Quantcast

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Something fishy is going on with Retro Game Sales...

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Windows 7 is not secure to use right now. Even though some updates may happen, they are for various external components like Internet Explorer. Vulnerabilities aren't patched, and it's best not to use it on the internet, especially now when support was just dropped.
    They are still providing security updates, even though they say they’ve cut support. There are way too many businesses still using W7 PCs, including the Morgan Stanley that I replaced 2 of their W7 PCs with W10. They still had a whole training room full of networked W7 PCs that they needed to replace.

My video capture device does not have W10 driver support, so I use that W7 PC for that, Windows Office and very light web browsing. The router has a firewall, so I’m not all that concerned with security. I have a W10 PC for 99% of my internet use.
    Last edited by gamevet; 04-15-2021 at 02:32 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post
    Scalping is pretty much a religion these days, to a certain type of scumbag (and the Internet makes it so much more easy). Remember that one dumbass who scalped hand sanitizer at the beginning of the pandemic and made the news? You can see it in his face that he never worked an honest day in his life. Nobody needs a leech to resell them something for triple the price. You're actively make the world a shittier place to be. Get crushed.
    You may not like what he did but I see nothing unethical about it. It's not his fault he saw an opportunity and jumped on it. I blame the stores for not raising prices in response to an increase in demand (which would have signaled to the supplier to get more of the product there as soon as possible). The scalper is performing a valuable service by making sure the product will go to those who are willing to pay the most for it, versus ending up in a situation where there's no sanitizer available at any price. Guys like him help us get back to normalcy faster.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    You may not like what he did but I see nothing unethical about it. It's not his fault he saw an opportunity and jumped on it. I blame the stores for not raising prices in response to an increase in demand (which would have signaled to the supplier to get more of the product there as soon as possible). The scalper is performing a valuable service by making sure the product will go to those who are willing to pay the most for it, versus ending up in a situation where there's no sanitizer available at any price. Guys like him help us get back to normalcy faster.
    If it's even legal in your country, then it shows how fucked up yours is.

The fact that you see nothing unethical with it is much more alarming.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post

Its precisely the bullshit mentality that made me move away from London. We seem to be living in a world where everyone just thinks "ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME, NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW".

I'm sure there's always been greedy people, but holy shit its bad now.

Master of Shinobi

He saw an opening on the market and acted on it. There's nothing unethical about that, and the only reason people can scalp like that is because we have grown too accustomed to living in a consumer society. You don't need to have your shelf full of every Sega game ever made, and if it comes to it it's possible to make soap and ferment alcohol yourself to use as sanitizers. The stores over here even started selling "medicinal" vodka.

If you have a problem with retro game prices, I remind you that you can 1. get a job, or 2. get a life - or a new hobby.

3 Emulate the games and quit whining.

4. Get an Everdrive like cart and play the Roms on your console.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

A local judge cracked down on his ass. That loser ended up giving a lot of it away. There are laws against what he did. The dumb ass could have kept on overcharging people, but he made the mistake of bragging about it on social media.

Master of Shinobi

Not only do I find it ethical, I think it should be encouraged.

Where do you invest your money? If you plan on retiring at some point I bet your strategy consists of something along the lines of "buy low, sell high." Does that make you a bad person?

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

So I should fund my retirement by buying up all of the necessary goods and medications in my area, and sell them at a premium to other retired individuals? That's cartoon villain talk.
    - Where it's always 1995 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    So I should fund my retirement by buying up all of the necessary goods and medications in my area, and sell them at a premium to other retired individuals?
    "What a concept..." - Martin Shkreli, circa 2014.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Even if what that guy did was legal, he was a total douche for doing it. The real blame though, lies with the store that didn't have a limit on how many bottles of sanitizer a person could buy.

And I agree with Gamevet. I have Everdrives for multiple consoles and give no fucks. I have zero interest in collector's prices and just want to play. If someone wants to pay $600 for Snatcher, more power to them. I'm done with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Windows 7 is not secure to use right now. Even though some updates may happen, they are for various external components like Internet Explorer. Vulnerabilities aren't patched, and it's best not to use it on the internet, especially now when support was just dropped.
    Windows 7 isn't any less secure than Windows 10. Support does not equal security.

I've been perplexed as to why anyone still pays so much for carts. I understand when its a new game and you want to support the dev, but a flashcart pays for itself pretty quickly if you ever want to play Alien Soldier or SOR3.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    I've been perplexed as to why anyone still pays so much for carts. I understand when its a new game and you want to support the dev, but a flashcart pays for itself pretty quickly if you ever want to play Alien Soldier or SOR3.
    something, something, actual hardware, wanting a physical box, etc. It's a cool idea, but way too pricey to collect, especially when the money is just going to another person versus the company that made the game. I've got no problem spending 60 bucks on a new game, I'm not spending 130 for a 20 year old used game, just doesn't make sense anymore with the large number of avenues one can take to play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    He saw an opening on the market and acted on it. There's nothing unethical about that, and the only reason people can scalp like that is because we have grown too accustomed to living in a consumer society. You don't need to have your shelf full of every Sega game ever made, and if it comes to it it's possible to make soap and ferment alcohol yourself to use as sanitizers. The stores over here even started selling "medicinal" vodka.

If you have a problem with retro game prices, I remind you that you can 1. get a job, or 2. get a life - or a new hobby.
    I see an opening too, I'm gonna buy all the fuckin' Twinkies in the land and when someone wants a Twinkie it's 50 fuckin' bucks or no Twinkie for your fat ass. Oh right, the scalpers already tried to "retire" on the Twinkie didn't they?

Thread Information