Quantcast

Thread: Sonic, SOR and Shining Force proto footage

Megadrive Sonic, SOR and Shining Force proto footage

The videos had been uploaded some months ago but were noticed only now. These are video magazines from back in the day advertising the upcoming games, and some of them are prototype versions.

First, Sonic 1 and Streets of Rage 1… which uh, are different, alright (Sonic 1 has just about every holy grail including even the victory animation, Streets of Rage is early as heck period)

And this video has Shining Force 1 too with quite a few changes too (also Toejam & Earl 1 but that one seems final)

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

That Shining Force music stuff is utterly incredible. I never expected the (slightly remixed?) Shining in the Darkness music!

Lots of other weird little things, too.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Funny narration for SOR (at 9:06) translated: "Sega's original street fighter action game, Bare Knuckle! Of course, it supports 2-player simultaneous play, which is necessary for any fighting game."

I imagine the video came out right as Street Fighter II was exploding in arcades. It specifically calls SOR a fighting game (格闘ゲーム) rather than a beat em up. There may have been differences in usage back then that I don't know about though. But it really seems like they were trying to sell SOR based on SFII's popularity - even going so far as to callling it a "street fighter" action game!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Stifu's Avatar

Interesting. That proto Y Signal looks awful!
    Good thing they decided to just rip J and Two P from Final Fight instead.
    Last edited by Stifu; 05-10-2020 at 02:21 PM.

Amazing find! Removing the ball in Green Hill Zone and the UFOs in Marble Zone was probably a wise decision. Less is more!

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Funny narration for SOR (at 9:06) translated: "Sega's original street fighter action game, Bare Knuckle! Of course, it supports 2-player simultaneous play, which is necessary for any fighting game."

I imagine the video came out right as Street Fighter II was exploding in arcades. It specifically calls SOR a fighting game (格闘ゲーム) rather than a beat em up. There may have been differences in usage back then that I don't know about though. But it really seems like they were trying to sell SOR based on SFII's popularity - even going so far as to callling it a "street fighter" action game!
    That 2 player thing they mentioned was probably a nod to SFC Final Fight :P.

But yeah, they were probably thinking about Street Fighter II as well. Many characters in the SoRII are very similar to Street Fighter II characters and Axel's special moves in the beta were directly ripped of from Ryu/Ken's specials.

Here is another one from the same channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj-vabuuQcI
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Master of Shinobi

I think usage typically was different, and I think location played a part. For example, in the UK one on one fighters were commonly referred to as "beat 'em ups" through the '90s and probably into the early 2000s. Using "beat 'em up" to refer to scrolling games alone seems to have been more a US thing, where in the UK it was used interchangeably with "fighting game". Given that the one on one genre didn't really explode until Street Fighter II, it's possible that the definitions were a bit more loose even in the US back then.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    I think usage typically was different, and I think location played a part. For example, in the UK one on one fighters were commonly referred to as "beat 'em ups" through the '90s and probably into the early 2000s. Using "beat 'em up" to refer to scrolling games alone seems to have been more a US thing, where in the UK it was used interchangeably with "fighting game". Given that the one on one genre didn't really explode until Street Fighter II, it's possible that the definitions were a bit more loose even in the US back then.
    I got curious and checked out the old Japanese magazines, and they do refer to both scrolling beat em ups and 1-vs-1 fighting games as the same ("kakutou game" 格闘ゲーム). I guess at some point later on, the term came to be used to refer only to 1-vs-1 fighting games. But at least early on, they assigned Street Fighter II and Streets of Rage to the same genre.

There's also the part where the mechanics for 1-on-1 fighting games were all over the place until Street Fighter II happened, and even beat'em-ups used to be in a similar situation before Final Fight, so it was all still really loose.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Aleste's Avatar

But at least early on, they assigned Street Fighter II and Streets of Rage to the same genre.
    Well, if you consider that Final Fight was to be titled Street Fighter at some point...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training bootsector's Avatar

I wonder if that SoR prototype will ever be dumped. I would love to play with Wolf instead of Adam!

Thread Information