Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is Snatcher loved but Space Adventure Cobra was disliked and forgotten?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert RvR's Avatar

"Keane-like" lol obviously some snobby art nerd. His review is disqualified.

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

i adored playing cobra a few years back, wish to hell i could swing a loose disc for like $100 but that ship might've sailed

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by RvR View Post
    "Keane-like" lol obviously some snobby art nerd. His review is disqualified.
    "Computer Gamers" at the time, basically.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Basically, it wouldn't matter how great the game itself is, there was (and still is) a lot of blanket rejection of the ADV genre. Nowadays, Snatcher seems to get more of a pass from people, but games like Space Adventure Cobra not so much.
    To be fair, at the time I don't think the genre wasn't well understood outside of Japan. I seem to recall Snatcher getting near universal praise in UK magazines of the time, but they categorised it as an RPG. I suppose you could stretch the definition of RPG to include it, but that's pushing it a bit. Visual novels weren't really a thing outside of Japan (though they weren't too dissimilar in concept to some early western graphic adventure games), so I don't think a lot of reviewers knew how to take them.

Wow, I just noticed how polarised the age ratings for this game are! The ESRB rated it M and ELSPA apparently rated it 18+, yet the UK's BBFC rated it PG (i.e. no age limit) and Germany's USK rated it 6+.

Nameless One

I must have had some Gillian style amnesia there as a I knew that Space cobra Adventure got an extremely limited release in Europe (I actually have a PAL copy as well as my original US copy) However it is extremely rare - much like other limited releases such as Dungeon Explorer, Lords of Thunder and the SNK ports)

I do think a large part of it is Kojima’s subsequent reputation and “celebrity” within gaming circles that has led to this situation. I don’t recall a single review mentioning Kojima but once Metal Gear Solid rolled around that whole thing kicked off.

Much like with bands or film directors people often want to experience their earlier work. This is also exacerbated by gaming magazines constantly running articles about Kojima and his other works particularly Snatcher and Policenauts.

So a lot of it is retrospective.

Having said that like all these things A lot also comes down to the fact that Kojima always creates a detailed world and history and has an almost OCD level of detail in the science, tech and backstory that means Snatcher has a rich world to immerse the gamer. It also aligns more closely with films and mainstream western science fiction whereas Cobra feels more Eastern influenced (I think) and I get the feeling that you are already supposed to know the character and his world - I think someone earlier said it does a much worse job of filling you in on the world, characters and motivations.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

The game was a really late release for the Sega CD. It came out in Eupope and North America in 1995. I found a copy at a Hollywood Video for $20 and later sold it to Melf for what I'd paid for it.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    The game was a really late release for the Sega CD. It came out in Eupope and North America in 1995. I found a copy at a Hollywood Video for $20 and later sold it to Melf for what I'd paid for it.
    . I paid £5 for mine. Crazy shops were more or less giving away Mega CD games at the end of its life in the UK
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Nameless One

Those were the days. I picked up Keio Flying Squadron for £4.97 in Beatties when the system was still a going concern. Once they started trying to clear stock as you say the games were practically pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFox View Post
    Those were the days. I picked up Keio Flying Squadron for £4.97 in Beatties when the system was still a going concern. Once they started trying to clear stock as you say the games were practically pennies.
    Betties was ace . Great place for cheap PC games back in the day .I only paid £5 for Terminator on the Mega CD too
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

I've never heard of the game Space Adventure Cobra. Looking it up now. It doesn't even look like a game, more of a text adventure retelling of an anime. No puzzles or shooting sequences?
    Last edited by Baloo; 05-31-2020 at 03:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I've never heard of the game Space Adventure Cobra. Looking it up now. It doesn't even look like a game, more of a text adventure retelling of an anime. No puzzles or shooting sequences?
    It has as much about as much as Snatcher, which isn't much of any. The action sequences play out much more like a JRPG.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

I saw a Mega CD at a boot sale for £10 a decade odd ago, didn't buy it outright, got distracted and forgot to go back for it.

Little would I know it would be the last time I would see one anywhere and was effectively my last chance to own one

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    This is the kind of thinking (no offense intended) that I was referencing earlier in the thread that showed up a lot in reviews of Snatcher. The Western audience has never been very accepting of Japanese adventure games (as games at least). I guess it matches the general Japanese dislike for Western adventure games ("Is this even a game? You just pixel hunt and click random items until you find something that works.").

The mechanics of ADV games like Snatcher, Psy-O-Blade, Space Adventure Cobra, Dead of the Brain, etc. are much more story-focused, but they are different from visual novels. Visual novels are highly linear and might have some branching dialogue choices, but generally there is next-to-no feeling of user agency. Japanese adventure games have slightly more sense of user agency in that the player can interact with the environment how they want (choosing which item or event to investigate when), and there is often some basic sense of exploration in moving from room to room. Item-based puzzles are rare, though. Advancing the story often requires choosing the correct dialogue option or item to investigate, or simply exhausting all of the options. Some adventure games like SA Cobra certainly have more linear progression.

I enjoy playing Japanese adventure games because the art is often top-notch and it's a good way to practice Japanese. But yeah, it's not a very accessible genre.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

100% Kojima brand going crazy. I like both of them, but Snatcher lacks regular replay-ability in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFox View Post
    It also aligns more closely with films and mainstream western science fiction whereas Cobra feels more Eastern influenced (I think) and I get the feeling that you are already supposed to know the character and his world - I think someone earlier said it does a much worse job of filling you in on the world, characters and motivations.
    With Cobra I do think there might be an element of getting more out of it if you're familiar with the source material. I'm watching the '80s anime series and have started to read the manga, and the game is something of a retelling of the first major story arc after Cobra's introduction. It's not a straight retelling though, so while some events happen pretty much the same as they originally did, others play out completely differently. It adds some things from other Cobra stories that fans would recognise, and possibly some original stuff too (though I haven't read enough of the Manga to be certain about that). For example, it's got a completely different antagonist at the end and, tied in to that, Dominique's location and situation are completely different.

Thread Information