Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40

Thread: On Sega licensing out old IPs (M2's Naoki Horii and Panzer Dragoon VR)

  1. #16
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    we got the original creator on shenmue 3 and it sucked beyond belief.
    Wasn't that because they made it so close to the original concept of Shenmue that it pretty much played like a 18 year old game?

    edit: and the epic store game fiasco (the original kickstarter claimed a steam release, then they made it Epic exclusive, then they made it so it's on Steam some time later - it's still not out on steam).

  2. #17
    The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    My Chair
    Posts
    4,851
    Rep Power
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    Wasn't that because they made it so close to the original concept of Shenmue that it pretty much played like a 18 year old game?

    edit: and the epic store game fiasco (the original kickstarter claimed a steam release, then they made it Epic exclusive, then they made it so it's on Steam some time later - it's still not out on steam).
    Shenmue 1 is still enjoyable. Shenmue III is like the took the cliff notes of Shenmue 1 but left out the details why it was liked then tried to fill in what was missing with new shit like a stamina meter that doubles as your health. It runs out even by standing. It's worse than when Lunar DS lost HP for running. You lose health by standing or walking or blinking or farting or anything. It's fucking stupid.

    Life!? ... What console is that on?



    [PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99


  3. #18
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    5,776
    Rep Power
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    Shenmue 1 is still enjoyable. Shenmue III is like the took the cliff notes of Shenmue 1 but left out the details why it was liked then tried to fill in what was missing with new shit like a stamina meter that doubles as your health. It runs out even by standing. It's worse than when Lunar DS lost HP for running. You lose health by standing or walking or blinking or farting or anything. It's fucking stupid.
    Shenmue III is exactly what you numpties asked for .... The ones who didn't care about gfx, the scale ... Just wanted Sheunmue... It was done on the cheap and it was an
    cheap imitation of Shenmue
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  4. #19
    The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    My Chair
    Posts
    4,851
    Rep Power
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Shenmue III is exactly what you numpties asked for .... The ones who didn't care about gfx, the scale ... Just wanted Sheunmue... It was done on the cheap and it was an
    cheap imitation of Shenmue
    Stop being a spaz.

    Life!? ... What console is that on?



    [PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99


  5. #20
    The Gentleman Thief Baloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,583
    Rep Power
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    we got the original creator on shenmue 3 and it sucked beyond belief.
    Depends on your point of view for that one. Seems like diehard Shenmue fans loved that the series hadn't gotten any better from the first game, with the same bad voice acting, cryptic story, and true-to-life movement and controls. If you didn't like the first two games, Shenmue III wasn't going to be any different. And remember, Ys Net and Sony published that game, SEGA had nothing to do with it again.

    Seems like SEGA just wants other people to pay them for their own IPs that they developed well years ago. Can't blame them when the company has taken so many losses, and since there is so much risk in developing these games even today. Streets of Rage 4 is the perfect kind of situation for SEGA. Makes their own older IPs valuable, with no risk of development to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!



    Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

  6. #21
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Sega licensing out their IPs more actively is a fucksight better situation than all those classics in limbo for an eternity. Especially since they seem to be licensing them out to people who are huge fans and therefore have more of an inkling on how to give the games justice, than some numbnut studio executive who wants to pinch every penny out of the deal.

  7. #22
    The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    My Chair
    Posts
    4,851
    Rep Power
    59

    Default

    7th gen was so terrible in that way. Execs decided we need our Japanese IPs to appeal more to westerners. So we got Bomberman Act Zero. DmC: Devil May Cry. Bionic Commando Wife Arm. Golden Axe Beast Rider. Sonic Werewolf. Front Mission Evolved. Much more. We almost got Mega Man generic gritty FPS reboot. The SOR4 we almost got looked to be another gritty generic POS. Look at concept art for the cancelled Strider reboot. It would have been very gritty and the most generic ninja design ever. Thankfully we got a proper Strider game but almost didn't.

