Quantcast

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Something fishy is going on with Retro Game Sales...

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post
    I see an opening too, I'm gonna buy all the fuckin' Twinkies in the land and when someone wants a Twinkie it's 50 fuckin' bucks or no Twinkie for your fat ass. Oh right, the scalpers already tried to "retire" on the Twinkie didn't they?
    LOL!! I remember that with the Twinkies. It's just human nature to buy something at one price with the expectation of selling it to someone else at a higher price. People do it every day with games, stocks, real estate, foreign currencies etc. No one is forced to buy at the higher price though.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    It's just human nature to buy something at one price with the expectation of selling it to someone else at a higher price. People do it every day with games, stocks, real estate, foreign currencies etc. No one is forced to buy at the higher price though.
    Except during a natural disaster and the water system is out of commission and you need to buy bottled water and .... some scalping fucker has bought up all the bottled water and selling it at $5 a bottle. But I guess that's ok too...Right? LOL!

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    Except during a natural disaster and the water system is out of commission and you need to buy bottled water and .... some scalping fucker has bought up all the bottled water and selling it at $5 a bottle. But I guess that's ok too...Right? LOL!
    Yes. Of course. Without an increase in price the quantity available would soon drop to zero. That scalping fucker has guaranteed you will still be able to buy some water, even if it costs a little more than you might like. It's also greedy people like him who will be racing to the disaster site with as much bottled water as they can carry, while FEMA and the humanitarian groups take their time.

Have you ever sold anything for more than what you paid for it?

I almost always sell for less than I paid. Most stuff depreciates. I don't look at everyday, ordinary items as long term investments. I make a living producing my own goods and services.

Scalpers create an artificial disruption in supply, that's why they are not needed. If they hadn't bought all the shit out, then you wouldn't need them at all. If no scalpers bought PS5 systems, mostly everyone who wanted one would have it right now. Except now, a lot of people don't have one because of a bunch of assholes who bought them all to resell. That makes no sense. They're just holding shit hostage whenever an item becomes in demand. I hope more retailers understand the importance of trying to thwart this. It should a be a law that commercial products cannot be sold above MSRP on commercial websites for a certain period of time.

Don't waste time arguing with scalpers. You'll just get worn out, while they'll continue to be perplexed as to why you take exception to their behaviour.
    Scalpers will always rationalise their actions with bullshit like: "I'm helping people", or my favourite "But I need to pay for retirement somehow" (fucking hell have I had raging arguments with the "but retirement" pricks). Scalpers will never 'get it', you can't expect any of them to realise that their actions are detrimental to every community they leach off of. I'm sure all the scalpers will be the first ones to complain if its their own parents who can't get help in a crisis though.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

The origins of the word “scalping” had to do with native Americans cutting off the scalp of a dead soldier in return for money. Yeah, they don’t see it as anything evil.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    The origins of the word “scalping” had to do with native Americans cutting off the scalp of a dead soldier in return for money. Yeah, they don’t see it as anything evil.
    By the time they were selling scalps for money, they have already been through a near genocide and forced into reservations where they were slowly dying out due to not having any jobs or enough land to live by - and the one or two times they managed to find a business opportunity (such as when they found oil that was legally on their land), they were forced off of that too, either with bullshit laws or straight up lynching. Notions of good and evil go out the window when you're choices are between barely surviving or getting fucked sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    By the time they were selling scalps for money, they have already been through a near genocide and forced into reservations where they were slowly dying out due to not having any jobs or enough land to live by - and the one or two times they managed to find a business opportunity (such as when they found oil that was legally on their land), they were forced off of that too, either with bullshit laws or straight up lynching. Notions of good and evil go out the window when you're choices are between barely surviving or getting fucked sideways.
    That started back during the American Revolutionary War, where it was believed that a British Lieutenant was offering a reward for the scalps of Colonials.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalping

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In the American Revolutionary War, Henry Hamilton, the British Lieutenant Governor and Superintendent of Indian Affairs at Fort Detroit, was known by American Patriots as the "hair-buyer general" because they believed he encouraged and paid his Native American allies to scalp American settlers. When Hamilton was captured in the war by the colonists, he was treated as a war criminal instead of a prisoner of war because of this. However, American historians have conceded that there was no positive proof that he had ever offered rewards for scalps.[34] It is now assumed that during the American Revolution, no British officer paid for scalps.[35] During the Sullivan Expedition, the September 13, 1779 journal entry of Lieutenant William Barton tells of patriots participating in scalping.
    https://allthingsliberty.com/2016/09...llingness%20to

My point was that these people are thinking that they are wearing some badge of honor, for what they are doing, when in fact, being called a scalper is considered the lowest of low that a person can go to make a buck. There is no honor in defending that.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Outrunner

It's also greedy fucking douchebags like him who will be racing to the disaster site with as much bottled water as they can carry, while FEMA and the humanitarian groups take their time.
    FTFY and yes they will, nothing like taking advantage of people's suffering in a disaster in order to make a quick buck.

