not sure to what extant. pretty fun so far, but honestly, platformers make me more nervous than horror games, haha...might take a bit to finish thins one. anyone else giving it a go?

God fucking dammit. How did I miss this?
    05/05/15

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Who would have thought the Wonderboy series would return with a Remake, A Sequel, and a remix within the past 3 years we have gotten all 3. Now we just need MWIV ported over to modern consoles.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    God fucking dammit. How did I miss this?
    shit has been quiet as kept. i know we're seeing all sorts of revivals (panzer, toejam & earl, etc) but there's been zero buzz on this one, somehow

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    Who would have thought the Wonderboy series would return with a Remake, A Sequel, and a remix within the past 3 years we have gotten all 3. Now we just need MWIV ported over to modern consoles.
    right? was just saying elsewhere, we finally see IV with a proper translation this gen, now 3 sees an excellent remake, monster boy was fucking fantastic, and now this! absolutely spoiled, though if i could push my luck, id love to see lizardcube remake monster world, still one of my all-time favorites

My 1st experience was in a Pizza Hut with this game of all places. I dumped so many quarters into it along with Alien Syndrome.
    05/05/15

The original Returns was almost like a flash game and very average, getting discounted often until they removed it from Steam and released this at full price.
    What Remix improves over it?

Thread Information