Quantcast

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Late 90s HDTVs

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Then that seems like something they didn't want you to see. The TV probably interlaces the 480p signal.

If I wasn't in elementary school in the late 90s and actually knew about HDTVs, I wouldn't want anything to do with interlaced HD. Progressive scan HD would've been so much more impressive, at the time.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    Then that seems like something they didn't want you to see. The TV probably interlaces the 480p signal.

If I wasn't in elementary school in the late 90s and actually knew about HDTVs, I wouldn't want anything to do with interlaced HD. Progressive scan HD would've been so much more impressive, at the time.
    My man, you know itís always been about progressive scan.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Just so we're on the same page, you're debunking how Blades is saying HD CRTs will convert 240p to 480i, which is the same as a LCD or Plasma?
    Convert? You mean interpret. And yes. Since he didn't even hedge his statement, I only need one example to prove him wrong. But, apparently my personal experiences (and tests) with my own and friends/family, aren't 'references'.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Lotta words. No references.
    Apparently too many for you? I have personal experience that counters your statement. Where's your references that every HD CRT ever made treats all 240p as 480i?

But, apparently my personal experiences (and tests) with my own and friends/family, aren't 'references'.
    Nope, because you have no idea what youíre talking about.

Where's your references that every HD CRT ever made treats all 240p as 480i?

Think what you like, I really donít give a damn. I just told everyone the truth, you donít have to accept it. By all means, buy all the HD CRTs in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    Convert? You mean interpret. And yes. Since he didn't even hedge his statement, I only need one example to prove him wrong. But, apparently my personal experiences (and tests) with my own and friends/family, aren't 'references'.

Apparently too many for you? I have personal experience that counters your statement. Where's your references that every HD CRT ever made treats all 240p as 480i?
    Well I do gotta be honest, it does seem pretty crazy for HD CRTs to be displaying 240p natively. But I've never owned a HD CRT, so not sure how different they are to the 480i ones we all grew up with.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Well I do gotta be honest, it does seem pretty crazy for HD CRTs to be displaying 240p natively. But I've never owned a HD CRT, so not sure how different they are to the 480i ones we all grew up with.
    I'm not saying it displays 240p natively (as in the beem traces 240 lines, and skips the rest). I'm saying it doesn't interpret 240p as 480i. I'm talking about the signal, not the output.

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    I'm not saying it displays 240p natively (as in the beem traces 240 lines, and skips the rest). I'm saying it doesn't interpret 240p as 480i. I'm talking about the signal, not the output.
    I did some research, is this post about the same as what you're saying?

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/crt-t...s-best.935941/

The HD CRT will most likely do one of two things; treat the signal of 240p as 480i and interpolate that to 480p (no scanlines), or correctly recognize the 240p and simple scanline double the output as 480p (no interpolation, block pixels like raw emulation without filters).
    That does sound pretty good, the 240p signal is doubled to 480p which is a lot better than what a LCD or Plasma does.

On the subject of Sony, there was (and probably still is) some "secret" sector that Sony sold products to that I could never find out about. I was working for Sony in 2001 when I found out about this set of CE products that were even less known than their audio production gear, at least in terms of being able to find anything about them in a catalog or magazine. I only found out because there was a separate phone number that went to some special department for installation. These were CE products but did not use the CE departments. There was (at least) some guy who needed help to install a $30,000 TV he had bought. In fact, Sony seemed to have separate (and undocumented) "rich people departments" and not something you could find on Sony's website or even their Intranet. They had one for VAIO also, where I had talked to a (then) current NHL goalie set up his new computer. He said the wait was too long on the number he was supposed to call.

Sadly I did not save any of my notes from back then.
    Sega Genesis Master Set Collector
    https://vgcollect.com/Tripredacus/gen

Quote Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
    On the subject of Sony, there was (and probably still is) some "secret" sector that Sony sold products to that I could never find out about. I was working for Sony in 2001 when I found out about this set of CE products that were even less known than their audio production gear, at least in terms of being able to find anything about them in a catalog or magazine. I only found out because there was a separate phone number that went to some special department for installation. These were CE products but did not use the CE departments. There was (at least) some guy who needed help to install a $30,000 TV he had bought. In fact, Sony seemed to have separate (and undocumented) "rich people departments" and not something you could find on Sony's website or even their Intranet. They had one for VAIO also, where I had talked to a (then) current NHL goalie set up his new computer. He said the wait was too long on the number he was supposed to call.

Oh yes this makes sense, its likely the same as consumer HD cameras before the mid-2000s. They weren't available on websites or store shelves, they were part of companies' secret products.

So I am planning to look for 1998 HDTVs, although I don't have much motivation as I know its gonna be hard to find models and especially high-res pictures.

That's nuts.

So I am planning to look for 1998 HDTVs, although I don't have much motivation as I know its gonna be hard to find models and especially high-res pictures.
    It is not only that, a lot of things that were released to the regular retail market can be sometimes hard to find. Often I will find an item at thrift or in an old magazine that simply does not exist on the searchable internet (google or what-have-you). The fact that there are commercial and special interest products (rich people stuff) is on top of that. You'll be digging in industry magazines for the most part, perhaps you can find annual reports from companies that might mention specifics. Don't forget to look in archive.org, they have more than just websites on there.
    Sega Genesis Master Set Collector
    https://vgcollect.com/Tripredacus/gen

It is not only that, a lot of things that were released to the regular retail market can be sometimes hard to find. Often I will find an item at thrift or in an old magazine that simply does not exist on the searchable internet (google or what-have-you). The fact that there are commercial and special interest products (rich people stuff) is on top of that. You'll be digging in industry magazines for the most part, perhaps you can find annual reports from companies that might mention specifics. Don't forget to look in archive.org, they have more than just websites on there.
    Looking on archive.org isn't as easy as you'd expect. Like Pioneer was one of the early pioneers(no comment) of HDTVs. You can't go to the late 90s archives of their website, because its keeps redirecting you for some dumb reason.

Anyways, right at this moment I will start looking for 1998 HDTVs.

Here is the Toshiba 65H80. This came out in September 1998, was 1080i(could do 480p), and 65".

You would expect this to be expensive, but it was only $6000. So whats the catch? This thing weighs 352 lbs. So its not even a 4-person job to move this thing around, you need a forklift.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Is it DLP?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Thread Information