Quantcast

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Making of Super Castlevania IV and Castlevania Bloodlines/The New Generation.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Castlevania IV plays like what it is: A very early SNES game.

Rondo of Blood and Bloodlines came out 2+ years later and are more refined in terms of gameplay. It's too bad Bloodlines suffers so much in terms of graphics.

Sure, all the games are enjoyable, but I don't see how anyone could claim CIV is objectively better than the others (I think we all know that is just nostalgia talking).

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Castlevania IV plays like what it is: A very early SNES game.

Rondo of Blood and Bloodlines came out 2+ years later and are more refined in terms of gameplay. It's too bad Bloodlines suffers so much in terms of graphics.

Sure, all the games are enjoyable, but I don't see how anyone could claim CIV is objectively better than the others (I think we all know that is just nostalgia talking).
    Don't agree. The lack of diagonal whip was a huge bad move for the MD and PC Eng versions . I thought the levels were better done in the SNES versions and liked the Art direction far more and the music was utterly incredible(still is ).

For much the same reasons , I like the Mega Drive version of Ghost N Ghouls compared to the SNES version.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    I actually appreciate the dreary style of SCV4. It has this nice moody atmosphere which was not something you could have on the 8 bit generation and was pretty rare on the MD/PCE. Bloodlines and Rondo play better though.
    8-bit can do better dreary, better Castlevania and a much better game than Castlevania IV.

You won't find any iradescent, translucent wobbly sentient shapes(?) or speed walking priests(?) in Master of Darkness.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I agree , even the music was a bit of an letdown. Didn't think much of Castlevaina on the MD either. The SNES version is still to this day Incredible mind
    Okay, you can't just make a highly charged statement like that and not at least provide some context for your opinion haha. I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention that Rondo's music was a bit of a let down.

Don't agree. The lack of diagonal whip was a huge bad move for the MD and PC Eng versions . I thought the levels were better done in the SNES versions and liked the Art direction far more and the music was utterly incredible(still is ).

For much the same reasons , I like the Mega Drive version of Ghost N Ghouls compared to the SNES version.
    How is it a bad move? Look at CV1, CV2, CV3, Bloodlines, Rondo, x68000, etc. Hell, SotN (playing as Ritcher). CV4 is the odd man out here. I appreciate CV4, I just think it's pretty overrated when in context of the snes fanboi's fanfare about the game. The best thing about the game is the moody music, and variety of looking stages (not enough games from this era do this IMO), even if it isn't canonical Castlevania.

Well, Bloodlines does have diagonal whipping… but only when jumping for some reason. The weird thing is I look at that screenshot I took earlier again and the diagonal whip animation is from a standing pose rather than jumping. Maybe Bloodlines was going to be more like SCIV at some point?

Now I wonder if diagonal whipping while not jumping can be hacked in.

I remember seeing an old tweet comparing the hitboxes of different ports and the Mega Drive version makes your hitbox larger than it should be :​| (like, it's taller than your sprite wtf) That means that some attacks that normally should miss you instead will hurt you on Mega Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    8-bit can do better dreary, better Castlevania and a much better game than Castlevania IV.
    It's certainly a lot drearier than the NES castlevanias, and Bloodlines for that matter, but it still doesn't match the dreary atmosphere of SCV4. The music is a huge part of it.
    That said, the lack of a 16bit Master of Darkness is downright criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post

How is it a bad move? Look at CV1, CV2, CV3, Bloodlines, Rondo, x68000, etc. Hell, SotN (playing as Ritcher). CV4 is the odd man out here. I appreciate CV4, I just think it's pretty overrated when in context of the snes fanboi's fanfare about the game. The best thing about the game is the moody music, and variety of looking stages (not enough games from this era do this IMO), even if it isn't canonical Castlevania.
    I'm not playing sillly Nintendo fanboys games ..In the same way, I felt Mega Drive Ghost N Ghouls played and controlled (even sounded) compared to the lame SNES game . I enjoyed Castlevania IV far more on the SNES for very similar reasons

I saw the lack of diagonals as a step backwards myself and with the music and art , found the SNES game ,more atmospheric.

