Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Making of Super Castlevania IV and Castlevania Bloodlines/The New Generation.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

YouTube The Making of Super Castlevania IV and Castlevania Bloodlines/The New Generation.

Yet another superb quality upload from Strafefox. This one explores the history, design and development that went into Konami's two 16-bit outings in their classic franchise, Castlevania. Enjoy!

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Yet another superb quality upload from Strafefox. This one explores the history, design and development that went into Konami's two 16-bit outings in their classic franchise, Castlevania. Enjoy!

There were other 16-bit Castlevania outings as well
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Well yes I know, but these two are the ones that most people think about from that era.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

The animation, colors, and general art/design in Bloodlines is just sooo disappointing it makes me cringe. Some of the colors choices are straight up NES (no exaggeration). The animation on some of the characters is just goofy. A lot of detail in the levels is just sparse. I couldn't believe how amateur it felt BITD.. I was pissed. Still pissed to this day haha. Especially considering how incredible Rocket Knight Adventures looked! As well as some other Konami Genesis titles.

Someone really needs to do a complete graphic hack overhaul of Bloodlines.

Hero of Algol

About Bloodlines criticism I'd say this:
    - Shading on most of the levels is quite poor (the falling skeleton blocks, for an example, Jesus Christ...);
    - Color choices are rather idiotic and, as you said, seem to have been picked from a even more limited palette;
    - Characters and enemies animations are mediocre at best;
    - There's a general lack of details/texturing in most of the tiles;
    - Overall presentation really sucks: font, transition to boss battles, beginning/end of stages, etc.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

There were basically only two designers on Bloodlines:

Teisaku Seki, main designer - relatively new employee who had only worked on a few NES games up to that point
    Shinichiro Shimamura, designer - new employee working on his first game

There were also two other assistants credited as 'special design', but they were working on other games at the time.

In contrast, TMNT: Tournament Fighters (released around the same time as Bloodlines) had seven dedicated designers. That included Nobuya Nakazato (director and lead designer of Rocket Knight Adventures) and also Shiori Satoh (assistant designer on Rocket Knight Adventures).

So, TMNT got all the attention while Castlevania development was left with few resources.

That matches exactly what has been said about Castlevania III development:

During the Famicom era at Konami, the overseas sales for Turtles was Konamiís highest seller, and because of that, the Turtles development team was prioritized above everything else. The Castlevania team (and others like it which didnít make a lot of money) had to survive on the scraps. There was a possibility for further Castlevania sequels on the Famicom, but it got pushed out by the popularity of Ninja Turtles.
    http://shmuplations.com/castlevania/

At least, Bloodlines is a better game than Genesis TMNT Tournament fighters.

I like Super Castlevania IV for it's moody atmosphere. Not a fan of gothic anime style that the later installments adopted.
    Last edited by Orchid87; 05-27-2020 at 03:44 AM.

Despite bloodlines feeling like a low resource game I still prefer it over 4, it didn't look stellar, it underused the sounchip, but as a game itself it was pretty fun, way better than the low effort port/remix of TMNT and Sunset Riders.
    Still, Rocket Knight Adventure will always be the most "complete" MD Konami game.
    Last edited by Vludi; 05-27-2020 at 07:40 AM.

Hero of Algol

Super Castlevania IV is overrated; it obviously has better production values but the gameplay sucks; you could replace the main character by a snail and it would fit perfectly with the game's pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Vludi View Post
    Still, Rocket Knight Adventure will always be the most "complete" MD Konami game.
    Why not Hard Corps?

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Super Castlevania IV is overrated; it obviously has better production values but the gameplay sucks; you could replace the main character by a snail and it would fit perfectly with the game's pace.
    Castlevania was never a fast to begin with. Super Castlevania IV is easily the best 16-bit Castlevania game.

Quote Originally Posted by Orchid87 View Post
    Why not Hard Corps?
    Forgot about it lol, but yeah those two are the best Konami efforts on MD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orchid87 View Post
    Castlevania was never a fast to begin with. Super Castlevania IV is easily the best 16-bit Castlevania game
    Here we go again... the ones that plays closer to CV1 is bloodlines though, not 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Vludi View Post
    the ones that plays closer to CV1 is bloodlines though, not 4.
    Does that make it a better game though? CV1 is not exactly the golden standard of action platformers and all the improvements CV4 brought to the table are welcome.
    I'm trying to be objective. Genesis has got a better Contra game, SNES has got a better CV game.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Super Castlevania IV's gameplay sucks?! That's literally the first time I think I've seen somebody say that. Your problem is the speed of the game? It perfectly suits the atmosphere and genre. It's not meant to be a fast paced platform game. It's methodical and requires the player to take their time. It's not meant to be played like a Sonic game or Contra ffs.

Hero of Algol

The game sucks, sorry to say that. And I'm not alone, there's a few other guys (maybe not active anymore) in the forum with the same opinion.
    Speed is not the only problem, no. The controls are awful, clumsy to the max. I also think there's a certain lag to them, probably a few frames at least in some of the screens.
    Pacing is also an issue. There are many, many problems in my view.

I know there's this general consensus, especially among youtubers nowadays, that this one of the best games ever but to be very honest it's a rather mediocre game with severe issues IMO.
    The X68000's Castlevania is also a very mediocre game just to put things in perspective here.
    Bloodlines is good but far from great and severely flawed. Artwork is iffy at best and shitty in many aspects.

I think Rondo of Blood is leagues better than all those three and truly a great game. PS1's Symphony of the Night is great too but art-wise I still prefer Rondo of Blood.

Also from that shmuplations page:
    Akamatsuís sequels to Castlevania sold poorly, so he was demoted to working in one of Konamiís game centers, and then he quit. According to Akamatsu, Konami placed profits above all else, and developers who werenít creating games that made lots of money were all eventually axed one-by-one. A number of them went on to do great work at Square Enix.
    Konami screwing over employees is a time honored tradition.

Between that and the quote from earlier, I think we can echo the sentiments from this post at least:
    https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...l=1#post861237
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleste View Post
    So yeah... A big respect for Nobuya Nakazato, Michiru Yamane and other individuals that worked on these gems, but not so much for the corporate side of the company which I think you can feel, they weren't committed to the Megadrive that much.
    Though I guess that the console wasn't the only problem with them :​D

Thread Information