Quantcast

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Making of Super Castlevania IV and Castlevania Bloodlines/The New Generation.

I just remembered one area where Dracula X is better than Rondo, the clock tower. It looks hideous in Rondo, as in, the original Castlevania looked better. Looks fine in Dracula X

Quote Originally Posted by Lync View Post
    Also, when was it permitted to openly sell reproductions!?
    Dude, they're even being graded.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    Dracula X starts with a bang, with an insanely cool looking intro section with transparent wobbly flames that form a third background layer. Game feels a little stiff compared to rondo but nothing too bad. The level is kinda basic, and has some mildly annoying medusa heads (talk about starting on the wrong foot there ), but it makes a good first impression.

The problem happens after that first stage, where everything gets really uninspired. The stages look pretty but there's nothing interesting going. I know you wanted to know how the game stacks on its own but the comparison with Rondo really gets the point across.

Rondo starts with richter riding a horse pulled cart and being attacked by death who mocks you after toying with you a little. Then you reach the town on fire (like the SNES game, but not as pretty). In the SNES game, the whole stage is the same pretty much, just a giant fire in the background that turns blue for the boss fight.

In Rondo you first see the town burning far away, then you reach the town and skeletons jump at you out of the buildings through the windows, then can find an underground area where you are attacked by a crazy plant monster (which leads you to an alternate level) or you go out into a park area of sorts where you see the town on fire again but now from a closer perspective and are attacked by giant rock monsters, ending with a fight against a dragon (rather than panther or something like in Dracula X).

Same happens with other stages, like the falling bridge which in Dracula X is just... a falling bridge, whereas in Rondo it leads you to Charon and an alternate level if you fall. The battle against Death is also insanely cool in Rondo at the top of the ghost ship, whereas the battle atop the clock tower in Dracula X is... ok?

There's no comparison, Rondo is way better. If you end up liking Dracula X more than Rondo I dunno what to tell you. While game design is subjective, this is a pretty clear cut one.
    Agreed,

Dracula X has alot of problems, but of they like reclying the art/bgs in some places, simple segments its one of the limitations from a cartigde game.
    Just on stage 1 of Rondo you had alot of unique tilesets and monsters thats you could almost make an entire game using this artwork.

Also i think thats they uses alot of rom memory to make the soundtrack thats sounds amazing, one of the best on the system, you really felt hearing a cd game sometimes.

And in the end... to be fair, even Konami never could achieve the same level of quality of rondo in other game in Castlevania Franchise, its an special game.
    Dracula X never had a chance...
    Last edited by Pyron; 05-30-2020 at 11:25 AM.

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Richter is sluggish and less responsive
    No no no, this can't be true. I've literally just checked them side by side and both exhibit some kind of an input lag on the original hardware. Nothing deal breaking, they are both playable, but the controls feel and responsiveness are 1:1 exactly same between both games. I kind of agree about cheap level design in Dracula X, but certainly not about the controls.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Orchid87 View Post
    No no no, this can't be true. I've literally just checked them side by side and both exhibit some kind of an input lag on the original hardware. Nothing deal breaking, they are both playable, but the controls feel and responsiveness are 1:1 exactly same between both games. I kind of agree about cheap level design in Dracula X, but certainly not about the controls.
    They're not exact 1:1. Rondo can attack slightly faster (if the timing is right). I've played a lot of both, and it's there.. it's just subtle IMO. Part of it is probably psychological; they pretty much scroll/walk the same distance over time, but the snes dracula-x animates faster.. so it feels like he's spinning in place, or covering less ground based on what his animation indicates.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    I just remembered one area where Dracula X is better than Rondo, the clock tower. It looks hideous in Rondo, as in, the original Castlevania looked better. Looks fine in Dracula X
    Well to be honest, Rondo art design isn't consistent. Some parts look great, some parts are minimal (for no reason.. it's a CD game) - both in tile work and color usage. But yeah the clock tower is just a few screens (seeing the gears).

I played through Bloodlines again, yesterday, and I can't figure out why it's an 8meg game. The animations, at best, are only average (even if awkward like it's missing frames). Color aside, there's no detail in this game. Large parts of solid color. The most detail you'll ever seen in a stage, is the very first opening area of the game. This game definitely screams 4meg.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Dude, they're even being graded.
    That is mind-boggling.

I feel like the people buying graded games are suckers.

But buying graded reproductions? That is straight crazy.

There has to be just a bunch of yuppie prick bastards somewhere out in California looking to make video games the new-age stamp collecting.

For what it's worth, I bought a graded Pokemon card once. I couldn't seem to buy it any other way, but as soon as I got it I cracked the plastic open with some pliers (and scuffed the edge of the card, ouch!) just so that I could place it and complete my childhood binder of cards.

And without totally derailing this, I love talking and reading about people's thoughts on Castlevania. I personally stopped with the Game Boy Advance games and thought all three were great also.

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    They're not exact 1:1. Rondo can attack slightly faster (if the timing is right). I've played a lot of both, and it's there.. it's just subtle IMO. Part of it is probably psychological; they pretty much scroll/walk the same distance over time, but the snes dracula-x animates faster.. so it feels like he's spinning in place, or covering less ground based on what his animation indicates.
    Ah, that's might be it. I've only completed each one once some time ago and only did a quick comparison now. Probably should spend more time with them to notice the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Lync View Post
    And without totally derailing this, I love talking and reading about people's thoughts on Castlevania. I personally stopped with the Game Boy Advance games and thought all three were great also.
    So, what's everyones opinion on Akumajo Dracula X68000? I think it's great, especially if you fairly treat it as a 1993 X68000 game, not a 2001 PS1 title. FM soundtrack is amazing. The game's got it's own flavor as a take one the original Simon Belmont adventure, that's for sure. I'd surely get the original media if I weren't so cautious about floppies shelf life.

Thread Information