Quantcast

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Something fishy is going on with Retro Game Sales...

Master of Shinobi

I still want to re-buy the Megadrive games I used to have as a kid, but some of them like X-men and Spiderman are ridiculously expensive now.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    If you buy it from yourself, taxes and ebay's cut are relatively miniscule if you plan on offloading the three or four you purchased for a fraction of the "new cost." Shit's a scam but people who keep buying that garbage are to blame.

Sonic R shouldn't even be worth $40. It ought to be a $5-15 binner.
    People paying hundreds of dollars for an English region of a cheap Japanese game with no gaijin protection in this day and age aren't paying for a game. It's strictly a collectible and/or investment.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    Remember the tale of the fool and his money
    For this would be sad, were it not so funny
    Resellers are price gougers, and villains at heart
    So forget all this nonsense and get a flash cart

A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

I don't think there's a Saturn game that isn't just a collectible at this point. PDS maybe, but who wants to play one game THAT bad? I've thought about pulling the trigger on it for years, and never do. The price goes up about $50 per year.

I used to think it was a bubble too, but there has been just a continual, gradual spike in prices over the last 10 years that has made buying and playing actual retro games on original hardware near impossible. Really, the only thing worth getting now are the mini consoles or the original consoles and flash carts, or modded systems to play the games at. Because the original games are going for mad money for no reason. I sold all of my stuff between 2013-2016 thinking that was the peak of pricing, but boy was I wrong. It just continues to rise. It's the fact that every Youtuber is interested in retro games, and people aren't getting rid of them. Classic video gaming isn't a niche hobby anymore like when we were all in it pre-2009.

What is still highly undervalued surprisingly for the most part are the PC ports of a lot of these games from the same time. Sonic R for the PC is a superior game, and far easier to play on any Windows 10 or Linux system running WINE. You can get it for $10, or if you hunt at Goodwill long enough you'll find a copy very easily because it was a shovelware title.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post
    I don't think there's a Saturn game that isn't just a collectible at this point. PDS maybe, but who wants to play one game THAT bad? I've thought about pulling the trigger on it for years, and never do. The price goes up about $50 per year.
    Many of the Japanese first party games are still pretty cheap and don't require knowledge of the language.

Unless things changed drastically in the past few years since I stopped paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    I get the angle with supply and demand and the things are getting old, but no, this has been going on for a long time now. It's systematic. People are deliberately raising the prices up, and sadly, I seriously doubt they will ever go down.
    I always feel like supply and demand is a cop out excuse on why some games are expensive.

Either way, we're in the middle of this pandemic. People are going extreme lengths to pay for games. Since the OP was talking Saturn stuff, Saturn isn't easy to get into. Sonic R is a really late release, though the idea of manipulation wouldn't surprise me. No different than a Turbografx or Sega CD or any hard to find system and their library.

If we're talking the last ten years, it's harder to get into buying older games. I get hesitant on buying anything Nintendo related because of the prices unless it's yard sales or thrift sales. Even if a number of their games are very good, they are not worth the prices on eBay or any local used game store.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sull56ivan2010 View Post
    I get hesitant on buying anything Nintendo related because of the prices unless it's yard sales or thrift sales. Even if a number of their games are very good, they are not worth the prices on eBay or any local used game store.
    Too true. Always wanted to get into SNES collecting but restrain myself because it would cost a fortune to get all the games I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    What is still highly undervalued surprisingly for the most part are the PC ports of a lot of these games from the same time.
    Yeah I've been getting into PC games lately, mostly big box releases, but even those are starting to climb in prices.

WCPO Agent

Yeah it's not supply and demand when the prices are rising this quickly on Saturn titles in the year 2020.

But here's why I don't think games will have the same longevity as comic books or other products, games are way more fragile than paper or other non-electronic items. The cartridge or disc will rot with time, the consoles will fail (especially those with optical drives) and finally the CRT televisions they were made to be played on haven't been produced in over a decade. So you have three potential points of failure, all of which are going to get worse in the next 10-20 years. It will be like on South Park when Cartman goes to the future and finds out he can't connect his Nintendo Wii to the TV.

I get that most collectors aren't even playing the games, but are they willing to spend money on games that can't be played at all, at least not without a significant cost to restore old hardware? There's always going to be some listings that go for a high price if that copy is rare or has some historical significance but for games that were mass produced I think they will level off and decline.

And yes I'm aware you can buy an FPGA based system or replace the optical drive with an SD card on some consoles, but once people accept using non-original hardware I can't see them paying a premium for the original game.

Quote Originally Posted by sull56ivan2010 View Post
    I always feel like supply and demand is a cop out excuse on why some games are expensive.
    The North American Sega Saturn is a prime example of supply and demand. The North American release of Panzer Dragoon Saga is uber expensive, because there were only about 45,000 copies released, while the Japanese version can be had for a very reasonable price. The same for titles like Dragon Force and Magic Knigh Rayearth.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

I bought Phalanx on SNES about 9 years ago for $4. I saw it today priced at $70. Why? Not that good of a game.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    I bought Phalanx on SNES about 9 years ago for $4. I saw it today priced at $70. Why? Not that good of a game.
    I think now is the time to sell it. I can't believe that insane price.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    Phalanx is worth $70 just for that cover artwork alone. It's modern art.

I mean I know maybe a dozen SNES games tops and I never ever played Phalanx, but I can instantly picture its cover artwork if you mention the game.

Dude with a banjo?

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    Too true. Always wanted to get into SNES collecting but restrain myself because it would cost a fortune to get all the games I want.

Yeah I've been getting into PC games lately, mostly big box releases, but even those are starting to climb in prices.
    Case in point:

Sonic R for PC - $6. For Saturn $100
    Panzer Dragoon for PC - $30. For Saturn $100
    House of the Dead PC - $30. For Saturn $150. EDIT: Nope....$400.
    Virtual On for PC - $25. For Saturn - $100.
    Last edited by Baloo; 05-17-2020 at 03:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Thread Information