Have you ever sold anything for more than what you paid for it?
    I buy things for in order to own them, not to sell in order to rip off someone else.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    FTFY and yes they will, nothing like taking advantage of people's suffering in a disaster in order to make a quick buck.
    You can twist my words if you want, the point is the same. If I'm in a disaster area and need anything, the person most likely to supply it will be someone motivated by greed, because they have the most to gain from our transaction.

Anyway this is way off topic. You roll your way, I'll roll mine.

Back on the topic. Yeah prices are still going nuts. I still think this is a bubble that, no matter how huge it gets will burst someday. I refuse to believe that anyone born after maybe 2005 or so, is really going to continue to give a crap about a bunch of physical media in the future. It has to just be use dinosaurs who have any affinity for a shelf representation of a game. And at some point we're all going to get older and realize we don't need this stuff either. A lot of people who I see serious into collecting right now are actually younger than myself, but not by a lot, and a lot of us veterans are dropping out of collecting.

I'm not quite there yet. I still want stuff, and yeah I'll pay stupid prices for it. I don't collect like I used back when everything was cheap, but there's still some things I feel like I failed to ever acquire that I should have had all along and never did. Those select few things, I'm throwing some good money at right now. Like, I wish when I started collecting I'd spent less time and money on run of the mill PS2 games that I'm not like super nostalgic about by any means, and more effort focused on getting the SEGA stuff I always wanted then. Because now it's a financial raping to get some of it, while the PS2 fare and the like is still relatively accessible even now. I guess I never foresaw the well of retro stuff would dry up as quickly as it did.

There are still some actual console I'd like to get, like the 3DO, Amiga CD32, and TurboGrafx-16. However, I won't ever collect games for those. I'm just not going to spend the money delving into more outrageously priced game libraries. But when it comes to classic Nintendo and SEGA consoles, I can't bring myself to jump ship and buy a flash cart. It would just nullify all these years of game hunting and buying, and make pointless all this stuff I have.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post
    Back on the topic. Yeah prices are still going nuts. I still think this is a bubble that, no matter how huge it gets will burst someday. I refuse to believe that anyone born after maybe 2005 or so, is really going to continue to give a crap about a bunch of physical media in the future. It has to just be use dinosaurs who have any affinity for a shelf representation of a game. And at some point we're all going to get older and realize we don't need this stuff either. A lot of people who I see serious into collecting right now are actually younger than myself, but not by a lot, and a lot of us veterans are dropping out of collecting.

I'm not quite there yet. I still want stuff, and yeah I'll pay stupid prices for it. I don't collect like I used back when everything was cheap, but there's still some things I feel like I failed to ever acquire that I should have had all along and never did. Those select few things, I'm throwing some good money at right now. Like, I wish when I started collecting I'd spent less time and money on run of the mill PS2 games that I'm not like super nostalgic about by any means, and more effort focused on getting the SEGA stuff I always wanted then. Because now it's a financial raping to get some of it, while the PS2 fare and the like is still relatively accessible even now. I guess I never foresaw the well of retro stuff would dry up as quickly as it did.

There are still some actual console I'd like to get, like the 3DO, Amiga CD32, and TurboGrafx-16. However, I won't ever collect games for those. I'm just not going to spend the money delving into more outrageously priced game libraries. But when it comes to classic Nintendo and SEGA consoles, I can't bring myself to jump ship and buy a flash cart. It would just nullify all these years of game hunting and buying, and make pointless all this stuff I have.
    You describe my position and view with regards collecting perfectly. I will continue to collect for my Sega consoles, and pick up titles for my SNES from time to time, but I only do so very sparingly now.

I'm surprised none of you guys have talked about the recent news with Sony and the cmos bomb situation which they're getting a lot of blowback on.
    05/05/15

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

I mentioned it. Just not in this thread.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

I’ve been saying for years now. Once these consoles went online, the ownership of physical copies became questionable. My copy of Resistance 3 wouldn’t install on my Fat PS3, and I’ve yet to try it on the slim. There’s also talk about Sony having removed patches for many PS3 games and recently putting some back after the backlash from gamers. I really need to get about putting any of my PS3 games that haven’t been installed onto my PS3 consoles, before Sony really shuts down support for it. I haven’t even begun to think about what it means for the PS4, with that battery issue.

Thread Information