Quantcast

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Something fishy is going on with Retro Game Sales...

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

I get the angle with supply and demand and the things are getting old, but no, this has been going on for a long time now. It's systematic. People are deliberately raising the prices up, and sadly, I seriously doubt they will ever go down.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Itís always been going on, but the past month isnít a good indicator, because everyone started price gouging right around the time of the stimulus check.

I donít know where TrekkiesUnite was seeing Sonic R for @$45 several months ago, because the last time I checked (several months ago) most people were asking for more than $60. The Japanese import can still be had for under $40.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

People seem to always think that the value of their favourite stuff (not just video games) will be returning to its 'normal' value in the near future. I can almost guarantee that there will be no return to late 90's values for your favourite Sega and Nintendo games. You might as well be waiting for a Stradivarius to return to its $100 value, you'll never see it happen in your lifetime so don't even bother.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    People seem to always think that the value of their favourite stuff (not just video games) will be returning to its 'normal' value in the near future. I can almost guarantee that there will be no return to late 90's values for your favourite Sega and Nintendo games. You might as well be waiting for a Stradivarius to return to its $100 value, you'll never see it happen in your lifetime so don't even bother.
    It may not return to the original value, no. With inflation alone a game from 1990 should be worth about double what it cost back then. But when I see any commodity surging in value like this, it suggests to me people are buying only because they think the value will continue to go up even more. That usually doesn't go on forever and when the nostalgia wanes (or if prices really get high, game companies might start making new copies to increase the supply) it will eventually crash.

But hey if I'm wrong then you guys with the big collections can retire to your own private islands while I'm still working

Game companies are starting to make new copies. As downloadable games wrapped in emulators running on modern systems, which are much cheaper and easier to acquire and requires a lot less fiddling with modern TVs (and less risk of your partner throwing it away because it looks ugly and takes up space). Don't forget that for the vast majority of people interested on playing these old games, this approach actually sounds better.

Just because they aren't making new copies the way the most diehard fans want doesn't mean they aren't doing it. And those most diehard fans are precisely the ones that are helping drive up the prices of those old copies. Especially with the obsession of getting only mint cartridge in box copies instead of just something that works, which implies they're in for the collecting, not just to play games (a loose cartridge with trashed label will still do if you just want to play, after all).

Grandmaster's Reckoning ESWAT Veteran Knuckle Duster's Avatar

The only reasonably priced old games are bootleg reproductions.

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

Prices are insane right now. I've also been noticing an increase in the stupid wata graded sealed up games with the astronomical prices turning up. Which probably means that there are now lots of rich idiots purchasing rare games as an investment. I saw a wata graded zombies ate my neighbors going for an insane amount of money the other day. There's such a ridiculous amount of money in retro games that I'm sure there is a lot of funny business going on to drive up prices. Anything to maximize profit.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I donít know where TrekkiesUnite was seeing Sonic R for @$45 several months ago, because the last time I checked (several months ago) most people were asking for more than $60. The Japanese import can still be had for under $40.
    Ebay back around January. Even at $60 though I wouldn't be talking about this. But what I'm noticing is extremely questionable sales. I highly doubt any sane person truly paid $200 or $175 for Sonic R. Especially when some of them are the same stock images from new sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Ball Gamer View Post
    Prices are insane right now. I've also been noticing an increase in the stupid wata graded sealed up games with the astronomical prices turning up. Which probably means that there are now lots of rich idiots purchasing rare games as an investment. I saw a wata graded zombies ate my neighbors going for an insane amount of money the other day. There's such a ridiculous amount of money in retro games that I'm sure there is a lot of funny business going on to drive up prices. Anything to maximize profit.
    Hint: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/...ld-for-100000/

Heritage Auctions is actively encouraging collectors to ramp up the prices as much as possible because that means more money for their business, and (quoting from the article):
    Jim Halperin, owner of Heritage Auctions
    (While Halperin sits on the advisory board for Wata Games, Kahn stressed that he had no knowledge or involvement about the grading process before it was completed.)
    It's all related :​O)

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

god, musha, popful mail & space adventure cobra really got out from under me with this shit - my fault, years back i only needed any of those loose and thought $100 was too high

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle Duster View Post
    The only reasonably priced old games are bootleg reproductions.
    100%

Market manipulation, as always. It's been going on for years. Wouldn't doubt these bastards gather together on some obscure internet forum and talk about which games they the want to manipulate based on what kind of buzz is circling around the Internet. Lots of times they keep up with big retro gaming channels and base their spikes on whatever games are talked about in the latest episodes. You'll see a dramatic price change substantiated by just a handful of random BINs. Last month the game sold for $40. This month, three people smashed a BIN for $250!!! Suuure they did. There's one asshat on eBay who is the same owner of most of the listings for Powerslave Saturn, and he makes sure that each listing looks like it's from a different seller. But ya know, he's just a regular dude, happens to have a bunch of copies of a hard to find game is all.

I'm sure the Sonic thing was probably decided in response to the movie, maybe some phony sales thrown in to stir the pot. People will scheme anything you can possibly imagine to make a buck. I think right now it's partially the stimulus money people have to burn, and manipulators scheming on how best to get that money. Sad thing is, some of us will pay them.

I will say though, Sonic R has never been particularly cheap. I've always seen it go anywhere from $70 to about $100 or so.

Are they forced to pay taxes on that? Iíve noticed a trend where used PC parts are now including taxes, over the stated BIN price on EBay.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Ebay back around January. Even at $60 though I wouldn't be talking about this. But what I'm noticing is extremely questionable sales. I highly doubt any sane person truly paid $200 or $175 for Sonic R. Especially when some of them are the same stock images from new sellers.
    Yeah, IĎve noticed that a lot lately. I was looking at prices for an RTX 2080 and I swear the same guy posted a BIN about a half dozen times, or at least it was the same picture.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Outrunner

If you buy it from yourself, taxes and ebay's cut are relatively miniscule if you plan on offloading the three or four you purchased for a fraction of the "new cost." Shit's a scam but people who keep buying that garbage are to blame.

Sonic R shouldn't even be worth $40. It ought to be a $5-15 binner.

Tell that to the people paying over $30 for All-Star Baseball 97, featuring Frank Thomas for the Saturn.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Remember the tale of the fool and his money
    For this would be sad, were it not so funny
    Resellers are price gougers, and villains at heart
    So forget all this nonsense and get a flash cart
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Thread Information