Quantcast

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Mad Stalker coming on cart by Columbus Circle (?)

Super Sexy Sega Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

Really fun game with a kick ass soundtrack. As far as single player beat em ups go this would rank pretty high. I would consider it a poor man's Ninja Warriors Again. Doesn't have the character diversity, presentation or graphics to compete.
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

I got my copy in the mail, but I don't think I'm gonna play it since it apparently will damage the system. I'll play the ROM on my flashcart whenever it's dumped.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Can anybody actually take a pic of the board? Otherwise we'll keep going by what they did back with Gley Lancer (and even with that nobody seems to make it clear whether the components were problematic or just the board thickness). I'm seeing way too much hearsay yet little actual concrete information, the other day somebody asked me what was going on and I couldn't give a proper answer because I can't tell.

I'm sorry, but the cart seems to be either glued or have some inside screw mechanism holding it together (Famicom carts have that, I think), so I can't open it without risking to damage the cart (ironic, isn't it?). Looking at the bottom where the pins connect, I see it's quite a bit thicker than official carts though, which is enough of a red flag already.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker SBlaise84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    I got my copy in the mail, but I don't think I'm gonna play it since it apparently will damage the system. I'll play the ROM on my flashcart whenever it's dumped.
    Look around online, it's been dumped.

So I've been playing this on my Megadrive and I have to say I'm a little disappointed.

It's cool that we get parallax scrolling, unlike the PCE version, but on the other hand, the PCE version lets you pick between three different characters whereas here, you're stuck with just one.

Additionally, the PCE version does feature some (sparse) background animations. On the Megadrive version, outside of the airbattle on the spaceship you don't really see any animations in the backgrounds.

As for the game itself, I thought it was okay, but nothing spectatular. It plays like an odd mix of a beat'em up and a fighting game which has its pros and cons. On one hand it makes the boss fights more interesting, but on the other it can be a chore to pull a trick that could have easily been assigned to a button.

I also found the hit detection very wonky, especially with the first boss who can keep damaging you while you're still stuck in a damage animation.

Overall, I'm glad that I own this game, but if it had launched back in the day, I don't think we'd be proclaiming it as a hidden gem.
    Please check out my YouTube channel

I'm not crazy about the colours. Looking forward to seeing what Pyron can do with the ROM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by otobo View Post
    I'm not crazy about the colours. Looking forward to seeing what Pyron can do with the ROM.
    From what I saw, the backgrounds are limited to 16 colors. And 8 of those colors are fixed (for explosions, gun projectile, damage/smoke, etc). So definitely a challenge.

Hm, that sounds almost like Midnight Resistance all over again!

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by stika View Post
    So I've been playing this on my Megadrive and I have to say I'm a little disappointed.

It's cool that we get parallax scrolling, unlike the PCE version, but on the other hand, the PCE version lets you pick between three different characters whereas here, you're stuck with just one.

Additionally, the PCE version does feature some (sparse) background animations. On the Megadrive version, outside of the airbattle on the spaceship you don't really see any animations in the backgrounds.

As for the game itself, I thought it was okay, but nothing spectatular. It plays like an odd mix of a beat'em up and a fighting game which has its pros and cons. On one hand it makes the boss fights more interesting, but on the other it can be a chore to pull a trick that could have easily been assigned to a button.

I also found the hit detection very wonky, especially with the first boss who can keep damaging you while you're still stuck in a damage animation.

Overall, I'm glad that I own this game, but if it had launched back in the day, I don't think we'd be proclaiming it as a hidden gem.

I got very hyped about this one but after playing the game for a while I have to say I pretty much agree with everything you said.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    From what I saw, the backgrounds are limited to 16 colors. And 8 of those colors are fixed (for explosions, gun projectile, damage/smoke, etc). So definitely a challenge.
    Many Sega Master System game backgrounds are 12 color.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher nihilblack's Avatar

So another lazy port.

I read from the developers, this version of the game was made during the same time that was developed for the X68000. It was planned to be released even before than the x86000 version and thats why they don't fixed the title of the game.

It's not a "lazy port" cause it looks, plays and sounds accurate to the x68k version. The later versions has some differences. The PC Engine includes animated cutscenes and the option to choose another 2 mechas for the main game. In the Mega Drive version, like the x68000 version, those mechas are enemies in the main game and playable in the VS mode.
    Last edited by LinkueiBR; 10-25-2020 at 09:08 PM.
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Family Brick's Avatar

I've had a great time with this game it and consider it a must play. I used to play the PC-E version once upon a time and definitely didn't connect with that as I have with this.

Being a single plane, high octane brawler it's a product of its time and doesn't really push things in the graphics department...but extra layers of parallax or animation frames wouldn't have served the gameplay better or improved responsiveness. Maybe it could Indeed be given a colour enhancement treatment..but the list of games deserving of that attention is pretty big. I certainly wouldn't mark it down for its sometimes muted visual aesthetic - it can be a frantic and busy time with several large fast opponents attacking you at once at points; the last thing you want is ultra busy popping backgrounds behind the action.

I personally really appreciate the 'early gen' vibe with its lower resolution and emphasis on foreground sprites; it isn't trying to Set The 68000 Heart On Fire or compete directly with other fighting games. And its soundtrack is quite frankly, blistering.

I'm summary, it's great. An idiosyncratic gem, even. Maybe I'll find more flaws in it in new sessions but it seems in check from my angle anyway.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Family Brick View Post
    I've had a great time with this game it and consider it a must play. I used to play the PC-E version once upon a time and definitely didn't connect with that as I have with this.
    So less colors, only one playable mech, a little slow down here and there, and the percussion channel constantly cutting out connected with you?

Thread Information