Quantcast

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 302

Thread: Something fishy is going on with Retro Game Sales...

  1. #241
    End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    9,535
    Rep Power
    134

    Default

    The NES Classic debunks that idea. There were about 3 million of them produced when it came out, and scalpers hoarded them to flip on ebay. I blame Nintendo for not producing enough of them, but people knew that they would become a hot product because of the audience it was catering to.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  2. #242
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Spendle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    London
    Posts
    106
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    As much as I would love prices to come back down again, I just don't see it happening. The ardent collector buys everything up to hold on to, supply drops but interest remains high so proportionately you have an increase in people fighting over the what remains. People become desperate and pay over the odds.

    The market has become attractive to those who want to make some quick cash or see a business opportunity as the prices continue to rise. These individuals are happy to buy the product at practically any cost as they can then just stick it on eBay at an inflated buy-it-now (no best offer) price and wait until someone flinches and buys it. That sets the new baseline price and repeat. A shop owner who wants to set a price +10% to cover overheads checks eBay to see what it goes for and then bases their price on these inflated ones. It's very rare to find variation in prices these days unless it's the difference between pricey and pricier.

    As the particular consoles age, the frequency turning up at charity shops, jumble sales, car boot sales etc. decreases as it's unlikely a 25+ yr old console has been stored in someone's loft for so long. This reduces the opportunity for finding this stuff out in the wild at a reasonable price - plus people now use eBay to set the price on items readily searchable and comparable.

    Someone made this point earlier which I think is relevant: consoles 10+ years old start to see a rise in prices as teens of that generation search for their nostalgia hit and start to have disposable income to throw at it.
    This will still be relevant for current generations but might change for future ones if everything goes digital - who knows?

    Finally, as the consoles and games age some will die due to degradation of the electronics. Therefore the number in circulation drops and so the prices will rise as a consequence, assuming there is demand. I don't ever see there not being demand for this old tech as it satisfies that nostalgia hit perfectly.

    So, unfortunately, pricey old games and consoles are here to stay and don't be surprised when games which once fetched pennies end up going for £££. It's something I've come to accept but doesn't mean I don't grumble about it! I hope I'm wrong and the arse falls out of this thing!

  3. #243
    Raging in the Streets Sik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,166
    Rep Power
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    The NES Classic debunks that idea. There were about 3 million of them produced when it came out, and scalpers hoarded them to flip on ebay. I blame Nintendo for not producing enough of them, but people knew that they would become a hot product because of the audience it was catering to.
    To be fair, this was during peak Flash shortage and Nintendo really needed all the Flash they could get for the Switch (which itself had a shortage as well), and by the time said shortage was finally over the demand had mellowed.

    But yeah, I guess that by this point anything physical no matter what is going to be hoarded then. It's only going to be worse once Microsoft and Sony drop physical media for good (I really doubt that the optical drive will last long in the PS5 and XSX, especially the latter seeing how badly Microsoft is trying to push everybody into Game Pass even if it's at the expense of purchasing every studio they can).

  4. #244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post
    I can't believe how many random games are becoming $100 and $200+ games this year. This shit just keeps getting more bananas. Remember back in the early 2010s when it felt absurd that there were a handful of NES games that sold for few hundred each? That was nothing. There's like 50 PS1 games over that sell for over $100 now. Gamecube, PS2, the madness continues to spread. I swear there's at least a handful of random bargain bin titles that go from dirt cheap nobody cares to "holy grail" status every month. All you have to do is flash something in front of a collector's face and say "it's RARE" and they'll give you whatever you ask, and consequently so will everyone else from that point forward. I don't see how these arbitrary spikes will sustain their values over time. This shit got old 10 years ago, and I can't believe so many people are still THIS hyped about collecting plastic/paper shelf-porn.
    I thought 25 dollars was ridiculous for specific SNES and N64 games ten years ago. PS2 and GameCube are to the point of where you have the ones who are nostalgic for it and will do anything to get back their childhood.
    Some people like companies losing jobs.

  5. #245
    Master of Shinobi WarmSignal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,635
    Rep Power
    51

    Default

    I never saw games marked at 25$ back in 2010. Maybe like that one off his rocker seller that no one would buy from, but I'd just pass on that, and find it in a yard sale later for 3$. I don't know that it's about the childhood, I think it's the collecting fever. There exists many alternatives today, and ones that are superior to what was available in 2010. Flashcarts, system mods, reproductions, clone consoles, emulators, etc. Unless their childhood is having a shelf full of plastic stuff on it, I don't see the need to spend so excessively.

    I think it's the super hardcore gotta have every game A - Z "collectors" that drive the prices through the roof. Aparently that's a hot thing to do now with GameCube of all consoles. I'm sorry if it offends some collectors here, but that's just fucking dumb no matter what system you do it for. There's just so much trash out there on every system, and do you know what it looks like when you collect all the games that came out on one system? It looks like lineup of mostly trash games sitting on a shelf, overshadow anything noteworthy. You gotta have a lot of time and money on your hands to do that, and that's where all the speculating comes in, the nutso price hikes and all of that. It comes from the folks who obsessively know a console library inside and out because they have three of everything and are still looking for some "upgrades".

  6. #246
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,297
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    As a side note, the price escalation of some strategy guides is even more insane than that of the games themselves. It seems that if a strategy guide isn't readily available, some sellers will slap absolutely insane prices on copies they have for sale. Not just high, but insane. I don't imagine anyone's actually buying unless there's some huge collectors market that has somehow gone unnoticed, so maybe it's the result of price setting algorithms gone awry. It's really quite annoying though.

