Quantcast

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Something fishy is going on with Retro Game Sales...

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Case in point:

Sonic R for PC - $6. For Saturn $100
    Panzer Dragoon for PC - $30. For Saturn $100
    House of the Dead PC - $30. For Saturn $150.
    Virtual On for PC - $25. For Saturn - $100.
    And this is why I say something fishy is going on with prices. House of the Dead was going for $125-$150 a few years ago. It hasn't really changed. Yet Virtual On, Sonic R, and Panzer Dragoon go from being $25-$50 to over $100 almost over night? That's why I say this can't just be stimulus money. Otherwise we'd see House of the Dead jump up as well. Instead were seeing dirt common games skyrocketing for no good reason.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Earthbound was dirt-common, and it's always had an artificially high price.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Does anyone remember when we were told that flash carts would make our old games worthless?

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Iím thinking about getting a flash cart for my TG-16. The games are way too expensive.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    And this is why I say something fishy is going on with prices. House of the Dead was going for $125-$150 a few years ago. It hasn't really changed. Yet Virtual On, Sonic R, and Panzer Dragoon go from being $25-$50 to over $100 almost over night? That's why I say this can't just be stimulus money. Otherwise we'd see House of the Dead jump up as well. Instead were seeing dirt common games skyrocketing for no good reason.
    My mistake, that price is WAY wrong. Looks like you can't get a copy under $350 now CIB.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/House-of-th...0AAOSw~2Zes5~H

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-HOUSE-O...gAAOSwFp5ec7w2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/House-of-th...YAAOSwuQdeuJjl

My point still stands though, people need to stop wasting their hard-earned cash on these games that can be gotten other ways for way, way cheaper. The PC ports are just as good, and you can get a $20 Saturn pad from Retrobit, authentic and licensed from SEGA to play the games.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Get the Japanese version. It can be had for under $50.

But hey, I wouldnít sell mine for any amount of cash.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Get the Japanese version. It can be had for under $50.
    I have similar thoughts about a lot of games. Whenever someone laments the insane value of Symphony of the Night I always wonder why they don't just buy the PSN version with Rondo of Blood for $20 (hell, at one point I think SOTN on its own was $5). People aren't helping themselves by ignoring cheaper alternatives.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Case in point:

Sonic R for PC - $6.
    Panzer Dragoon for PC - $30.
    House of the Dead PC - $30.
    Virtual On for PC - $25.
    I'm not denying that PC games are far cheaper than their console counterparts, but the prices on PC games are increasing online too in recent years, artificially. Not as sharply as console games, but people on Ebay etc are trying to fudge the prices. I think the only thing keeping the prices a little realistic is the overabundance of budget releases and general lack of interest from most scalpers atm.
    Last edited by The Jackal; 05-17-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

The bubble is not going to burst. These prices are here to stay and will only climb. Whatever we think of the retro games market, it's a supply and demand game first and foremost and always has been. The fact is our beloved games from childhood are now entering the realm of being highly sought after collectibles, if not entering antique territory. I admit to being amused and intrigued by the ever rising value of my collection, but I'm certainly not interested in a financial way. I personally collect games to play and enjoy them, not to view them as ornaments or as saleable assets. My collection means a great deal to me, and represents a huge part of my life on a personal level.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Iím thinking about getting a flash cart for my TG-16. The games are way too expensive.
    This really is the most reasonable way to go these days.
    05/05/15

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    Does anyone remember when we were told that flash carts would make our old games worthless?
    Hell, I remember "HOME TAPING WILL KILL THE MUSIC INDUSTRY!" Yeah, those impoverished record executives sure are having a hard time getting by.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    Hell, I remember "HOME TAPING WILL KILL THE MUSIC INDUSTRY!" Yeah, those impoverished record executives sure are having a hard time getting by.
    VINYL IS KILLING THE MP3 INDUSTRY

Napster!

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    I'm not denying that PC games are far cheaper than their console counterparts, but the prices on PC games are increasing online too in recent years, artificially. Not as sharply as console games, but people on Ebay etc are trying to fudge the prices. I think the only thing keeping the prices a little realistic is the overabundance of budget releases and general lack of interest from most scalpers atm.
    To be fair, its hard to see if people are fudging the prices if they're actually being purchased. That's the tough thing right? I see copies of Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast for PC going online for roughly $50 since it didn't get a wide release. One guy has a copy on there right now for $225. If it sells, who is the real culprit of the prices going up...the buyer or the seller? Now I agree there probably is some manipulation of pricing going on with some of the higher end games. But ultimately the buck has to stop somewhere with these inflating prices on "assets" of classic games. I'll never pay $500 for House of the Dead or $1000 for Panzer Dragoon Saga, especially in the age of emulation and reproductions. So whoever is paying for this stuff to keep it is ultimately at fault here, not the seller.

Some of these games are so profitable, its a wonder the actual rights holders don't start manufacturing more just to satisfy the crazy demand.

I think inflation plays some kind of role as well, along with our generation slowly gaining expendable income over the last five years that allows people to relive their childhood or whatever, or even play new things since video games are just so popular.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

One of the more surprising aspects of this trend is that games that were formerly considered mediocre are now considered by many to be good or overlooked games - I wonder if people have a tendency to look more favorably on the games they can afford. If all the old "hall of fame" games that were on every Top 10 list are now priced too highly for you to buy, the games you can actually buy start to look a lot better.

Thread Information