Quantcast

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Something fishy is going on with Retro Game Sales...

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Well, kanji doesn't help with trying to learn Japanese (I learned hiragana and katakana in no time, but kanji is making it impossible to me to learn words due to not being able to guess how they're pronounced which in turn makes it a pain to look them up in the dictionary as wellÖ I had better luck learning words from Star Chaser which doesn't use kanji at all).

Anyway, a couple of days ago I saw somebody in Japan score five Mega Drive games for $1 so uuuh yeah (・・) (I think they were loose, but still) I guess the price hell is mostly an on-line phenomenon.
    Get JWPCE, and look up kanji using radicals and the number of strokes.
    You can't look them up in the dictionary through how they pronounced, because kanji can have multiple readings (and a lot of word jokes rely on that fact).

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

A simple swap disc takes care of region locking. Used the same Gameshark disc for 20 years. Yeah Hard Off has bins and bins of 100 yen games in the case in good conditions.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    You can't look them up in the dictionary through how they pronounced, because kanji can have multiple readings (and a lot of word jokes rely on that fact).
    Best way to look up kanji (in my opinion) if you're at a computer is to use the IME pad.

It's usually very good even if you get the stroke order a bit wrong. But yeah, if that fails, then it comes down to looking up radical/stroke number.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    I watch a YT channel of this guy who lives in Japan and does videos where he goes games shopping. Usually to a series of retail stores called Hard Off. Everything is mega cheap. A few bucks for most retro games in great condition. Power Stone 2 sealed is $5. So why the fuck is it $350 on eBay? Everything there is a fraction of the price on ebay.
    Iím at the point where Iím thinking about getting an Everdrive instead of worrying about getting Genesis carts. Iíve already got a Super UFO cart for my SNES and I actually played a port (DS?) of SNES New Super Mario Bros. on my console yesterday.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Re: looking up kanji, I'm perfectly well aware about looking up by strokes, heck I kinda memorized strokes the hard way when I was once working in a game for which I made a custom font and decided to throw in all the jouyou kanji (ÖI'm not sure what I was thinking on :​​D). The problem is that it's still way too damn slow for my tastes, especially when it's gonna take me a few tries before I remember how a specific word is pronounced.

I don't think this is gonna improve short of speaking Japanese regularly and copying how other people speak anyway. Wishing it was something like 200 common kanji instead of 2000 >_>

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

I worded my post in such an explicit manner for a reason. It is an order of magnitude more difficult to achieve proficiency in another language after the age of 12, as your abilities to properly internalize alternate forms of grammar and pronunciation are severely hampered. When the typical person has enough self-agency to be able to learn a new language on their own, it takes much more effort, connections, and resources. The older you get, the more difficult it becomes, unless you happen to be an extreme outlier when it comes to language learning in adulthood. Never lived in an area where you could learn anything but Spanish, French, or German, be it in free public school, or to pay an instructor for proper classes outside of public school. By the time I could go absolutely anywhere at the risk of ending up homeless when I got there, learning anything that wasn't intrinsically tied to something I was already intimately familiar with was like pouring water uphill.

Flash carts and Optical Drive Emulators (RHEA, PSIO, et al) are the way to go if you want to play the games on real hardware, but don't want to be put in the poorhouse in the process. Not that these options aren't costly. Tech is often a bad hobby to get into if you're not financially well off, or at least secure. While there's something to be said for using the actual cartridge or disc to play a game, I would assume much of the enjoyment in that action comes from nostalgia, or some subspecies of it. I have a Super Everdrive because it was less costly than the SD2SNES, and I own Star Fox and Stunt Race FX already. Alas, it can't play some of the more insane ROMhacks, or more technologically advanced games like Super Mario RPG, but there's always emulation to fall back on for those. In fact, emulation is what one should strive for. Spending money that you burned your youth to earn, on what could be a moment's dalliance, is literally wasting your life. Try it. If you enjoy it, then perhaps buy it. People on Plebbit got bent out of shape when I told them that trying to build a complete collection for any system was a waste of hard-earned money, as they would be buying garbage games instead of just the ones they enjoyed. A fool and his money, indeed.
    Then again, if your yearly income is ten times that of minimum wage, then throwing a few hundred bucks at something on a whim would be like your average dude buying one new console game.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    I worded my post in such an explicit manner for a reason. It is an order of magnitude more difficult to achieve proficiency in another language after the age of 12, as your abilities to properly internalize alternate forms of grammar and pronunciation are severely hampered. When the typical person has enough self-agency to be able to learn a new language on their own, it takes much more effort, connections, and resources. The older you get, the more difficult it becomes, unless you happen to be an extreme outlier when it comes to language learning in adulthood. Never lived in an area where you could learn anything but Spanish, French, or German, be it in free public school, or to pay an instructor for proper classes outside of public school. By the time I could go absolutely anywhere at the risk of ending up homeless when I got there, learning anything that wasn't intrinsically tied to something I was already intimately familiar with was like pouring water uphill.
    Learning a language well enough to be considered a native speaker is perhaps difficult. But learning one just enough so you can enjoy a video game, or have a good idea of what a written sentence means, that's not hard at all. The only single thing you have to do for it is to practice said language a lot. Every day. And that's what you can't do as an adult, as you have to spend more time on work and family, than as a kid when your entire day is spent on learning stuff in school (all schools teach a mandatory 2nd language over here, usually English or German, but there are also extra language schools).

