Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I suck at Sega racing games. Why?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Centrale's Avatar

The key to making Sega Touring Car Championship playable (not easy, but actually playable) is to use a racing wheel. It's just not well-optimized for a regular controller. Still, even with a wheel, I found it very touchy. It was definitely an attempt at a more serious simulation from Sega at the time, and I reckon they went too far with the steering sensitivity. It seems like it would be a good candidate for a hack to modify it to be more playable by current standards, but I don't know if there's even an active hacking/modding community for the Saturn.

One Saturn game that feels really great and fun with a wheel is Manx TT.

Turbo Out Run is a game that I would have to say is just really unfair, with some curves that are just impossible to take with any speed. I've been playing the 3DS version which has some ways to modify the game and it's still just got turns that are really hard to deal with. But it's interesting to keep trying just to see the different scenery.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Some of the games are compatible with the 3D control pad, including Sega Touring and Manx TT Superbike (I can hear that British announcer guy saying the name in my head), and I like playing them that way. Big fan of the analog stick.

Road Rasher

I agree. Manx TT is highly playable with the NiGHTS analog pad as well as the regular Saturn d-pad.

Wildside Expert

I have been playing with the 3D pad and I am definitely improving in STTC.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher StuOhQ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    Let it be known in the year 2020 I just learned it has a good ending/ Welp...
    Lol same. I would generally consider myself pretty "okay" at racing games, and it still takes me hours to get a new one down.

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

I grew up with an Out Run arcade cab at my parent's restaurant and played it everyday but never really got good at it. At best I'd reach the third checkpoint. I've always been better at console-exclusive racers than arcade racers.

Sega racing games all play better on the arcades. As for the home versions, it all comes down to the quality of the ports. Sega Rally and Virtua Racing Deluxe play like a dream. STTC and Daytona CCE both have crappy controls in the Saturn versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Orchid87 View Post
    Sega racing games all play better on the arcades. As for the home versions, it all comes down to the quality of the ports. Sega Rally and Virtua Racing Deluxe play like a dream. STTC and Daytona CCE both have crappy controls in the Saturn versions.
    I found Rally to play and control better on the Saturn, than the Arcades. I rather play Outrun 2006 on the Xbox than the Arcades thanks to the extra's and more so the added Turbo Outrun music. Daytona USA CE didn't really have poor controls, it played and controlled lovely, just nothing like the Arcade version sadly and the AI was changed too but as a driving game in its own right, it's really good. Touring Car controlled and played like a mess. Sega Rally 2 had terrible controls too but one you got used to them. The game was ace and featured some of the best course design in any Sega Racer

F355 was ace on the DC too and controlled like a dream with the wheel, but it's had to beat the 3 screen deluxe version. Nobody makes a better racer than Yu 'GOD' Suzuki
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    F355 was ace on the DC too and controlled like a dream with the wheel, but it's had to beat the 3 screen deluxe version. Nobody makes a better racer than Yu 'GOD' Suzuki
    With all due respect, Kenji Sasaki is my dude
    Btw, isn't F355 on Dreamcast basically arcade perfect?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Centrale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orchid87 View Post
    Btw, isn't F355 on Dreamcast basically arcade perfect?
    Basically, but the sit-down arcade cabinet had three screens, so you had a much wider field of view.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    Some of the games are compatible with the 3D control pad, including Sega Touring and Manx TT Superbike (I can hear that British announcer guy saying the name in my head), and I like playing them that way. Big fan of the analog stick.
    Hang-On GP would have been a much better game, if it had analog control. I tried cheating it with the 3D pad, but I had to just move the stick ever so slightly to make it happen.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Hang-On GP would have been a much better game, if it had analog control. I tried cheating it with the 3D pad, but I had to just move the stick ever so slightly to make it happen.
    Hang On did. You just had to use the Arcade racer. Also, games like Need for Speed on the Saturn supported the Mission stick for analogue controls too' It's quite surprising how well Hang On and Manx TT play with the Arcade racer, Sega Touring cars is also better, but still poor.
    Sega Rally is ace with the Arcade racer as is Outrun. I find Daytona USA to play better with the pad mind for some strange reason
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Hang On did. You just had to use the Arcade racer. Also, games like Need for Speed on the Saturn supported the Mission stick for analogue controls too' It's quite surprising how well Hang On and Manx TT play with the Arcade racer, Sega Touring cars is also better, but still poor.
    Sega Rally is ace with the Arcade racer as is Outrun. I find Daytona USA to play better with the pad mind for some strange reason
    Yes, but it doesnít support the 3D pad. Iíve used the pad with Manxx TT just fine, but that game came out after the release of the 3D pad.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Yes, but it doesnít support the 3D pad. Iíve used the pad with Manxx TT just fine, but that game came out after the release of the 3D pad.
    Well if it was analogue controls you wanted you just had to get the Arcade Racer or even to a point the mission stick. Need for Speed on the 3DO also supported the 3DO flight controller for analogue controls LOL
    Hang-On and Manx TT play so well with the Arcade racer and Rally is just perfect with it, much like Outrun. I find Power Drift to play better with the 3D pad myself and Daytona USA (AM#2) to play better with the standard pad
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

I also suck at Sega racing games.

Which is why Turbo Outrun is better than Outrun.

Turbo has always received an unfair rap.

I used to play it all the time at the local movie theater, it was so much more forgiving than Outrun. You didn't need to be perfect at every turn. If you bumped a car or truck that didn't cost you the game. It was very much "pick-up-and-play" rather than an exercise in studying every corner and straightway.

I love Outrun too. But it's far more psychology.

Turbo blessed you with check-points so you could improve on that track and not at the cost of having to replay everything before it. I liked having the rival and police cars setting pace. Losing the girlfriend for poor driving. And I miss the branching paths, but I also didn't mind the simplified scope.

It might not have the aesthetics or atmosphere, but visually Turbo still looked great with some neat weather effects.

And yeah, I liked the turbo button. It added a small-bit of strategy, sure, but burning up the oil-slicks on the Chicago or L.A. stages was so cool.

But for someone who also sucks at Sega driving games: Turbo is the game.

Did I mention the music rocked:

Thread Information