Quantcast

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Something fishy is going on with Retro Game Sales...

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Agreed on both points. It's not a bubble in the sense of Beanie Babies. And a lot of people disparage the label "collector" despite obviously collecting retro games themselves... In the end, the effect on game prices is the same regardless of why you collect.
    Everything loses value after awhile. Iím Generation X. My childhood games were on the Atari 2600 and 8-bit computers. Most of the 8-bit computer stuff can be had for a reasonable price, because a lot of the people that own that stuff are in their 50s and early 60s. The people in that demographic arenít spending as much, because they are thinking about their retirement, paying off debt and sending their kids off to college.

They are also spending their money on vintage muscle cars. 15 years ago, I could get a 70ís Camaro or Chevelle, for less than $10k. Now they are selling for the price of a new car.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    I cannot stand John Hancock. MJR I can kinda tolerate but that fucker next to him in a huge tool.
    Yup. JH is a con artist.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    My wife and I have been spring cleaning and getting rid of loads of stuff. Because of space and time constraints, I don't have any of my retro systems set up. So I'm looking at my MUSHA, my PDS, all these games... And I'm wondering, why don't I just sell them? I don't use them, they're clearly have a lot of value to other people.

And yet I haven't sold them. I can't really say why. I don't know if it's because I think I'll want them back once I sell them, or I think that in the future (when our children aren't so so young) I'll have more time, or what.
    That's been me for a few years now. Every couple years I go through and slim it down even further. Went from 1200 -> 350. Granted the high priced items were some of the last to go (and a bunch still need to go, but can't sell now due to inclement pandemic), but why hold on to something that isn't being utilized?

The kids are likely going to be more impressed with whatever technology is out now, and would be just as happy with the minis once they get into. I've accepted that unfortunate fact. Doesn't mean I won't try to get them to experience some of the cooler aspects I was experiencing back then, but all that I have left is for me first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    I cannot stand John Hancock. MJR I can kinda tolerate but that fucker next to him in a huge tool.
    What's wrong with him?

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

John is a con artist begging for money for his museum that will never happen. He cons people in giving him the money he doesn't need. He begs people to send him games for this museum then he claims they are fake and keeps them for himself.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker eukara's Avatar

I'd love to visit a museum full of boxes of games/consoles you can't play. /s
    If you want to preserve games, donate money into emulator-developers and let people like the Internet Archive handle giving everyone the ability to see the games for themselves.

Thereís already a museum in Frisco Texas, and it has a retro arcade.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=192mPGgy7VY
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Technically that's what every collection is.

Thereís some pretty rare shit there. Nothing that John Hancock could even dream of having.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    John is a con artist begging for money for his museum that will never happen. He cons people in giving him the money he doesn't need. He begs people to send him games for this museum then he claims they are fake and keeps them for himself.
    There was another retro museum scam artist not so long ago, wasn't there? Guy took game donations and claimed to be building a museum, then just went "yeah, I'm not doing that any more, and I'm selling the games donated to me". I can't find anything about it now.

Unless there's an actual verifiable organisation set up, with premises that the public can visit, I don't trust anyone who solicits game donations with claims of creating a museum. Amassing a personal collection under false pretences, more like.

I don't care for the guy, either, but anytime someone says this, there's never any proof of this "con artist" belief.
    Some people like companies losing jobs.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Everything loses value after awhile. Iím Generation X. My childhood games were on the Atari 2600 and 8-bit computers. Most of the 8-bit computer stuff can be had for a reasonable price, because a lot of the people that own that stuff are in their 50s and early 60s. The people in that demographic arenít spending as much, because they are thinking about their retirement, paying off debt and sending their kids off to college.

They are also spending their money on vintage muscle cars. 15 years ago, I could get a 70ís Camaro or Chevelle, for less than $10k. Now they are selling for the price of a new car.
    This is exactly what's going to happen. Nostalgia comes in waves. It doesn't last forever, particularly for items that take money and effort to maintain. My grandfather had an impressive collection of electronics from the 1950s and 60s, like big reel to reel tape machines, he ended up getting rid of all of it because he didn't have room at his new place and no one in the family was interested. But now even those have become collectible so I guess we should have kept them lol

Is there the potential that there exists cook or buyer's clubs for video games? Private groups that determine what the average market value for a specific item is, buy up all stock of product below the determined value, and then relisting them at a higher value?

I ask because this is happening in the secondary market for baseball cards, as outlined here:
    https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1378133
    Sega Genesis Master Set Collector
    https://vgcollect.com/Tripredacus/gen

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
    Is there the potential that there exists cook or buyer's clubs for video games? Private groups that determine what the average market value for a specific item is, buy up all stock of product below the determined value, and then relisting them at a higher value?

I ask because this is happening in the secondary market for baseball cards, as outlined here:
    https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1378133
    That's what most people are suggesting in this thread, but there isn't clear evidence of it commonly happening.

This may have happened in Japan, though, where certain used video game retailers like Super Potato purchased huge stocks of retro games for cheap before the demand increased, and now they sell these at a very slow trickle at high prices. I've heard it said that Super Potato has a massive warehouse full of valuable retro games. No idea if it's true, though.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Isn't that the same as the classic game room guy, except he isn't claiming to have a museum?
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Isn't that the same as the classic game room guy, except he isn't claiming to have a museum?
    Mark of CGR quit doing game reviews a few years ago. Just comic books now. He kept downsizing his collection then just quit entirely.

Thread Information