Quantcast

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Something fishy is going on with Retro Game Sales...

ACHTUNG! MD angeschaltet! Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One eukara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    Because when someone does computer jobs, they automatically call themselves "software engineers", even if they are just data entry monkeys, or creating powerpoint slides. Which does not pay as well as an actual software engineer.
    And web designers call themselves front-end engineers these days.
    With the amount of cobbled together external JavaScript they often import it's clear they aren't too attached to nitty gritty technical side of things.
    But hey... if it works smoothly on my 1500 USD company laptop, it'll work the same on real world hardware too, eh?

On-topic though, the prices for certain Amiga/PC ports to the MD are still pretty good
    Been enjoying Bloodshot.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

We can all be Waste Disposal Engineers.

The word Engineer gets thrown around way too much these days. What we used to call a computer programmer, is now a Software Engineer.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by eukara View Post
    And web designers call themselves front-end engineers these days.
    With the amount of cobbled together external JavaScript they often import it's clear they aren't too attached to nitty gritty technical side of things.
    But hey... if it works smoothly on my 1500 USD company laptop, it'll work the same on real world hardware too, eh?

On-topic though, the prices for certain Amiga/PC ports to the MD are still pretty good
    Been enjoying Bloodshot.
    Oh, if only you knew how bad things really are.

For example:
    https://github.com/jonschlinkert/is-...aster/index.js

'use strict';

var isOdd = require('is-odd');

module.exports = function isEven(i) {
    return !isOdd(i);
    };
    This "module" gets over a hundred thousand weekly downloads on npm. It's parent, is-odd.js gets over half million.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    The word Engineer gets thrown around way too much these days. What we used to call a computer programmer, is now a Software Engineer.
    You're exactly right. Companies seem to think that by calling their guys 'engineers' (regardless of the job they do) it makes people look better, when in fact they're just undermining the people who really are engineers. Hell, I used to work with a guy who called himself a qualified engineer because his previous job was repairing lawnmowers and his employer called the lawnmower repair team 'engineers'. I don't want to denigrate people who work hard at their jobs in any particular field, but if your job is to sweep the floor in a warehouse somewhere then you are not a 'cleanliness engineer'.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    You're exactly right. Companies seem to think that by calling their guys 'engineers' (regardless of the job they do) it makes people look better, when in fact they're just undermining the people who really are engineers. Hell, I used to work with a guy who called himself a qualified engineer because his previous job was repairing lawnmowers and his employer called the lawnmower repair team 'engineers'. I don't want to denigrate people who work hard at their jobs in any particular field, but if your job is to sweep the floor in a warehouse somewhere then you are not a 'cleanliness engineer'.
    Yeah, engineer is bad, but now everyone is a consultant, too.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

In other news, retro prices are still going up while we live in a pandemic. I'm debating starting to unload lots of stuff at this point because as long as I'm getting paid for it now I'll take it to the bank.

I getting a bit burned out by it all and don't really feel like it's my job to police how people are (mis?)spending their money if they'll throw it at me for stuff I've had this long.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Super Sexy Sega Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    In other news, retro prices are still going up while we live in a pandemic. I'm debating starting to unload lots of stuff at this point because as long as I'm getting paid for it now I'll take it to the bank.

I getting a bit burned out by it all and don't really feel like it's my job to police how people are (mis?)spending their money if they'll throw it at me for stuff I've had this long.
    Legit some of the stuff has exploded.
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

Nobody is going to bring this up?
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/...er-mario-bros/

Move over collectors, now it's time for companies to grab up all the games.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post

It's been brought up before. Just forgot where. Oh and...

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Spendle's Avatar

This depresses me.

I remember 20+ years ago as a young teen being conscious that I was the only one snapping up the clearance mega drive games from the computer shops and market stalls. Then through the 00s I felt I was doing my own little thing to help preserve the mega drive and games as nobody I knew had kept their old systems - friends found it peculiar that I hadn't moved on to the modern consoles (and probably laughed!). Now we have this shit. It's a shame - I'd rather be the strange one buying the old, cheapo games than battling with investors.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    So wait.. so you've never sold anything for more than you paid for it?
    Only an Enron ash tray ($0.10, $6) and a Gmail invite from the closed beta period (free, $40).
    You're telling me that if you bought a game for $10, 15 years ago, and then decided to sell.. you'd still sell it for $10 even if it's going for $200 now? Excuse me if I don't believe that bullshit.
    Why would I suddenly decide to sell something? If I have any severe health issues, my game collection won't pay for it, even at the most crackhead prices. I've only ever sold one game, Tecmo Super Bowl, for $11 in 2004, but I paid $15 for it when I bought it. Someone wanted it more than I did, and I was never going to play it again. When things leave my collection, it's normally because they were stolen from me, or because I gave them away to someone who couldn't afford reseller prices just to play games they had as a kid. Classic games I bought on ebay were at the regular prices they sold for at garage sales.

There's something strange about people who don't believe others can think and behave differently from them.
    - Where it's always 1995 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

ACHTUNG! MD angeschaltet! Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One eukara's Avatar

There's a certain company out there right now that republishes games on all major platforms and has done some scummy things not too long ago the same way. This was about 3 years ago.
    It came to my attention because their CEO posted an image of themselves on twitter, with a TON of new-old-stock/vg copies of this game from ebay, They didn't get the rights, then went on to try and sell the copies for 60-80 USD a piece to get rid of them. Once negotiations seemed to have fallen through, of course. Dropped like hot potatoes!
    They're not considered resellers, they're actually regarded a 'respected' republisher of videogames. It seemed to me that they tried to squat those copies so that once they put up their own digital storepage for this title, people couldn't go and get physical releases and were forced to go to them instead. They couldn't have sold them as their own anyway because the old publisher info would have still been on the packaging, disc and everything.

It just seems odd. Like this seems so inefficient - by why do it otherwise? Maybe one of you has an idea.
    Last edited by eukara; 08-14-2020 at 09:13 AM.

Outrunner

They are playing with fire as nobody know how much new old stock is still out there in mint condition, given how much was produced and how many were still unsold. Anyway jcontra did a video on it

Master of Shinobi

Wow, that's ridiculous. It'll be interesting to see how that goes. See, a lot of the other things they sell shares in, sports cars and the like, make good talking points. If you stand to make a little money back too, all the better for you. Sealed video games though... outside of a very small group, a sealed copy of Super Mario Brothers doesn't exactly give the owner the same cachet as owning a Ferrari does. To most people, saying you're a shared owner of a Ferrari sounds a damn sight more impressive than saying you're the part owner of a copy of Mario. As such, I can see interest in this being a lot more limited.

The whole scheme seems like a nice way for those running it to make money, but I hope there aren't many collectors who put money into this. They'd only be hurting themselves in the long run.
    Last edited by Silanda; 08-14-2020 at 01:54 PM.

Outrunner

Can someone tell by why Zelda: A Link to the Past complete in box now goes as much as a SNES with Mario bundled did in 1995? I mean the game wasn't exactly rare, did most everyone just toss the box and manual away?

Thread Information