Quantcast

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Something fishy is going on with Retro Game Sales...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar

Sure this is a bubble, and sure someone is speculating on this. And probably this will not end tomorrow.
    I'm not sure this is only a piloted bubble, probably there is really a lot of request for this things.
    Sure there are people out there who are buying this stuff as an investment. They don't care about what they are buying, they don't care about the history of the item, or whatever.
    The prices of an object is not directly related to the real value of the object itself. Bubbles like this can be made with everything, the only need is of a bunch of people that start to buy and sell the stuff every time at higher prices.
    Is the same with toys, comics, cars, antiques.
    What i really don't understand is why this is happening with electronics. I mean, an electronics devices are the most unreliable thing on the world. How is possible that people is relying on them for a long term investment?
    Paper can last very long in time, and it can be restored. Same with cars, they they can be repaired over time. But electronics?
    Maybe is just me. I don't understand this kind of things at all.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher StuOhQ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    You're missing the obvious here: The Sonic the Hedgehog movie came out Feb 14, which precisely coincides with the rise in price. It's standard increase in demand.

Those two cases you posted are just exceptions and not really affecting the average.

You can see the increase for Sonic games with other titles.

3D Blast:

https://gamevaluenow.com/sega-genesi...ast?gameid=586

Sonic 3:

https://gamevaluenow.com/sega-genesi...g-3?gameid=590

etc etc

They all went up.
    Yeah, but no new Mario movie came out in February - https://gamevaluenow.com/nintendo-64...-64?gameid=243

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: Make Your Switch Games Sharper! Improve Picture Quality without Hacks or Mods – Bit Sized, Episode 4

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

If you have an account on Pricecharting, check the overall value of your items. Tron Bonne more than doubled in value.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StuOhQ View Post
    Yeah, but no new Mario movie came out in February - https://gamevaluenow.com/nintendo-64...-64?gameid=243
    And... no Mario game shot up in February, either. That link you posted shows it spike in March-April, along with a shit ton of other games due to everybody being stuck at home then.

All of the Sonic games spiked in February.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

MK64 loose is $50? wtf

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher StuOhQ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    Remember the tale of the fool and his money
    For this would be sad, were it not so funny
    Resellers are price gougers, and villains at heart
    So forget all this nonsense and get a flash cart
    Love it

There is definitely some funny business going on with the prices, beyond demand being up. I am sitting out a few months and just buying the new titles I feel like a need to play. Part of the desperation on buyer's part might be that they are less comfortable digging through yard sales and thrift stores right now.

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: Make Your Switch Games Sharper! Improve Picture Quality without Hacks or Mods – Bit Sized, Episode 4

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    The problem with the idea of intentionally crashing the market is that it'd be an one-off. OK yeah, you create lots of supply and then prices crash… then what? The supply will start going down again afterwards as cartridges get bought up or stop working. And the rise in prices isn't just a supply and demand thing, so that factor will still remain. So all you did was temporarily halt the price increase. Worse yet, the goal was to push prices down so people can afford games… except that's precisely what makes prices go up again.
    I don't understand your logic. In order to ask a high price, there has to be buyers who will pay a high price. I don't believe the young kids want it. I believe it's a certain demographic of millennials and late gen-xers who salivate over all this stuff. Yeah, there are some late stragglers to the market, and those who haven't been collecting 10 - 20 years, but they're the minority. So who's gonna buy them all back up? Speculators? Good luck to them. The future is not gonna care. Classic video games are niche, and all of the best ones can now be played without old hardware or software. When resellers cease to make a healthy profit off of old carts, the prices will drop. Whether there's tons of supply, or limited supply, and that day is coming. Most of us are just buying the OEM wares because we're drunk on nostalgia and like having "stuff" life denied us long ago, even though we know it's wasteful, but that all ends with a certain demographic of people.

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    So you never liked something that was made before you were born?!? I know plenty of people that collect things that were made before they were born (coins, stamps, radio, cars, etc). Also, there's still people getting into and collecting for systems, now, that never played BITD, even though they were the right age or whatever.
    I might like it, but I don't gotta have it. My interest in Led Zepplin doesn't mean I care at all to own the first pressings or whatever on vinyl. I just buy the fifty-millionth reissue on CD and I'm more than good. Those younger than me are probably content to just download it off of iTunes. Very little desire to get into collecting old things before my time. If I were quite a bit older, I'd probably feel like I NEED to have the vinyl but I have no sentimentality regarding vinyl, and it costs way more than I'd ever be willing to give for it. I've collected a few "old" things, but never anywhere near as seriously as I do things that are of my era.

I surely can't think of anyone my age or younger who seriously collects coins, stamps, radios, cars, etc. That demographic is much, much older and they probably had some level of exposure to that stuff when they were young... That's why they care about it. How many of those guys give a crap about SEGA Genesis cartridges? They'd probably laugh at you. Ask a 14-year-old what he thinks about a bunch of cartridges, he's probably thinking "I can't believe you had to put these things in just to play the game... I'd rather play Fortnite... My idea of a classic game is Minecraft!" Why would he collect this stuff?

