Quantcast

Thread: GG Sonic 1: 2 different versions?

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Sonic GG Sonic 1: 2 different versions?

Hey I just noticed that GG Sonic 1 ROM has 2 versions: V1.0, and V1.1.

https://romsmania.cc/roms/game-gear

Sonic Retro mentions both versions listed at bottom of the page, but doesn't explain the differences.
    http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(8-bit)

At a quick glance, I don't see what's different. Title screen is same and starting the game seems the same.

Does anyone know why there are these 2 versions of the game?

Master of Shinobi

Probably a minor bug fix. However, I downloaded two ROMs, one listed as the Japanese and one listed as the Rev1 World release. While I have no idea about any code changes, there is obvious text at the beginning of the Japanese ROM that is missing from the World ROM: "Ăs.Developed By (C) 1991 Ancient - S„Hayashi"

Depending on release order, perhaps that text either wasn't supposed to be there and was removed, or the opposite.

^Ah thanks, I missed that obvious difference then, probably because I'm so used to seeing the text there, that it didn't really stand out to me, when I saw it. And so then also didn't really notice the lack of it, in the other version.

Well then maybe that is actually the only one difference in the 2 versions.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    Hey I just noticed that GG Sonic 1 ROM has 2 versions: V1.0, and V1.1.

https://romsmania.cc/roms/game-gear

Sonic Retro mentions both versions listed at bottom of the page, but doesn't explain the differences.
    http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(8-bit)

At a quick glance, I don't see what's different. Title screen is same and starting the game seems the same.

Does anyone know why there are these 2 versions of the game?
    Do a binary compare and see how much was changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    Probably a minor bug fix. However, I downloaded two ROMs, one listed as the Japanese and one listed as the Rev1 World release. While I have no idea about any code changes, there is obvious text at the beginning of the Japanese ROM that is missing from the World ROM: "Ăs.Developed By (C) 1991 Ancient - S„Hayashi"

Depending on release order, perhaps that text either wasn't supposed to be there and was removed, or the opposite.
    ^Actually both ROMs have the same title screen etc. which is what I thought you meant. So I'm not sure where you're seeing the text difference, unless you mean that you're somehow looking at the actual code of each ROM?

At any rate, my emulator finds cover art for its ROMs and this indicates that version 1 was the JP version, and version 2 is just the western / global release.

I don't know if there's any difference though, besides the small bit of text that Silanda reported finding...

My emulator did see them as two different regions, so they're somehow distinguished, although Game Gear was region-free so I'm still not sure what the point was, lol.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    ^Actually both ROMs have the same title screen etc. which is what I thought you meant. So I'm not sure where you're seeing the text difference, unless you mean that you're somehow looking at the actual code of each ROM?.
    Yeah, I opened the ROM with a Hex editor. The text is near the beginning of the ROM (or not).

Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    Yeah, I opened the ROM with a Hex editor. The text is near the beginning of the ROM (or not).
    Cool, I'm basically assuming that Sega wanted to mark each version, even though the Game Gear was region free.

I don't see much of a practical reason for doing so, but maybe it was something with cultural pride in their own country, or something like that.

I actually didn't play through the JP version yet -- I just played thru the global release version -- but it would be a fun surprise if there's some odd Japanese text that pops up somewhere in the JP game. But AFAIK there seems no difference in the content of both versions... as I believe the JP original Sonic games used English text as we are used to seeing in the Sonic games...

Thread Information