Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why is Snatcher loved but Space Adventure Cobra was disliked and forgotten?

I think it comes down to poor distribution. It was released in super low numbers at the end of the console's life and no one really knew about it. I'd say it's a comparable situation to Power Strike II on the SMS, which only came out in Australia and in low numbers.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by eeplox View Post
    I think it comes down to poor distribution. It was released in super low numbers at the end of the console's life and no one really knew about it. I'd say it's a comparable situation to Power Strike II on the SMS, which only came out in Australia and in low numbers.
    Pretty certain Power Strike 2 was released in Europe as well.

I had to look up Space Adventure Cobra. Maybe that's why. And why the hell is it going for ~$700 on eBay? Get the hell out of here with that BS.

I still say Rise of the Dragon is better than both and far cheaper too
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NinMicroSega View Post
    I had to look up Space Adventure Cobra. Maybe that's why. And why the hell is it going for ~$700 on eBay? Get the hell out of here with that BS.
    I read this and did a double-take. Wow, SegaCD game prices in general are just absolutely bonkers it seems like.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

PAL prices aren't any better.

Yeah there's a copy at a local shop that's been sitting in the shelf for a while with the price tag of $750. As much as I'd like to get it for the collection I'll wait for the 2020 prices to drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I still say Rise of the Dragon is better than both and far cheaper too
    I've only played through it once, but I agree the price is much better. I bought my copy for $35 a couple of years ago.
    Toys: PS4 Pro, PS3 Slim 250GB,PSVita, Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, JVC X'Eye, NES, SNES, Neo Geo, Neo Geo CD, Turbo Duo R, PS1, PS2

Movie Setup: Vizio M65, Fluance ES 5.1, Definitive Technology SC 4000, Sony STR-DN840, Apple TV 4k, Synology DS413j with 12TB of media.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairlesswookiee View Post
    Yeah there's a copy at a local shop that's been sitting in the shelf for a while with the price tag of $750. As much as I'd like to get it for the collection I'll wait for the 2020 prices to drop.

I've only played through it once, but I agree the price is much better. I bought my copy for $35 a couple of years ago.
    I picked up Space Cobra for a 5 or something like that, when shops were just getting rid of their Mega CD stock. I bought Rise of the Dragon just after its USA launch, after it got a really good review in I think UK SEGA Pro Mag. I was so happy I did, it was more grown up than Snatcher and felt like you really were a BladeRunner and again, the voice acting was so well done and added to the game.

I love Snatcher but always like Rise of the Dragon more. I do laugh mind how Serria used PC shots on the back of the Sega CD case LOL. I so wished more would have followed like Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis ECT
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

I picked up Space Cobra for a 5 or something like that, when shops were just getting rid of their Mega CD stock. I bought Rise of the Dragon just after its USA launch, after it got a really good review in I think UK SEGA Pro Mag. I was so happy I did, it was more grown up than Snatcher and felt like you really were a BladeRunner and again, the voice acting was so well done and added to the game.

I love Snatcher but always like Rise of the Dragon more. I do laugh mind how Serria used PC shots on the back of the Sega CD case LOL. I so wished more would have followed like Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis ECT
    Wow that's crazy to think of prices back then compared to today's. Are there any lightgun type of sequences in Space Cobra? I'll have to play it on emulation someday but I don't want to mess with it if there's some lightgun stuff.
    Toys: PS4 Pro, PS3 Slim 250GB,PSVita, Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, JVC X'Eye, NES, SNES, Neo Geo, Neo Geo CD, Turbo Duo R, PS1, PS2

Movie Setup: Vizio M65, Fluance ES 5.1, Definitive Technology SC 4000, Sony STR-DN840, Apple TV 4k, Synology DS413j with 12TB of media.

Nameless One

Wow that's crazy to think of prices back then compared to today's. Are there any lightgun type of sequences in Space Cobra? I'll have to play it on emulation someday but I don't want to mess with it if there's some lightgun stuff.
    No lightgun sequences. Combat is menu driven (i.e. select a choice from a limited selection)

So glad I picked up Mega CD games at the time it was out. Prices are bonkers!

I liked Rise of the Dragon too but there are spots you can get completely stuck in the game so it's best to have an earlier save to hand as back up.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

It doesn't have any light gun sequences, but neither does Snatcher. The Sega CD version just lets you try to use a Justifier to control the pre-existing mini-game (game & watch style). Even with the tacked on fight in Chapter 3, I think that there are only 3 or 4 psuedo battles in the game.

Cobra (II) has fights semi regularly and they play out like JRPG battles without any visible stats. There isn't some key sequences of moves to pull off for each fight. You and enemies can miss and you can end up dying, but it should rately happen after you get the hang of it.

Both are perfectly fine to play through in emulation or on an hdtv.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Yeah, I know. Some shops were asking for as little as 1.50 for Mega CD games at end. No Gun parts in Space, I don't think it's that great of a game either. I found it slow and boring with not a great script and didn't have the great BladeRunner feel that Snatcher and Rise of the Dragon captured. Plus both Rise and Dragon had excellent voice acting which really added to the experience
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Master of Shinobi

I found it slow and boring with not a great script and didn't have the great BladeRunner feel that Snatcher and Rise of the Dragon captured.
    To be fair, those examples are all in the cyberpunk genre (or perhaps proto-cyberpunk in Blade Runner's case) while Cobra is not, so it won't have the same atmosphere or aesthetics. I really do think Cobra benefits from being familiar with the source material given that it's basically a remix of the first plot arc with some events happening differently or mixed with other elements seen in the series. Weirdly, I don't think this was true of the first Cobra game on the PC Engine. AFAIK that was an original story.

Thread Information