  7. #247
    Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Southwest USA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,472
    Rep Power
    75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    As a side note, the price escalation of some strategy guides is even more insane than that of the games themselves. It seems that if a strategy guide isn't readily available, some sellers will slap absolutely insane prices on copies they have for sale. Not just high, but insane. I don't imagine anyone's actually buying unless there's some huge collectors market that has somehow gone unnoticed, so maybe it's the result of price setting algorithms gone awry. It's really quite annoying though.
    I've seen a lot of seller who are like: "if there are no listings I'm just going to shoot for the moon"

    I guess you can try and set the market price, but good luck lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

  8. #248
    AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,162
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post
    I never saw games marked at 25$ back in 2010. Maybe like that one off his rocker seller that no one would buy from, but I'd just pass on that, and find it in a yard sale later for 3$. I don't know that it's about the childhood, I think it's the collecting fever. There exists many alternatives today, and ones that are superior to what was available in 2010. Flashcarts, system mods, reproductions, clone consoles, emulators, etc. Unless their childhood is having a shelf full of plastic stuff on it, I don't see the need to spend so excessively.

    I think it's the super hardcore gotta have every game A - Z "collectors" that drive the prices through the roof. Aparently that's a hot thing to do now with GameCube of all consoles. I'm sorry if it offends some collectors here, but that's just fucking dumb no matter what system you do it for. There's just so much trash out there on every system, and do you know what it looks like when you collect all the games that came out on one system? It looks like lineup of mostly trash games sitting on a shelf, overshadow anything noteworthy. You gotta have a lot of time and money on your hands to do that, and that's where all the speculating comes in, the nutso price hikes and all of that. It comes from the folks who obsessively know a console library inside and out because they have three of everything and are still looking for some "upgrades".
    I'm of similar mind, but this perspective attracts more than a little ire seemingly everywhere. There's a shitfit going on over at VOGONS because someone said that people who pay insane ebay prices for old computer parts are just incentivizing dirty resellers to continuously raise their prices so that people who don't make $25 an hour pretending to work at an online newspaper can't afford anything. I wanted a 1MB ISA video card for my 486 so I could use Windows 3 in truecolor mode, but I'll be damned if I pay a hundred dollars for one that will arrive in several small pieces and two large ones thanks to the seller thinking that a bubble envelope is perfect for an expansion card.
    - Where it's always 1995 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

  9. #249
    Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,361
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sull56ivan2010 View Post
    I thought 25 dollars was ridiculous for specific SNES and N64 games ten years ago. PS2 and GameCube are to the point of where you have the ones who are nostalgic for it and will do anything to get back their childhood.
    Never underestimate the power of nostalgia. I myself suffer from chronic nostalgia.

  10. #250
    Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,408
    Rep Power
    161

    Default

    Scalper groups making off with a large number of PS5s. Even hit the news. Is it really that hard to believe that these same groups aren't influencing the retro market? Shit has gotten out of hand.



  11. #251
    Master of Shinobi WarmSignal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,635
    Rep Power
    51

    Default

    Scalping is pretty much a religion these days, to a certain type of scumbag (and the Internet makes it so much more easy). Remember that one dumbass who scalped hand sanitizer at the beginning of the pandemic and made the news? You can see it in his face that he never worked an honest day in his life. Nobody needs a leech to resell them something for triple the price. You're actively make the world a shittier place to be. Get crushed.

  12. #252
    Wildside Expert vexatious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    168
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Maybe I shouldn't say but, I still don't understand why Windows 10 was distributed as a free upgrade to existing Windows 7 users. Not to mention there's been previous Windows catalogs with much worse criticism from advertising like "Windows Millennium Edition" which could only be found at $120.00 as OEM upgrade CD as the lowest cost option while still requiring an existing Windows Chicago CD and boot disk.

  13. #253
    The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    1999
    Posts
    5,437
    Rep Power
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vexatious View Post
    Maybe I shouldn't say but, I still don't understand why Windows 10 was distributed as a free upgrade to existing Windows 7 users. Not to mention there's been previous Windows catalogs with much worse criticism from advertising like "Windows Millennium Edition" which could only be found at $120.00 as OEM upgrade CD as the lowest cost option while still requiring an existing Windows Chicago CD and boot disk.
    Win10 was given out free to avoid the WinXP problem they had. Releasing Vista,7,8. A large portion of people was still using XP. Why they were still patching it until 2014. MS wanted to avoid people using older OS's. Not only that but wanted to emulate the OSX model from Apple. So it's technically the last OS but not really.

    Life!? ... What console is that on?

    [PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99


  14. #254
    End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    9,535
    Rep Power
    134

    Default

    I still have a Windows 7 PC. I was on it last night. Itís still getting updates, even though MS says they dropped support. Windows 10 is full of bloat ware with up to 170 background apps running, compared to about 70 on the Windows 7 setup.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  15. #255
    Raging in the Streets Blades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,625
    Rep Power
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I still have a Windows 7 PC. I was on it last night. Itís still getting updates, even though MS says they dropped support. Windows 10 is full of bloat ware with up to 170 background apps running, compared to about 70 on the Windows 7 setup.
    Windows 7 is not secure to use right now. Even though some updates may happen, they are for various external components like Internet Explorer. Vulnerabilities aren't patched, and it's best not to use it on the internet, especially now when support was just dropped.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •