Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I suck at Sega racing games. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Lync View Post
    I also suck at Sega racing games.

Which is why Turbo Outrun is better than Outrun.

Turbo has always received an unfair rap.

I used to play it all the time at the local movie theater, it was so much more forgiving than Outrun. You didn't need to be perfect at every turn. If you bumped a car or truck that didn't cost you the game. It was very much "pick-up-and-play" rather than an exercise in studying every corner and straightway.

I love Outrun too. But it's far more psychology.

Turbo blessed you with check-points so you could improve on that track and not at the cost of having to replay everything before it. I liked having the rival and police cars setting pace. Losing the girlfriend for poor driving. And I miss the branching paths, but I also didn't mind the simplified scope.

It might not have the aesthetics or atmosphere, but visually Turbo still looked great with some neat weather effects.

And yeah, I liked the turbo button. It added a small-bit of strategy, sure, but burning up the oil-slicks on the Chicago or L.A. stages was so cool.

But for someone who also sucks at Sega driving games: Turbo is the game.

Did I mention the music rocked:
    You aren't kidding about the music and that's whats for me makes OutRun 2006 so bloody awesome in that you can play it with Turbo's music tracks

I liked Turbo in the Arcades it was fun. I was just a little let down with how rough it looked compared to the original even though it was using the same hardware
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Centrale's Avatar

I also suck at Sega racing games.

Which is why Turbo Outrun is better than Outrun.

Turbo has always received an unfair rap.
    Interesting take on Turbo Outrun! I never played it much in the arcades. My main experience with it is the Sega 3D Classics version. I feel like some of the turns are a bit unfair in Turbo, but that might be due in part to the lower camera angle and the copious amounts of obstacles and occasional weather effects making visibility difficult. My experience is that I'm much better at OG Outrun than Turbo, but hearing your points about it makes me want to give it some more effort and get into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Centrale View Post
    Interesting take on Turbo Outrun! I never played it much in the arcades. My main experience with it is the Sega 3D Classics version. I feel like some of the turns are a bit unfair in Turbo, but that might be due in part to the lower camera angle and the copious amounts of obstacles and occasional weather effects making visibility difficult. My experience is that I'm much better at OG Outrun than Turbo, but hearing your points about it makes me want to give it some more effort and get into it.
    For sure worth another try! (As long as it's the arcade of Turbo Outrun, which is the only version I've played)!

I've never looked twice at the Genesis port or knew about the FM Towns Marty rendition!

Original Outrun in its favor really had some nice home ports; I'd put Saturn Outrun above all else in the franchise since I can reach the ending on 'super easy' without wanting to break something...

Genesis Outrun is solid too and an interesting case just because of that exclusive hidden ending, hehe.

For sure worth another try! (As long as it's the arcade of Turbo Outrun, which is the only version I've played)!

I've never looked twice at the Genesis port or knew about the FM Towns Marty rendition!

Original Outrun in its favor really had some nice home ports; I'd put Saturn Outrun above all else in the franchise since I can reach the ending on 'super easy' without wanting to break something...

Genesis Outrun is solid too and an interesting case just because of that exclusive hidden ending, hehe.
    I liked it the Arcades but the graphics seemed like a big downgrade (but still looking better than most other racers). The music was awesome mind (Rush a Difficulty is just the best) I was gutted when this and Outrunners was never ported to the Saturn and instead we got Rad Mobile What on earth was SEGA thinking?
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thread Information