Quantcast

Thread: M.U.S.H.A. Manual & Artwork Weight

Wildside Expert

Default M.U.S.H.A. Manual & Artwork Weight

This may be an odd request, but can anyone weigh their original M.U.S.H.A. manual & artwork insert for me? I just want to confirm the authenticity of a copy I own. I am also a coin collector so I have a jewelry scale, and I weighed my manual & artwork. The manual weighs 18.44 grams & the artwork weighs 3.97 grams. I also weighed the artwork insert for "Air Diver" since that was also released in 1990 by Seismic, and it's exactly the same weight as M.U.S.H.A. I see so many copies and reprints, and I'm quite certain a reproduction manual would weigh significantly more since it would likely be printed on heavier photo paper, but I don't have (or know anyone else who has) another manual for comparison.

I don't think I own a scale for anything as light. But these are the OCD steps I used to take buying Genesis:

I would compare the insert by size. Sandwich it between two official inserts and check to see if the size is noticeably bigger, smaller, or miscut.

The manual, sounds funny, but I swear I used to think I could tell legit or not by the staples. Find an official manual, look at the type of staple and the placement along the spine.

Also, the feel of the print.

When I was at college, we had some of the most high-end printers with hi-gloss stock paper. I would print inserts for clam shells (TO GAMES NOT OFFICIALLY RELEASED) and it was so difficult to tell the difference unless you touched an official print - they are a little more "waxy?"

Last thing, where I think someone not familiar with print will screw up, is the cut.

If you see white lines along the face of the edges, that means it was not cut with a printed bleed, and I don't think I've seen that on official prints. Especially if the white tappers from one end to another, which means the cut wasn't even made squarely and is some goof using an xacto-blade and ruler...

Post some pictures, next time I go home I'll look.

But this is the kind of sh!t that kills me with reproductions of legitimate releases...

Wildside Expert

I have noticed the staple placement on mine is the same as photos of legitimate manuals I've seen. Also, the paper (both on the cover and the inner pages) seems to be exactly the same as "Air Diver". I'm just always a little paranoid when it comes to commonly reproduced games.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Japanese or American? I have access to scales that might work and have both games, I'll try and remember this week. Feel free to remind me!

Wildside Expert

The U.S. version.

Thread Information