Quantcast

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Something fishy is going on with Retro Game Sales...

Who can justify spending some of the obscene prices being paid for some games now? Even the wealthiest people I know couldn't buy some of the expensive games without being killed by the wife.

When a graded game sells for $50,000 is it being bought by some guy with $100mil cash in the bank, or is it being bought by the guy we all know who wastes his money on strange stuff and then complains that he never has money for food?

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    Who can justify spending some of the obscene prices being paid for some games now? Even the wealthiest people I know couldn't buy some of the expensive games without being killed by the wife.

When a graded game sells for $50,000 is it being bought by some guy with $100mil cash in the bank, or is it being bought by the guy we all know who wastes his money on strange stuff and then complains that he never has money for food?
    Someone on another forum bought a NWC championship cart. He was a software engineer without a significant other. Think that says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    Someone on another forum bought a NWC championship cart. He was a software engineer without a significant other. Think that says it all.
    That'll be another one of those people who go around saying: "I'm a poor software engineer with no money".

What is it with software engineers always pleading poverty while they seem to all have obscene amounts of disposable income? This is no word of a lie here, but some of the wealthiest customers I deal with at work are young software guys, but when I asked a few of them for career advice for my cousin (she wanted to work in software), they all said that she should stay away from software because there's 'just no money in software anymore' (One of them even said she was too old even though she was about 15 at the time WTF?). I guess I should start my own software company, I'll pay all the engineers minimum wage since that's what they all claim they earn anyway.

Outrunner

That'll be another one of those people who go around saying: "I'm a poor software engineer with no money".

What is it with software engineers always pleading poverty while they seem to all have obscene amounts of disposable income? This is no word of a lie here, but some of the wealthiest customers I deal with at work are young software guys, but when I asked a few of them for career advice for my cousin (she wanted to work in software), they all said that she should stay away from software because there's 'just no money in software anymore' (One of them even said she was too old even though she was about 15 at the time WTF?). I guess I should start my own software company, I'll pay all the engineers minimum wage since that's what they all claim they earn anyway.
    They all want to be Mark Zuckerberg, thievery, Asian wife, and all.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

My nephew is a software engineer. He's autistic, which makes him very centered on things, while being sort of oblivious to what most of us would take notice of. He doesn't drive his car, which my brother and his wife finally talked him into purchasing last year, but he does ride his bike to work. He's pretty much the Shelden Cooper of his field. Like Sheldon, he would never even dream of spending a large amount of cash on anything.
    Last edited by gamevet; 07-15-2020 at 11:11 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    My nephew is a software engineer. He's autistic, which makes him very centered on things, while being sort of oblivious what most of us would take notice of. He doesn't drive his car, which my brother and his wife finally talked him into purchasing last year, but he does ride his bike to work. He's pretty much the Shelden Cooper of his field. Like Sheldon, he would never even dream of spending a large amount of cash on anything.
    Just to be clear, I didn't say this guy was autistic (how could I know? I'm no doctor) nor do I disparage those who are. I'm speaking more to a difference in personality with some types. To quote The Social Network, "It's not because you're a nerd, it's because you're an asshole."

Just to be clear, I didn't say this guy was autistic (how could I know? I'm no doctor) nor do I disparage those who are. I'm speaking more to a difference in personality with some types. To quote The Social Network, "It's not because you're a nerd, it's because you're an asshole."
    I wasn't centering it around just your comment, but there is a certain frame of mind for someone that would want to get into that field. It can be a very me centric job and not every software engineer works with large groups. They may come off as being an asshole, because they don't develop the social skills to communicate or understand the feelings of others. A lot of them have led very sheltered lives, because the way that they think, is very different from those that have lived a more social life.

You should check out Inside Bill's Brain: Decoding Bill Gates. He was an asshole to his parents, because he just couldn't relate to the social aspect, which in his mind was a waste of his time. Bill Gates would have been socially inept, if not for his mother forcing him to understand the importance of being social. He was driven to take in as much information as he could, and he viewed being social as something that would take away from the more important things to him.

A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    He's pretty much the Shelden Cooper of his field. Like Sheldon, he would never even dream of spending a large amount of cash on anything.

He obviously doesn't work with any of my customers then. If I see a new $150k car parking up outside work with some 23 year old in the driver's seat then there's always a colleague of mine will joke that his parents paid for it. Nine times out of ten though it'll be some software guy. Most of them don't seem socially inept, but there was one guy who I really wanted to punch in the face and looking back on it I think he was just too autistic to know he was annoying.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

I think any individual with a well paying job and no other commitments such as partner/kids is apt to spend quite a lot on their hobbies. I mean, as long as you put aside for retirement and the like I don't see an issue with spending what is essentially "fun money".

If your cousin is still interested in software I recommend she become familiar with math and logic concepts first, there are intro courses out there. Right now there is a lot of demand for people with Java and Python experience, and C# is also pretty widely used. Depends on her overall interest, but degrees in computer science with something secondary (statistics, math, finance) can make a real nice foot in the door for a high paying job right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

I saw something about Google having an 6 to 8 month training program that will earn the person a job with the company. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

I've taken this thread off course, but never mind.

My cousin finished a math degree and became an actuary a while back (bad choice in my opinion). Given the way the world is heading with automation, I think software dev might be about the only job in existence in twenty years time. My cousin did find someone who offered her a software job and all training required after an aptitude test though (she obviously turned that down). It seems that the world is desperate for software engineers and yet I haven't heard of many schools and colleges pushing those skills, at least not in my town anyway.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I think any individual with a well paying job and no other commitments such as partner/kids is apt to spend quite a lot on their hobbies. I mean, as long as you put aside for retirement and the like I don't see an issue with spending what is essentially "fun money".
    That was the point of this sub-conversation. Plenty of those guys then complain about not having any money, paying taxes, etc. In reality, plenty of them are just bad with money. Not all, of course. Maybe not even most. But a large portion of them regardless.

Master of Shinobi

Ah yes, the classic "no wife" lifehack.

I remember reading about 80s' programmers, that were pretty much kids, getting big checks from publishers for their computer games. The 1st thing that a lot of them did, was buy an exotic car of some sort. Then you'd hear about the company tha they had created, folding 5 or 6 years later, because they had ran out of money.

Master of Shinobi

What is it with software engineers always pleading poverty while they seem to all have obscene amounts of disposable income?
    Because when someone does computer jobs, they automatically call themselves "software engineers", even if they are just data entry monkeys, or creating powerpoint slides. Which does not pay as well as an actual software engineer.

Thread Information