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by majinga View Post
    Sure this is a bubble, and sure someone is speculating on this. And probably this will not end tomorrow.
    I'm not sure this is only a piloted bubble, probably there is really a lot of request for this things.
    Sure there are people out there who are buying this stuff as an investment. They don't care about what they are buying, they don't care about the history of the item, or whatever.
    The prices of an object is not directly related to the real value of the object itself. Bubbles like this can be made with everything, the only need is of a bunch of people that start to buy and sell the stuff every time at higher prices.
    Is the same with toys, comics, cars, antiques.
    What i really don't understand is why this is happening with electronics. I mean, an electronics devices are the most unreliable thing on the world. How is possible that people is relying on them for a long term investment?
    Paper can last very long in time, and it can be restored. Same with cars, they they can be repaired over time. But electronics?
    Maybe is just me. I don't understand this kind of things at all.
    This is what I've been saying. Consumer electronics are way more fragile than most collectibles. No console or game format was designed to last for decades, we are lucky that so many 30+ year old games are still playable on original hardware. Compare this to most other antiques, with minimal care your comic books will outlive you.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post
    I don't understand your logic. In order to ask a high price, there has to be buyers who will pay a high price. I don't believe the young kids want it. I believe it's a certain demographic of millennials and late gen-xers who salivate over all this stuff. Yeah, there are some late stragglers to the market, and those who haven't been collecting 10 - 20 years, but they're the minority. So who's gonna buy them all back up? Speculators? Good luck to them. The future is not gonna care. Classic video games are niche, and all of the best ones can now be played without old hardware or software. When resellers cease to make a healthy profit off of old carts, the prices will drop. Whether there's tons of supply, or limited supply, and that day is coming. Most of us are just buying the OEM wares because we're drunk on nostalgia and like having "stuff" life denied us long ago, even though we know it's wasteful, but that all ends with a certain demographic of people.

I might like it, but I don't gotta have it. My interest in Led Zepplin doesn't mean I care at all to own the first pressings or whatever on vinyl. I just buy the fifty-millionth reissue on CD and I'm more than good. Those younger than me are probably content to just download it off of iTunes. Very little desire to get into collecting old things before my time. If I were quite a bit older, I'd probably feel like I NEED to have the vinyl but I have no sentimentality regarding vinyl, and it costs way more than I'd ever be willing to give for it. I've collected a few "old" things, but never anywhere near as seriously as I do things that are of my era.

I surely can't think of anyone my age or younger who seriously collects coins, stamps, radios, cars, etc. That demographic is much, much older and they probably had some level of exposure to that stuff when they were young... That's why they care about it. How many of those guys give a crap about SEGA Genesis cartridges? They'd probably laugh at you. Ask a 14-year-old what he thinks about a bunch of cartridges, he's probably thinking "I can't believe you had to put these things in just to play the game... I'd rather play Fortnite... My idea of a classic game is Minecraft!" Why would he collect this stuff?
    You're right most wouldn't. The hardware I see worth collecting is stuff that can't be captured by emulation, like an original Galaxy Force arcade cabinet that moves in all directions, that's always going to be cool no matter how old it gets. Even something like Pinball, it's more fun to play on the real thing than a screen. But most modern consoles could be reproduced through emulation, in fact they will probably look better since you'll be able to select higher resolutions.

I wonder if some of Nintendo's wacky consoles (like the 3DS) might have an advantage here because if you want the 3D effect you really need the original hardware and not Citra. But since it didn't catch on the first time around I can't see demand going up much in the future.

I saw a kid dealing with cartridges and his first instinct was to break them open thinking they're like the boxes that hold discs for modern consoles. So uh, yeah.

Though ironically Switch has brought cartridges back in vogue (in some sense). Though I imagine that in a handful of years all removable media will disappear from consoles altogether. I can't help but think that the only reason PS5 and XSX still support discs is to avoid a backlash right from day one, and that they don't really intend you to keep using discs (and I imagine that the first revision of each will end up actually removing the drive).

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    I saw a kid dealing with cartridges and his first instinct was to break them open thinking they're like the boxes that hold discs for modern consoles. So uh, yeah.

Though ironically Switch has brought cartridges back in vogue (in some sense). Though I imagine that in a handful of years all removable media will disappear from consoles altogether. I can't help but think that the only reason PS5 and XSX still support discs is to avoid a backlash right from day one, and that they don't really intend you to keep using discs (and I imagine that the first revision of each will end up actually removing the drive).
    and your point is?

I saw an old man once who didn't understand how to sit on a chair anymore = old people can't use chairs?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar

...In order to ask a high price, there has to be buyers who will pay a high price. I don't believe the young kids want it. I believe it's a certain demographic of millennials and late gen-xers who salivate over all this stuff...
    That's true, there are a lot of people at their first work, with money to spend and no other expenses, no kids, no rents.
    About younger people, who knows, is just too soon.
    Generally they don't know anything of what they are buying. They don't know about the community, the forums, the projects hardware and software. Maybe they just watched some stupid YT videos about someone unboxing retro stuff.
    There are, of course, also older people who are buying this stuff like if they are buying gold.
    A lot of people believe in the myth that by keeping the stuff off, it doesn't break..

I picked the wrong time to start trying to rebuild my collection.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

I watch a YT channel of this guy who lives in Japan and does videos where he goes games shopping. Usually to a series of retail stores called Hard Off. Everything is mega cheap. A few bucks for most retro games in great condition. Power Stone 2 sealed is $5. So why the fuck is it $350 on eBay? Everything there is a fraction of the price on ebay.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Region locking, shutting down of sites that sell mod chips, the fact that you have to live in a crime-ridden population center to learn Japanese before the language centers of your brain harden into concrete.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Well, kanji doesn't help with trying to learn Japanese (I learned hiragana and katakana in no time, but kanji is making it impossible to me to learn words due to not being able to guess how they're pronounced which in turn makes it a pain to look them up in the dictionary as well… I had better luck learning words from Star Chaser which doesn't use kanji at all).

Anyway, a couple of days ago I saw somebody in Japan score five Mega Drive games for $1 so uuuh yeah (・・) (I think they were loose, but still) I guess the price hell is mostly an on-line phenomenon.

Thread Information