Quantcast

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Something fishy is going on with Retro Game Sales...

Incidentally I just come from reading an old thread about this elsewhere.

Something to be said about using Everdrives or whatever nowadays, but what about the consoles themselves? Because I imagine that those are going up in price as well and eventually will be out of reach. Time to make good clones more widespreadů (I know, emulation renders it all pointless if you just want to play games, but honestly it still feels wrong at times with all the inconsistencies like the occasional frame skip because the timing is slightly off and such, and games can still feel wrong if you don't have the appropriate controller).

Master of Shinobi

Console prices that I've looked at seem pretty stable, especially for consoles with no games included. There are exceptions though, like the 32x and the 3DO. My suspicion is that the 32x may be being driven up by people seeking full collections. Stupid price of some of the games aside, a full 32x collection is one of the more attainable ones out there due to the relatively small number of released titles. The 3DO price might tie into something else I'm concerned about, or there might be no connection, I'm not sure.

One thing that can be said about cart based consoles is that they're robust, and supply doesn't seem to be a particular problem. The supply of optical drive based consoles drying up is more of a worry though. The 3DO might be an example of why. Replacement lasers are available but are not as common as those for a lot of other consoles, and the 3DO drive mechanism has an eventually fatal flaw where a gear in the laser sled mechanism cracks over time. It's possible to 3D print replacement gears, and I've just received one to try out in one of my 3DOs, but it does generally mean that the number of working 3DOs is falling at a higher rate than might be expected. Is the price rise of the 3DO console due to this? I'm really not sure, but given the parts supply will eventually dry up, it's likely to eventually become a problem with other consoles too.

The original XBox is my guess for one that will shoot up in price eventually. Optical drive, HDD, and the HDD is a bit of a pain in the butt to replace as the new drive either has to be locked to the console or the console has to be modded.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

If Polymega ever does come out and live up to it's promise. Some of those worries can be eased a bit.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    I'll never accept blame for the actions of resellers and trustfundistas with bottomless bank accounts destroying the hobby.
    instead we are all to blame.

The fact is that you all started to notice these things only now that games are reaching ludicrous prices, out of the league for majority of people, but this process started many years ago, when the first retro games that was previously sold at $30 started to surpass $100.

Resellers and "trustfundistas" only came later because they smelt business... we created the perfect enviroment for them.
    Last edited by Virtua Hunter; Today at 08:52 AM.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

I noticed this horseshit in early 2008, after the iPhone started spreading like a pandemic, and everybody too stupid to use ebay on a desktop computer could price check everything with a couple thumb presses. "Oh, video games are retro-cool now? Well I have to be cooler than my hipster friends, and they only cost like one percent of my weekly allowance, so I'll buy them all!" When people with no concept of the value of a dollar started paying idiot sellers' crakhead prices, everyone started raising theirs to take advantage of the new windfall from those with more dollars than sense. Soon after, you couldn't even find old games and computers in most Goodwill stores, because they started shipping all of those kinds of donations to their warehouse, to sell on their site, charging auction winners the cost of the shipping from the drop-off centers, to the warehouse, on top of the regular shipping costs from the warehouse to the winners.

So don't put that fucking evil on me. I never sold tech for a profit, nor paid stupid money for any of it.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Has anyone seen VHS tapes? Holy shit, something I could buy for 20p a few years back from the local Salvation's Army is now going for 60 GBP +. It's happening with other stuff as well. Weird times.

Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    Console prices that I've looked at seem pretty stable, especially for consoles with no games included. There are exceptions though, like the 32x and the 3DO. My suspicion is that the 32x may be being driven up by people seeking full collections. Stupid price of some of the games aside, a full 32x collection is one of the more attainable ones out there due to the relatively small number of released titles. The 3DO price might tie into something else I'm concerned about, or there might be no connection, I'm not sure.

One thing that can be said about cart based consoles is that they're robust, and supply doesn't seem to be a particular problem. The supply of optical drive based consoles drying up is more of a worry though. The 3DO might be an example of why. Replacement lasers are available but are not as common as those for a lot of other consoles, and the 3DO drive mechanism has an eventually fatal flaw where a gear in the laser sled mechanism cracks over time. It's possible to 3D print replacement gears, and I've just received one to try out in one of my 3DOs, but it does generally mean that the number of working 3DOs is falling at a higher rate than might be expected. Is the price rise of the 3DO console due to this? I'm really not sure, but given the parts supply will eventually dry up, it's likely to eventually become a problem with other consoles too.

The original XBox is my guess for one that will shoot up in price eventually. Optical drive, HDD, and the HDD is a bit of a pain in the butt to replace as the new drive either has to be locked to the console or the console has to be modded.
    There aren't many 3DO systems, and finding one in the wild is a crapshoot. It's one system I wish emulation was good with, but no one gives a shit about anything pre PlayStation and Saturn for CD systems. Xbox has clock capacitor issues.
    Some people like companies losing jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    Has anyone seen VHS tapes? Holy shit, something I could buy for 20p a few years back from the local Salvation's Army is now going for 60 GBP +. It's happening with other stuff as well. Weird times.
    I've mentioned it many times on this forum that everything people could possibly collect is starting to see insane rises in value. If I had kept my old diecast car collection then I could probably have sold it today and made enough money to retire (my reason for selling in the first place was because of insurance trouble, so they weren't cheap even then). My sister collects old toys and some of her favourites are now unobtainable to normal people. Everyone I know with a collection of some kind has told me recently that its now so expensive that they hardly bother anymore.

People need to wake up to the fact that everything collectible costs insane sums of money now. Its no use blaming other people and its no use expecting values to decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    I've mentioned it many times on this forum that everything people could possibly collect is starting to see insane rises in value. If I had kept my old diecast car collection then I could probably have sold it today and made enough money to retire (my reason for selling in the first place was because of insurance trouble, so they weren't cheap even then). My sister collects old toys and some of her favourites are now unobtainable to normal people. Everyone I know with a collection of some kind has told me recently that its now so expensive that they hardly bother anymore.

People need to wake up to the fact that everything collectible costs insane sums of money now. Its no use blaming other people and its no use expecting values to decline.
    I don't know about you guys, but at yard sales, people are practically giving VHS tapes away. Only problem is it's almost always the same tapes you see everywhere. Haven't been to a thrift store in a long time and probably the same logic applies.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Disney Black Diamond VHS tapes pull in some pretty high $$$.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...dkw=disney+vhs
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Disney Black Diamond VHS tapes pull in some pretty high $$$.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...dkw=disney+vhs
    This the reason the odd collectard sometimes actually pays 20 times current value and helps fuel the misinformation.

Classic gaming forums are full of people complaining about game prices while citing asking prices. If you click the SOLD box you can see that "high $$$" means $6.99

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...&LH_Complete=1

Snopes had to actually do an article on because of how quickly these urban legends spread.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

I know two guys who are Lightning Fast at VCR repair that must be happy they are getting business again! Tho I don't think Mr. Plinkett will see his Night Court tape anytime soon.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Collecting VHS tapes I don't get. The things literally degrade every time you watch them.

I wish more people would just look at the prices that completed listings sold for on ebay. I've heard so many stories from people saying things like: "So I just checked the value of my vinyl and I can sell my Alice Cooper records for $3000". And its all because they've seen some chancer with an insane asking price on ebay.

Thread Information