Perhaps I'm an outlier like you said, but I managed to learn kana and a lot of kanji as well as some rudimentary French just by playing games, listening to music reading comics, and using dictionaries for stuff I don't understand - all of this being stuff I do in my free time, with no extra effort involved, I just picked it up over time. It's not enough to understand or reply to debates even as short as this one, but I can politely ask for two croissants at the bakery, or tell apart a karaoke bar and a love hotel without entering.

Re: looking up kanji, I'm perfectly well aware about looking up by strokes, heck I kinda memorized strokes the hard way when I was once working in a game for which I made a custom font and decided to throw in all the jouyou kanji (ÖI'm not sure what I was thinking on :​​D). The problem is that it's still way too damn slow for my tastes, especially when it's gonna take me a few tries before I remember how a specific word is pronounced.

I don't think this is gonna improve short of speaking Japanese regularly and copying how other people speak anyway. Wishing it was something like 200 common kanji instead of 2000 >_>
    Well, the Japanese themselves are learning it exclusively for nearly 20 years, so you can't expect to learn it overnight. Like I mentioned, you have to practice it non stop. Also games or manga with furigana in them can help a lot. Games like RPGs can help since there's a lot of repeated words for plot elements or overworld entries (towns, dungeons, etc), and those will have characters you'll see repeatedly, at a specific spot, allowing you to memorize it faster. But even shit like "what is the sign on Goku's back" (亀 or 界王) can allow you to learn stuff because you'll have something to associate the word with, and association is basically how humans learn everything.

Basically you just have to practice practice practice.
    Last edited by zyrobs; 05-26-2020 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Iím at the point where Iím thinking about getting an Everdrive instead of worrying about getting Genesis carts. Iíve already got a Super UFO cart for my SNES and I actually played a port (DS?) of SNES New Super Mario Bros. on my console yesterday.
    Do it. I bought the Everdrive 5 and a few things happened.
    1. Obviously I could now play the games on carts I didnít want to pay for
    2. Itís so convenient i donít play the carts I own.
    3. I sold off my high priced carts, made some room, bought a little crt and have stopped messing around with cables and hdtvs.

Some of this thread talks about electronic longevity.
    That worried me most now but only in console form.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post

I just don't see someone born in 2004, wanting to pay out $300 to a own a physical copy of everyone's favorite Genesis shooter. A lot of us want to own it, because dammit, we were there, and we feel like we should have owned it all along. We want all that stuff we couldn't afford back then. These kids now, especially the youngin's are going to grow up mostly downloading all of their games, and owning all of this old stuff won't even make sense to them. They'll be thinking - "why do you need to own a tattered piece of plastic in order to enjoy a video game?".

As for those of us who've been doing this for a decade or more, how could we possibly continue to drive prices up for another 40 years? Most of us have excessive collections at this point, already.
    I see your point but I was born in 1982. I have Fender amps from 1965. Fender guitars that are reissues of the ones made in the 50s. I collect records from the 50s and 60s too.

I guess Iím a rare case as to there are probably no others that do that from my graduating class. That said I married someone who has decked our house out so it looks like a mid century time piece and I have made musical acquaintances that are my age that collect old stuff too. So they are out there

Maybe this could happen with video games.

Learning a language well enough to be considered a native speaker is perhaps difficult. But learning one just enough so you can enjoy a video game, or have a good idea of what a written sentence means, that's not hard at all. The only single thing you have to do for it is to practice said language a lot. Every day. And that's what you can't do as an adult, as you have to spend more time on work and family, than as a kid when your entire day is spent on learning stuff in school (all schools teach a mandatory 2nd language over here, usually English or German, but there are also extra language schools).

Perhaps I'm an outlier like you said, but I managed to learn kana and a lot of kanji as well as some rudimentary French just by playing games, listening to music reading comics, and using dictionaries for stuff I don't understand - all of this being stuff I do in my free time, with no extra effort involved, I just picked it up over time. It's not enough to understand or reply to debates even as short as this one, but I can politely ask for two croissants at the bakery, or tell apart a karaoke bar and a love hotel without entering.

Well, the Japanese themselves are learning it exclusively for nearly 20 years, so you can't expect to learn it overnight. Like I mentioned, you have to practice it non stop. Also games or manga with furigana in them can help a lot. Games like RPGs can help since there's a lot of repeated words for plot elements or overworld entries (towns, dungeons, etc), and those will have characters you'll see repeatedly, at a specific spot, allowing you to memorize it faster. But even shit like "what is the sign on Goku's back" (亀 or 界王) can allow you to learn stuff because you'll have something to associate the word with, and association is basically how humans learn everything.

Basically you just have to practice practice practice.
    Seems like a total pain in the ass just to play a damned game. Itís just a lot easier to play a ROM that has an English patch.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Seems like a total pain in the ass just to play a damned game. Itís just a lot easier to play a ROM that has an English patch.
    Not when there isn't any patch around yet (which was my case with Star Cruiser back then).

Granted, I got forcefully started when Japanese people mistook me for an artist on Pixiv and started following me, soÖ

Whenever someone mentions a crash I suspect its just wishful thinking on their part. Like they want to see a crash for just long enough to finish their collection and then they don't care how high values climb after that.

Not when there isn't any patch around yet (which was my case with Star Cruiser back then).

Granted, I got forcefully started when Japanese people mistook me for an artist on Pixiv and started following me, soÖ
    There is now.

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/2776/

Master of Shinobi

We were translating game manuals with dictionaries back in the early 90s when the family couldn't speak English, just so we have an idea on what to do on certain games (C64 mostly). There were definitely no English patches back then.

There still aren't any English patches for every game, for example for Saturn games.

That won't help with all the other games that don't have patches yet :​P

Thread Information