Quantcast

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Something fishy is going on with Retro Game Sales...

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    I'm surprised none of you guys have talked about the recent news with Sony and the cmos bomb situation which they're getting a lot of blowback on.
    Had to look this up. I knew they would have something like this, I'm surprised it's taken this long to uncover.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Oddly if you remove the CMOS from PS5, PS4 physical games still work. PS5 games were a mixed bag.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Had to look this up. I knew they would have something like this, I'm surprised it's taken this long to uncover.
    Somebody disconnected the battery to discover it. The battery could probably last 20 years, with the occasional charge. My GBA SP battery could go a year without a charge, after nearly 18 years.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

In PS4 they are meant to last 8-10.

Well, thatís a no Bueno!
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Iíve been saying for years now. Once these consoles went online, the ownership of physical copies became questionable. My copy of Resistance 3 wouldnít install on my Fat PS3, and Iíve yet to try it on the slim. Thereís also talk about Sony having removed patches for many PS3 games and recently putting some back after the backlash from gamers. I really need to get about putting any of my PS3 games that havenít been installed onto my PS3 consoles, before Sony really shuts down support for it. I havenít even begun to think about what it means for the PS4, with that battery issue.
    Thread at PSNProfiles, games are being tested for patch availability: https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/...ome-ps3-games/

Master of Shinobi

Stuff like this is why my interest has been waning in modern consoles (and tech in general), it's like with each new generation there are more restrictions on what you can do with hardware and content that you've already purchased. You pay $60, $70 or even more for a game plus DLC and you get the privilege of using it until the company decides otherwise.

For something like this one solution could be to solder in a second battery in parallel and replace them at different intervals.

Itís not like youíll need to do it soon, as long as itís connected to the PS Network. Youíll just need to replace it 8 to 10 years from the day it was built, and while online is still a service for the console.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Stuff like this is why my interest has been waning in modern consoles (and tech in general), it's like with each new generation there are more restrictions on what you can do with hardware and content that you've already purchased. You pay $60, $70 or even more for a game plus DLC and you get the privilege of using it until the company decides otherwise.

For something like this one solution could be to solder in a second battery in parallel and replace them at different intervals.
    I'm inclined to agree wholly, and it is why I won't buy a new console either. I am not interested in the Switch or any of the newer Sony/MS stuff where it is all locked down in an attempt to get you to keep buying the same games you've already purchased for new hardware. Digital ownership is even going out the window in favor of

As far as criticism of scalpers go, I view it as supply and demand combined with individuals who will pay outrageous prices for any slightly good or slightly rare game. I'm convinced individuals on eBay are buying and immediately relisting for higher values, and then those games sell. These folks aren't buying up COVID masks or hoarding food. Clearly video game demand is outpacing the zero production model that currently exists, and everything retro has seen outrageous spikes for even the million sellers over the last year during the pandemic. Just look at the price of even million seller games online like Pokemon or Mario Kart Double Dash going for over $100 each.

You don't like game prices, don't buy expensive games. I've moved onto cheaper consoles and sales. Right now, the Nintendo DS, 3DS, Wii and WiiU have a significant number of inexpensive games both in the digital stores and physical media online. The demand is not there yet. Why spend $100 on one game when you can get a console and multiple games for a different system? All things are equal as far as entertainment goes, I think. Then wait for re-releases. Not every retro game is a must-play at this very moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I'm inclined to agree wholly, and it is why I won't buy a new console either.
    After hearing about this mess with the cmob bomb issue, I've been deciding not to buy a PS5. I know that an all digital future is eventually coming but I'll be damned if I won't fight back on it tooth and nail. The Switch honestly is a really good console baloo. Maybe give it a chance if you find something new you'd like to try out. If you do tho, Don't get a Switch Lite.
    05/05/15

Switch has its own issue. Not talking Joycon drift. Once the battery can no longer hold a charge at all it won't power on even if plugged in. It's just a brick. Why I want a docked-only Switch.

Then Xbox has its own problem.

The exclusives are the only thing keeping me on consoles. PCs just do everything better and unless GOG or Epic closes down, Iím not worried about my digital games. Iíll probably be dead by the time STEAM somehow ceases to exist, though I do wonder how my Blizzard will keep Battlenet going.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    You don't like game prices, don't buy expensive games. I've moved onto cheaper consoles and sales. Right now, the Nintendo DS, 3DS, Wii and WiiU have a significant number of inexpensive games both in the digital stores and physical media online. The demand is not there yet. Why spend $100 on one game when you can get a console and multiple games for a different system? All things are equal as far as entertainment goes, I think. Then wait for re-releases. Not every retro game is a must-play at this very moment.
    I'm with you, I'm still having fun with those four consoles too. I wonder how the 3DS and Wii U will hold up long term. The Wii U is already showing signs of decline with Mario Maker no longer allowing the uploading of new courses and Netflix support ending this summer. If the servers go down you'll need CFW to install a game with updates. I'm also disappointed the Wii U never got a region free update, I bought a Japanese unit to play import games only to find there's no option to set the language to English!

The 3DS has a lot of the same restrictions except with CFW you can do just about anything on it so it doesn't matter what Nintendo does at this point. Even StreetPass can keep going forever.

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    After hearing about this mess with the cmob bomb issue, I've been deciding not to buy a PS5. I know that an all digital future is eventually coming but I'll be damned if I won't fight back on it tooth and nail. The Switch honestly is a really good console baloo. Maybe give it a chance if you find something new you'd like to try out. If you do tho, Don't get a Switch Lite.
    The Switch is a great console except that a large percentage of the first party games are ports of titles I already bought years ago. I hope when the Switch Pro comes out it launches with a bunch of brand new games. I would rather have that than 4K output.

Looking at my Amazon purchase history. I looked at 2011 when I bought a bunch of boxed Genesis games. Most under $10. The same year I bought a sealed copy of Mega Man 64 for $18. All those games now cost well over $100 and MM64 is $800 on the lower end. That year someone gave me Tron Bonne & MML2 on PS1. Still have them. Some of those Genesis games were $6 then...with a case. It was still fun then to buy old games either out in the wild or online.

It looks like I better play Mario Maker on Wii U soon, before the ability to play other people courses becomes a thing of the past.

Thread Information