    Meanwhile while I think Shenmue III sucks. It's trying to be Shenmue. SOR4 we did get feels like an actual successor. Toe Jam and Earl. Panzer Dragoon remake is trying to be faithful. Sonic Mania feels the most like a Sonic game in 2 decades. So they at least trying to feel and look like faithful additions to the franchises while in the 7th gen....*ugh*

    Life!? ... What console is that on?



    [PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99


  8. #23
    Raging in the Streets Sik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,980
    Rep Power
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Shenmue III is exactly what you numpties asked for .... The ones who didn't care about gfx, the scale ... Just wanted Sheunmue... It was done on the cheap and it was an
    cheap imitation of Shenmue
    Incidentally this is the inverse of what happened with SOR4. You have a few "diehard fans" bitching that it isn't an exact clone of SOR2, but everybody else seems to love it (soundtrack aside… the boss theme doesn't feel boss enough, seriously). And it's probably in Sega's best interests to do that, if you ask me, they don't want to get stuck with an aging demographic (of which many start abandoning games because they don't have the time or are just fed up with playing them).

    Also I should mention that Sonic started going downhill when the original developers started getting fed up with it. Heck, it's the reason why Saturn never had a proper main Sonic game (and basically fucked Sega out of the console market long term), Sonic Team wanted to work on other things. At some point developers want to move on.

  9. #24
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    I'm a diehard SOR fan and SOR4 is tons of fun, all it needs is a few tweaks to make it more fair. SOR2 was stupid difficult on Mania but always felt fair; SOR4 just feels like you can't do a thing once you start getting juggled. Yeah, the music could be better, but the combo system is extremely smooth and makes up for the bad points. And Axel and Blaze need a dash because they feel handicapped now (even Floyd can bunny hop to move around fast).

    For Sonic, the original devs got fed up because they were forced to work on it nonstop for 3-4 years and wanted a break, hence Nights. Saturn fell out of the console market for completely other reasons - they simply couldn't manufacture enough units because it was too expensive, and stores did not carry their consoles in the US, plus Sony undercut them in everything (including developers).

  10. #25
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    5,776
    Rep Power
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post

    Also I should mention that Sonic started going downhill when the original developers started getting fed up with it. Heck, it's the reason why Saturn never had a proper main Sonic game (and basically fucked Sega out of the console market long term), Sonic Team wanted to work on other things. At some point developers want to move on.
    Good point and that's my fear with the Yakuza Team and IP.. Having near enough yearly sequels is a sure fine way, to kill creativity and then the team.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  11. #26
    Underground Sega Nut BonusKun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,725
    Rep Power
    61

    Alex Kidd

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Shenmue III is exactly what you numpties asked for ...
    No. I did not once ask for Shenmue III.
    05/05/15

  12. #27
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    5,776
    Rep Power
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    No. I did not once ask for Shenmue III.
    You aren't a Numptie mind
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  13. #28
    Underground Sega Nut BonusKun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,725
    Rep Power
    61

    Sonic

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    You aren't a Numptie mind
    Btw I'm proud of you calling people numbnuts. It's the 1st time I've seen you throw a random insult at people. lol

    I repped you for that too.
    05/05/15

  14. #29
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    5,776
    Rep Power
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    Btw I'm proud of you calling people numbnuts. It's the 1st time I've seen you throw a random insult at people. lol

    I repped you for that too.
    Well I always thought it was foolish to expect Shenmue 3 to be done on the cheap and with a small team . It was always going to letdown people sadly .

    Shenmue needs tons of cash and a huge team, otherwise it's not Shenmue
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  15. #30
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    229
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Well I always thought it was foolish to expect Shenmue 3 to be done on the cheap and with a small team . It was always going to letdown people sadly .

    Shenmue needs tons of cash and a huge team, otherwise it's not Shenmue

    I agree, unfortunately we don't live in the timeline where Shenmue and Dreamcast succeeded, I think we were extremely lucky to have a Shenmue 3 with not many compromises in the end, and with the original creator on board.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •