Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I suck at Sega racing games. Why?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Centrale's Avatar

The key to making Sega Touring Car Championship playable (not easy, but actually playable) is to use a racing wheel. It's just not well-optimized for a regular controller. Still, even with a wheel, I found it very touchy. It was definitely an attempt at a more serious simulation from Sega at the time, and I reckon they went too far with the steering sensitivity. It seems like it would be a good candidate for a hack to modify it to be more playable by current standards, but I don't know if there's even an active hacking/modding community for the Saturn.

One Saturn game that feels really great and fun with a wheel is Manx TT.

Turbo Out Run is a game that I would have to say is just really unfair, with some curves that are just impossible to take with any speed. I've been playing the 3DS version which has some ways to modify the game and it's still just got turns that are really hard to deal with. But it's interesting to keep trying just to see the different scenery.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Some of the games are compatible with the 3D control pad, including Sega Touring and Manx TT Superbike (I can hear that British announcer guy saying the name in my head), and I like playing them that way. Big fan of the analog stick.

Wildside Expert

I agree. Manx TT is highly playable with the NiGHTS analog pad as well as the regular Saturn d-pad.

Wildside Expert

I have been playing with the 3D pad and I am definitely improving in STTC.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher StuOhQ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    Let it be known in the year 2020 I just learned it has a good ending/ Welp...
    Lol same. I would generally consider myself pretty "okay" at racing games, and it still takes me hours to get a new one down.

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: Make Your Switch Games Sharper! Improve Picture Quality without Hacks or Mods Bit Sized, Episode 4

Thread Information