Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Road Rash Series

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Default The Road Rash Series

Yet another excellent upload from Sega Lord X. In this video he covers the entire series of Road Rash games on multiple platforms, but since EA's famous motorbike franchise started life on everybody's favourite 16 bit console, I thought I'd post this in here. Enjoy!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One McValdemar's Avatar

Happy to see that he covered also the (disappointing) SegaCD version

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker eukara's Avatar

I first played the Jailbreak one for PSX at a friends place back when it came out. Captain Draco (?) was a notorious name amongst friends.
    When I last played Road Rash 2 on the Mega Drive, it was quite choppy when it came to the splitscreen multiplayer to the point where it was difficult to avoid stuff over hills.
    I don't know what the general community consesus about that is.
    Maybe some MD veterans cut it some slack because there was not much else to compare it to, would love to know.

No complaint about the singleplayer though. That thing is awesome. If the framerate was better there, that'd be even more awesome - but it's okay as it is.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by eukara View Post
    Maybe some MD veterans cut it some slack because there was not much else to compare it to, would love to know.
    Basically, yeah. We had loads of fun and didn't really seem to notice back then. Played it two player recently with the same person I mainly played it with back then and although we still had fun, we were both like, "did it run this bad back in the day?".

A lot of games just ran badly back then. Wasn't the 16-bit version of Virtua Racing something like 12fps?

Nah, 15 FPS (which is actually faster than the framerate of the Road Rash games — the coprocessor really helps). Now, Star Fox…

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

I have all three of the sega genesis road rash games. My favorite one is #2. I love the graphics, tracks, and the music.
    The only issue is 2-player mode has an extremely low frame rate, probably due to slow processing. That also applies to the third one too.

Oh, and can anyone tell me what those orange slabs are that appear in the Hawaii level?

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedOfLight View Post
    I have all three of the sega genesis road rash games. My favorite one is #2. I love the graphics, tracks, and the music.
    The only issue is 2-player mode has an extremely low frame rate, probably due to slow processing. That also applies to the third one too.

Oh, and can anyone tell me what those orange slabs are that appear in the Hawaii level?
    Yeah I agree that Road Rash 2 is the best of the trilogy. As for the Hawaii level, I'm not sure what those orange slabs are but I do know that I love the music.

I still don't understand why did they use real scaling for the Genesis RR games. It's the reason the games run like shit - Genesis is too slow for realtime scaling, as opposed to fake scaling used by some 16-bit racing games. Lotus RECS runs very well.

Speaking of the series, I am surprised at how much I've enjoyed Road Rash 3D when I finally have tried it. I remember that it was critically panned at the time.

The scaling probably seemed like a good idea at the time…

I wonder if memory played a role there — you only need to store one copy of each sprite, as the scaled variants are generated on the fly. The Amiga version runs much smoother since it doesn't do real-time scaling, but it also has a significant amount of RAM that it can devote exclusively to just playing the current stage and nothing else (no idea if it's like that on disk or if it scales them at load time).

A better question is WTF is the Sega CD version doing. All they had to do was take the original engine and replace the scaler to use the ASIC instead, but instead it seems to be doing something really weird that keeps making it slower. At first I thought it was something like uploading the full screen every frame or the like, but paying attention more carefully it's more like the road is advanced in coarse steps? What?

No, seriously, WTF (gameplay at 2:23 if it doesn't seek)

Wouldn't it be possible to stream the multiple pre-scaled sprites from the cart?

That's precisely what I was referring about with memory though, don't forget that larger ROMs cost more money. Having only one copy of each sprite and then upscaling could have helped reduce the size of the ROM (even when accounting for things like unrolled loops, don't forget that prescaled sprites add up quickly).

Would have been nice to decouple the game itself from the scaling tho. If the sprites moved more smoothly even if the scaling took several frames to update (i.e. sprite keeps moving around even when its graphic doesn't) it would have still looked and felt much better. That can make the code more complex though, but it's doable. Maybe somebody should try doing it with homebrew some day :​P

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

One thing I actually just realized, in Road Rash 1 (and the sequels too) there's a female character called Natasja.
    Natasja gives the player helpful hints, and in the ending she pulls you over her bike and drives off with you.

BUT! you can also treat her badly, and smack her on the road or kick her off her bike that kinda stuff.
    after which her attitude towards the player takes a drastic turn, complete with betrayed facial portrait.

So my question is.. Does this effect the ending at all? would she still be enamored enough to drive off with you after receiving a chain to the face in the first race?

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    One thing I actually just realized, in Road Rash 1 (and the sequels too) there's a female character called Natasja.
    Natasja gives the player helpful hints, and in the ending she pulls you over her bike and drives off with you.

BUT! you can also treat her badly, and smack her on the road or kick her off her bike that kinda stuff.
    after which her attitude towards the player takes a drastic turn, complete with betrayed facial portrait.

So my question is.. Does this effect the ending at all? would she still be enamored enough to drive off with you after receiving a chain to the face in the first race?
    Hmm good question. I was always nice to Natasha so I don't know about any other possible ending, but you're right, if you hit her or knock her off during a race she won't forgive you and becomes almost as big of a bitch to you as P.E No.1

…Road Rash has an ending? 0_0 (I thought it crashed after level 5… at least one of the games does from what I recall)

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    …Road Rash has an ending? 0_0

Thread Information