Quantcast

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Something fishy is going on with Retro Game Sales...

Robocop 3 :​D

Seriously, the game is blatantly rushed, and the health system questionable (it has the same bullshit system that Turrican uses where it depletes for every frame you're in contact), but I wouldn't call it bad? Maybe mediocre at worst. I had the cartridge as a kid, so as you can imagine I had quite a large bunch of time to play it. Fuck the ED-101 section tho, that one is a pain in the ass with those missiles.

Also, Mega Drive version is definitely better than SNES here. WTF happened to the options menu on SNES? o_O And why is everything so bright? (OK, probably somebody wanting to show off the colors… but this is one case where going gritty is better and the MD version pulls that off perfectly)

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    One of the more surprising aspects of this trend is that games that were formerly considered mediocre are now considered by many to be good or overlooked games - I wonder if people have a tendency to look more favorably on the games they can afford. If all the old "hall of fame" games that were on every Top 10 list are now priced too highly for you to buy, the games you can actually buy start to look a lot better.
    Hidden Gems everywhere!
    05/05/15

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post

Some of these games are so profitable, its a wonder the actual rights holders don't start manufacturing more just to satisfy the crazy demand.

I think inflation plays some kind of role as well, along with our generation slowly gaining expendable income over the last five years that allows people to relive their childhood or whatever, or even play new things since video games are just so popular.
    A lot of people got a bunch of Nintendo Gems with the SNES Classic. Still, games like Earthbound and Final Fantasy III are high priced.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    A lot of people got a bunch of Nintendo Gems with the SNES Classic. Still, games like Earthbound and Final Fantasy III are high priced.
    Good point. I remember people saying, including the owner of a retro games shop that I frequent, that after the release of the SNES Classic and the Mega Drive Mini that the real-time prices of the original games that are included in those collections would start to drop quickly. A quick glance on Ebay for the rarer games included in those two respective collections will show you that that just simply isn't true. If anything the high end original SNES and Mega Drive titles have gone up in price, not down! I'm telling you guys, the bubble is not gonna burst.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker eukara's Avatar

I currently pay more for shipping than for some of the games I want because for some reason a lot of Amiga/PC ports are stuck in the UK

You know, how about you all stop calling it a bubble if you're acknowledging it's not gonna burst? Kind of the whole point of the word "bubble" is that it'll inevitably deflate (and very quickly). That's not what's going on, if anything I'd expect the increase rate to start accelerating. Cling onto your consoles because probably in a handful of years they'll be out of reach for most people as well.

Also I know that people like to mention flashcarts, but er… hasn't the price of those been going up as well? Older models are not sold anymore, newer models always seem to be more expensive. Admittedly it doesn't help that they keep cramming yet more features each time, but point is thing is going to get hard if even the modern peripherals meant to solve this issue end up being caught in it as well.

Yuck

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    I cannot stand John Hancock. MJR I can kinda tolerate but that fucker next to him in a huge tool.
    05/05/15

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    You know, how about you all stop calling it a bubble if you're acknowledging it's not gonna burst? Kind of the whole point of the word "bubble" is that it'll inevitably deflate (and very quickly). That's not what's going on, if anything I'd expect the increase rate to start accelerating. Cling onto your consoles because probably in a handful of years they'll be out of reach for most people as well.

Also I know that people like to mention flashcarts, but er… hasn't the price of those been going up as well? Older models are not sold anymore, newer models always seem to be more expensive. Admittedly it doesn't help that they keep cramming yet more features each time, but point is thing is going to get hard if even the modern peripherals meant to solve this issue end up being caught in it as well.
    I don't think it's a bubble. I just don't think there's any guarantee that Panzer Dragoon Saga or Neo Geo AES will still be selling for almost a grand in ten years - it may be worth more, or much less. Very difficult to predict mass movements (like the popularization of retro gaming) will play out over long periods of time.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Maybe not a quickly-deflating bubble, but a slowly-deflating one. We're at the peak of the '30-year cycle' now - that's the idea that nostalgia is strongest 30 years later. More and more people that were kids in the 90s now have disposable income and time to buy back their childhoods (or attempt to).

In the next 30 years, the same thing is going to happen that happened to baseball cards (and many other collectibles): people are going to lose interest, fewer young people will join the hobby, and all but the rarest / most valuable pieces will begin to lose value. The games that sold hundreds of thousands of copies on release will inevitably go down in value (unless they are particularly noteworthy).

The exceptions are for things that have strong staying power. In the vintage toy market, for example, Disney collectibles hold their value because these Disney properties still receive a lot of attention and are recognizable to children. The same might happen for certain Nintendo games. But something like Gunstar Heroes? It's not going to hold its value into the future.

So yeah, the bubble isn't going to burst overnight. It's a much slower process.

As Sik rightly pointed out, this isn't a bubble. There may be fluctuations in the market over the years, but we're just not going to see a price crash like we did with Beanie Babies. So we need to stop referring to it as a 'bubble that won't burst'. If you look at the long term changes in any collector market you'll see values go up and down, but if you start seeing the value of SOR3 decline over one year then don't go mistaking that for a bubble bursting, its just a market fluctuation.

I think people need to look at the big picture here too. You can't go around collecting games and then complain about rising values, because by collecting games in the first place you're part of the problem. If you didn't collect games then there's a good chance that no one else would either and then the games wouldn't be so valuable. Are the values just supposed to stay low for long enough for you to finish off your collection?

My wife and I have been spring cleaning and getting rid of loads of stuff. Because of space and time constraints, I don't have any of my retro systems set up. So I'm looking at my MUSHA, my PDS, all these games... And I'm wondering, why don't I just sell them? I don't use them, they're clearly have a lot of value to other people.

And yet I haven't sold them. I can't really say why. I don't know if it's because I think I'll want them back once I sell them, or I think that in the future (when our children aren't so so young) I'll have more time, or what.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    As Sik rightly pointed out, this isn't a bubble. There may be fluctuations in the market over the years, but we're just not going to see a price crash like we did with Beanie Babies. So we need to stop referring to it as a 'bubble that won't burst'. If you look at the long term changes in any collector market you'll see values go up and down, but if you start seeing the value of SOR3 decline over one year then don't go mistaking that for a bubble bursting, its just a market fluctuation.

I think people need to look at the big picture here too. You can't go around collecting games and then complain about rising values, because by collecting games in the first place you're part of the problem. If you didn't collect games then there's a good chance that no one else would either and then the games wouldn't be so valuable. Are the values just supposed to stay low for long enough for you to finish off your collection?
    Agreed on both points. It's not a bubble in the sense of Beanie Babies. And a lot of people disparage the label "collector" despite obviously collecting retro games themselves... In the end, the effect on game prices is the same regardless of why you collect.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

I have no problem with being called a collector. It's not a dirty word. I accept that the market is supply and demand. I'm not happy, for example, that Snatcher for the Mega CD will probably be selling for about £1000 in a couple of years, but the market is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    My wife and I have been spring cleaning and getting rid of loads of stuff. Because of space and time constraints, I don't have any of my retro systems set up. So I'm looking at my MUSHA, my PDS, all these games... And I'm wondering, why don't I just sell them? I don't use them, they're clearly have a lot of value to other people.

And yet I haven't sold them. I can't really say why. I don't know if it's because I think I'll want them back once I sell them, or I think that in the future (when our children aren't so so young) I'll have more time, or what.
    You sure your kids wouldn't want to play them? Don't forget that to a kid everything is new :​P

Thread Information