That's completely genuine and honestly how I fell on the games
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

I saw the lack of diagonals as a step backwards myself and with the music and art , found the SNES game ,more atmospheric.
    It's one thing to say your prefer that style, but it's completely another thing to say it's a step backwards. Especially, when you consider it's pretty much the only example, and games that came out after in the series don't use it (for the Belmont characters). CV4 isn't a step forward.. it's a side step/experiment. Bloodlines and Rondo have alternate characters, so there really isn't a need to change the basic formula. Rondo adds strafing and the backwards jump, which not only compliments the play style of Belmonts, but pretty much refines/tunes the action to a higher degree because you now have that flexibility to dodge - allowing faster and more intense gameplay mechanics. Maria totally switches up the gameplay, so a diagonal attack option didn't need to be "hacked" into the Belmont control scheme. Konami seemed to feel the same way, apparently, because Ritcher plays just fine in SotN. Item crash expands on the gameplay mechanics of Belmont. There's just so much there you're missing in your perspective of "diagonal is a step forward", that you can't see the forest for the trees. Also, I'll just put this here.

That "limp wip" thing in CV4 is probably the absolute worse thing to happen to the CV series haha. It was more of a "hey look at what we can do since this isn't the NES".. with sprites. My friends and I always laughed at the aspect of CV4.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Clearly Rondo and Bloodlines are a step back from this masterpiece of whip play:

Without writing a novel, overall I personally rate the 16-bit Castlevanias:

1. Castlevania Chronicles (X68000)
    2. Castlevania Bloodlines
    3. Super Castlevania IV
    4. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood

And according to my brother who doesn't play video games but was literally just forced to complete the first stage of each game for the sake of this post and my own perspective:

1. Castlevania Bloodlines
    2. Castlevania Chronicles
    3. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
    4. Super Castlevania IV

The only Castlevania from this era that I don't own is Castlevania: Dracula X for SNES... but I'm not sure if I have much interest to either...

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    It's one thing to say your prefer that style, but it's completely another thing to say it's a step backwards. Especially, when you consider it's pretty much the only example, and games that came out after in the series don't use it (for the Belmont characters). CV4 isn't a step forward.. it's a side step/experiment.
    Given Castlevania IV as a number 4 in it, I don't see it as a spin-off or experiment myself; I always felt Bloodlines was more of a spinoff. I felt the whip action and how the whip was used in Castlevania IV, for some of the levels was far better that's all.

Always felt it was the best in the series myself. I haven't played much of the DS games mind
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Castlevania Bloodlines and Contra Hardcore look like MSX2 games, very simple backgrounds, tile repeating to the exhaustion, same for the TMNT Hyperstone game and Sunset Riders, they should have ported the MSX Gradius and Salamander games instead.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Given Castlevania IV as a number 4 in it, I don't see it as a spin-off or experiment myself; I always felt Bloodlines was more of a spinoff. I felt the whip action and how the whip was used in Castlevania IV, for some of the levels was far better that's all.

Always felt it was the best in the series myself. I haven't played much of the DS games mind
    The title of the game is Akumajo Dracula. It's a remake of the original game story wise and a slapped together SNES demo.

The "IV" was used in foreign markets to deceive the gullible. Hard as it is to believe, even with the internet, many people remain fooled to this day.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post

The "IV" was used in foreign markets to deceive the gullible. Hard as it is to believe, even with the internet, many people remain fooled to this day.
    C'Mon It was intended to be the new Castlevania game for Nintendo next system and its hardly a SNES demo, but a top-quality game and one of Konami best. And who cares if it was a in part a remake ? That's like having a pop at Evil Dead II (the film) Magical Flying Hat or even to a point Ghost N Ghouls & JSRF
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Clearly Rondo and Bloodlines are a step back from this masterpiece of whip play:

Given the talent that worked on that game, I was amazed it was so crap. Was that rumour ever confirmed that Wolf Team were told to program the game not to use any of the Mega CD hardware (gfx and sound chip) as SEGA was behind on getting the tech out, to early developers
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information