Quantcast

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Something fishy is going on with Retro Game Sales...

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    Maybe memories are starting to fade, but ebay wasn't all rainbow and sunshine even back then, it's just that now it's even worse.
    I think the main difference is that originally it was just the "rarer" games in good condition that went for inflated prices, but nowadays even loose copies of common games are starting to get expensive which is what's baffling people.

There are definitely multiple events going on that seem to give a new boost every time. Yeah, quicker access to eBay probably is one of them, as is the whole recent push for grading absolutely everything (thanks Wata Games, even VGA wasn't this pushy), as are all the youtubers chasing for "hidden gems" for their videos (which nearly always result in a price hike for said games), etc.

Amusingly, stuff like the Mega Mouse or the Netlink Keyboard Adapter remain at the same price as ever lol (they seem to be strictly affected by inflation and nothing else). I'd prefer if there are USB adapters to replace them eventually (though proper four-button mouses are a pain to find) but meanwhile they better stay at those prices or I'm gonna be upset (・_・)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

For what it's worth I think the OP is right. I know ebay prices have been going up for a long time but 2020 takes the cake.
    Curiously enough I was listening to a youtube video talking about this subject. Some Seattle video game store owner talking about running out of Wii Sports and not being able to keep up with Nintendo Wii demand.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    This the reason the odd collectard sometimes actually pays 20 times current value and helps fuel the misinformation.

Classic gaming forums are full of people complaining about game prices while citing asking prices. If you click the SOLD box you can see that "high $$$" means $6.99

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...&LH_Complete=1

Snopes had to actually do an article on because of how quickly these urban legends spread.
    I definitely believe what you're saying, but there was a point where the Black Diamond version of Aladdin had people paying hundreds of dollars for it. It doesn't make any sense.

https://www.thebalancesmb.com/disney...sney%20catalog.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    Has anyone seen VHS tapes? Holy shit, something I could buy for 20p a few years back from the local Salvation's Army is now going for 60 GBP +. It's happening with other stuff as well. Weird times.
    VHS tapes are getting crazy in price if it was something not released elsewhere on DVD. Anything that was VHS/LD only now goes for big bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

^ That plays a part but doesn't tell the whole story. Street Trash and Roktober Blood are two examples of movies that were released on DVD, but people are paying more to get them on VHS. In the past, it seemed like only movies that never made the jump shot up in price, but now it's branching out to cult classics, movies released by certain distributors, etc.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Bullet Witch. That shitty Xbox 360 game. $200 new. You can get a lot of 360 games under $20 new but Bullet Witch?! Vampire Rain next?

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Quote Originally Posted by BubsyFan1 View Post
    ^ That plays a part but doesn't tell the whole story. Street Trash and Roktober Blood are two examples of movies that were released on DVD, but people are paying more to get them on VHS. In the past, it seemed like only movies that never made the jump shot up in price, but now it's branching out to cult classics, movies released by certain distributors, etc.
    That is honestly bizarre to me, considering the quality of VHS is just so much worse than DVD in a lot of respects....just seems like a lot of this is both nostalgia and boredom driven.

Personally I maintain that selling my stuff was the right move, I feel bad for anyone getting into it now but there are lots of other ways to play these games that go for crazy money. I'll never pay these prices. But I just don't see the charm in putting a Sega CD game in when they were so finicky, loaded so slowly, and most of the games were not worth playing. The ones that were worth playing have been ported to other platforms.

There's still plenty of legal emulation, the Mini consoles, PC ports, completely affordable ways to play these games. Doesn't need to be on 30 year old hardware through RF on a 125-lb CRT. Not the only way to enjoy these games in my opinion. We also can't discount inflation and the fact that the hobby is just way bigger than it ever was.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    That is honestly bizarre to me, considering the quality of VHS is just so much worse than DVD in a lot of respects....just seems like a lot of this is both nostalgia and boredom driven.
    There are some movies that just don't look good on DVD, like those with the downpour of rain, snow, or lots of action on the screen. MPEG-2 just doesn't have the bandwidth, and those kinds of movies will turn into a pixelated mess. My 1st DVD was the Matrix, and the pixelated black backgrounds during the roof scene just drove me nuts. That shit would have never happened on a VHS tape.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Probably can't say this but I don't think this "Friday the 13th" VideoCD is worth more than the $999 being asked...
    BTW if someone can help me find the "Fun House" 07FA-1106 catalog that'd be great, "光神話 パルテナの鏡/メトロイド オリジナル・サウンドトラック オーケストラ・ヴァーション = Kid Icarus / Metroid Original Soundtrack Orchestra Version". Thanks.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    There are some movies that just don't look good on DVD, like those with the downpour of rain, snow, or lots of action on the screen. MPEG-2 just doesn't have the bandwidth, and those kinds of movies will turn into a pixelated mess. My 1st DVD was the Matrix, and the pixelated black backgrounds during the roof scene just drove me nuts. That shit would have never happened on a VHS tape.
    VHS: home of the original dithering.

Yeah, there's no doubt that DVD was superior, but when a ton of action hit the screen, the format pretty much took a nose dive.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Yeah, there's no doubt that DVD was superior, but when a ton of action hit the screen, the format pretty much took a nose dive.
    Only on early shit quality encodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I've done this, but I already started years ago. VHS rental copies, I wanted the exact versions that I'd seen as a kid. I don't use them, though. But seeing the big boxes and old covers makes me happy. Some of them hadn't made the jump to DVD and have done so since, but I'm still keeping them. But yes, for me it's definitely nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    I imagine that there's a big overlap between early DVD releases and movies that also had a VHS release (including Matrix, yes).

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Id noticed that in Terminator 3, they reduced the size of a large explosion on the DVD version, from that of the Blu-Ray version to reduce the amount of moving imagery.

Thread Information