Quantcast

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Something fishy is going on with Retro Game Sales...

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    We were translating game manuals with dictionaries back in the early 90s when the family couldn't speak English, just so we have an idea on what to do on certain games (C64 mostly). There were definitely no English patches back then.

There still aren't any English patches for every game, for example for Saturn games.
    English is a hell of a lot easier, since most languages are derived from Latin. I can at least understand about 5% of what my Spanish speaking coworkers are saying.

Moon language is a whole different story.

Iíve been looking at a translated version of Policenauts for the Saturn. I just need to get a psuedo Saturn cart soon.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Master of Shinobi

Here's something I've been pondering for a while now that I don't think there's been much research on: to what extent could price escalation be caused by trade between resellers alone?

Could numerous resellers buying games from each other to flip for a modest profit cause continual escalation of the average prices? Could the price escalation of moderately expensive games (i.e. $100+ games but not games worth 1000s) be caused in significant part by resellers buying from each other to resell themselves, driving up prices in the process, rather than it being driven by collectors?

It would be interesting to look into this, but ebay's anonymisation and limited auction history search makes it difficult.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    Here's something I've been pondering for a while now that I don't think there's been much research on: to what extent could price escalation be caused by trade between resellers alone?

Could numerous resellers buying games from each other to flip for a modest profit cause continual escalation of the average prices? Could the price escalation of moderately expensive games (i.e. $100+ games but not games worth 1000s) be caused in significant part by resellers buying from each other to resell themselves, driving up prices in the process, rather than it being driven by collectors?

It would be interesting to look into this, but ebay's anonymisation and limited auction history search makes it difficult.
    Probably not? Ebay + PayPal fees are at least 13%, plus shipping can be expensive. Resellers usually target auctions, particularly lots.

A related likelihood is that would-be resellers bid higher on auctions (lots) than items are worth with the intention of reselling for profit at a later date. But because they aren't good at math or are overly optimistic, they bid more than the items will ever be worth, and when you get two such resellers, they can bid up the price to an exceptionally high value.

I've witnessed such behavior countless times for a smaller field of collecting unrelated to video games: A certain known reseller could be identified by his high feedback rating, and he would constantly bid up auction lots to high prices and win. Then, a few weeks later, he'd have portioned out the lot into smaller groupings and listed them for sale, but he'd rarely make back what he bid in the first place when you consider all the fees.

Essentially, resellers aren't all necessarily good at math, and they might be driving up prices with the hope of profiting. In reality, they are losing money. We still suffer, though, especially when there are multiple such people.

I imagine that the prices constantly escalating is only going to bring in even more people like that who think they can make a buck that way.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

And with more people stuck at home, you've got more potential prospectors who think they've figured out the secret to making a quick buck buying and selling on eBay.

Certain areas are starting to reopen slowly. I'd like to see someone analyze what was seen from these last two to three months and then when everything is fully open, analyze what is seen for games buying and selling for a two to three month span. Because I think prices will tumble down. Not all the way, but enough that resellers will have to go back to prices slightly above where they were before the pandemic.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

I still posit that the spike is solely to take advantage of the additional "expendable" income received in the form of economic un-fucking payments, and bonuses to standard unemployment payouts. People have more money, despite being out of work.
    Look at what it costs to rent an apartment in the worst part of Los Angeles, and what it costs to rent in a housing project in southern Indiana. The availability of money leads to price gouging.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    I cannot stand John Hancock. MJR I can kinda tolerate but that fucker next to him in a huge tool.
    Lol, I never liked him either. I love Kinsey and Kelsey though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    And with more people stuck at home, you've got more potential prospectors who think they've figured out the secret to making a quick buck buying and selling on eBay.
    I wouldnt be surprised. Even I did this in the past...where someone would list something for way under what it was going for, then wait a little bit and relist it later for an absurd price to see who would buy. I bought a book for $50 on Amazon, then 6 months later relisted it for $200. It was the only copy, so it eventually sold. People do this to find the breaking point of what people are willing to pay for rare products online.

The real question is who is holding the bag at the end or paying the absurd price for this stuff? I think thats where the covid-19 expendable income and interest in things to do while in the house comes up, combined with the exponential growth in popularity of classic games over the last 10 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

I expect stuff will drop in price eventually, but it won't be fast and and it'll be a slow decline like we've seen with other stuff. As long as the brands still have an identity that people can relate to though, they'll still have collectibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

I saw someone on twitter mention that Mega Man 64 has really shot up in price. Boy how. I bought it brand new in 2011 off Amazon for under $20. I opened it on a YT video back then.

I just looked for it on eBay...

$800 for a sealed copy.

What the fuck?! Mine may no longer be sealed but still in perfect condition. Not selling but that's nuts.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Master of Shinobi

What's really annoying with this trend is that it's pushing me towards buying some games with prices I ordinarily wouldn't pay, not because I think the prices are acceptable, but because I absolutely want them in my collection and frankly I'm scared that their price will increase even more. That's what happened with Battle Mania Daiginjou: I didn't buy it when it was merely expensive and now it's firmly in the "nope" territory with no signs of coming down any time soon.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

The "fear of missing out" is one of the reasons why prices continue to increase.

In a normal situation no sane person would pay $300-400 for a single game, but in front of the possibility to never own that game in your entire life (because retrogaming prices for some odd reason would not decrease, on the contrary there is a high risk that the same game will be $450 next year), some will bite out of desperation.

Unfortunately that's also our fault to maintain this vicious circle.

This vicious circle could be broken if people could learn to self-regulate.
    Imagine an ebay auction: normally people bid with everything they got until prices reach the limits.

What if instead to fight for an auction until it reaches $200, people would stop at $60? Of course it needs that someone must give up. Maybe this time you lost, but next time there will be higher chances to see other auctions at lower price (thanks to ebay price tracking system).

I fought in auctions with few other people and realize "if we continue like this no one of us will really "win" and we will only get the standard ludicrous price", then I simply choose to give up and let the other bidder win the auction at a nice price.
    Other times I won because the other bidder gave up early, maybe for the same reason.

It doesn't happen frequently, probably because people doesn't realize that they have this option too. We are all on the same boat, if we retro fans act as a community even on auctions there will be a chance for everyone.

Think about it next time you go to ebay.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

I'll never accept blame for the actions of resellers and trustfundistas with bottomless bank accounts destroying the hobby.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

I've sold several CIB game consoles on eBay for probably double what I could have gotten in 2019. They were taking up space and I realized I simply wasn't going to use them. The big difference is that there's just not that much being sold right now. The quantity has really, really gone down. I'm not sure that the demand is the only reason for all this.

Furthermore, my buddy finally had time to go through his attic and found his old game systems and games. He had a ton of late release NES games, which I told him were piles of crap but probably worth money. I had him look at one of the pricing accumulator sites, and that's how he set his prices, but he also put them all like 20% higher just to see. He kept the offer price around the "book" value. Well his stuff was going Buy It Now like hot cakes, I couldn't believe it. So I checked, and what I found was that his were only one of literally a dozen or less items on eBay at the time. There just wasn't anything available, so people who are home and bored with some stimulus money, are just buying like mad but they're also paying obscene prices for the stuff.

Thread Information