Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Death & Return of Superman

Default The Death & Return of Superman

Many people believe that DC Comics jumped the shark with the Death of Superman storyline. We all know that flagship comic book characters never stay dead (Jean Grey and Captain America, anyone?), but the completely silly way in which the writers handled Supes' "death" and return was enough to make issue #75 of Superman end up less valuable than a square of used Cottonelle. The Sunsoft Genesis game was almost as bad, and it had few redeeming qualities as a beat-'em-up. Hey, at least it wasn't as bad as Marvel's Spider-Man clone saga... We have a full review of it, and you should be done with it before its Kryptonite-like powers sap your will to live.
    Last edited by Melf; 07-22-2011 at 09:14 PM.

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Oh, wow. I never knew of this game.

I think it is part of the licensing contract that all Superman videogames must suck, but this is even worse that Sunsoft's previous Superman game (which at least had the sound engine from Batman and a great bassline). I still need to get Superman. But this one I will pass on.

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

This one is far better than the sunsoft version. IS there ANY superman game that doesn't suck? I havent played the "new" superman returns game for 360 yet. Superman has to be the worst superhero video game "genre" there ever was.

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

The problem with putting Superman into a beat 'em up is that Superman is damn near invincible and a BEU requires a hero that isn't. Nobody wants to play as Superman without his powers, and playing as a guy who can't be hurt by normal "thugs" is a boring game.

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raśl Julia...

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Venture
    The problem with putting Superman into a beat 'em up is that Superman is damn near invincible and a BEU requires a hero that isn't. Nobody wants to play as Superman without his powers, and playing as a guy who can't be hurt by normal "thugs" is a boring game.
    I disagree that a beat'em up requires a hero that is not invincible, but I would be lying if I stated it didn't require challenge.

The draw of beat'em ups is that the player needs to survive the enemy waves by making use of his reflexes and proper use of the character skills. An invincible hero doesn't fall down when kicked around but can still be challenged in other ways. A trade-off is certainly possible. While hopelessly dismal, the latest Superman game does feature some interesting design quirks, such as having to use powers moderately to avoid slaying civilians or damaging the city's integrity, with those two values ultimately being the "health bar". If Metropolis is wasted badly, it's game over.

This works as a much better representation of the character (since preserving human life is one of the super boyscout's goals) and I feel it doesn't really betray the conventions of the beat'em up genre.

Also, kudos to Ken for posting my last review :salute:

Quote Originally Posted by Melf
    Hey, at least it wasn't as bad as Marvel's Spider-Man clone saga...
    The Spider-Man clone saga is an underestimated one. I will never understand why people hated it so much, or why they wouldn't even give it a chance whatsoever.
    As for Superman, I never really saw anything worth of mentioning/playing in any of the game versions I've put my eyes on.

Quote Originally Posted by trekbone87
    IS there ANY superman game that doesn't suck?

Quote Originally Posted by Kollision
    The Spider-Man clone saga is an underestimated one. I will never understand why people hated it so much, or why they wouldn't even give it a chance whatsoever.
    I was an avid Spider-Man reader since the late '70s, and it was by the far the worst storyline for the character that I've ever read. It was so bloated and over-extended that it became yet another reason not to read anything Marvel during the time. In fact, it was this "sell anything, no matter how bad" attitude during the late '90s that caused me to stop reading comics altogether.

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

I was an avid Spider-Man reader since the late '70s, and it was by the far the worst storyline for the character that I've ever read. It was so bloated and over-extended that it became yet another reason not to read anything Marvel during the time. In fact, it was this "sell anything, no matter how bad" attitude during the late '90s that caused me to stop reading comics altogether.
    I stopped during the clone saga too...but I should have stopped already when they delivered months of Maximum Carnage-crap.

BTW, I find it funny that such a popular developer like Blizzard has such a dirty little secret like this game!

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

Is it just me or did that review seem very long? Superman games are renowned for being tosh and although I've never played this one it hardly comes as a shock. Wasn't Superman for the N64 largely regarded as the worst game ever released ever on any console?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smith
    Is it just me or did that review seem very long?
    That's pretty short for my standards I'm a bit on the long winded side.

Superman games are renowned for being tosh and although I've never played this one it hardly comes as a shock. Wasn't Superman for the N64 largely regarded as the worst game ever released ever on any console?
    I think Bubsy 3D is the worse game for any console ever, with Superman 64 coming in at a close second.

I was an avid Spider-Man reader since the late '70s, and it was by the far the worst storyline for the character that I've ever read.
    I'm always alone on this subject....

Wildside Expert

Thanks for the informative heads up...but...

From the review:

...I had seen Doomsday. I hunch over the keyboard, unsettled by the grotesque prospect of it. There lay old Red and Blue, motionless and blinking.
    Is it just me, or do I smell something wrong here?

Quote Originally Posted by kylera
    Is it just me, or do I smell something wrong here?
    That's taken a bit out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by Diogo Ribeiro
    (...) one of Earth's greatest heroes fell lifeless to the ground even before I had seen Doomsday. I hunch over the keyboard, unsettled by the grotesque prospect of it. There lay old Red and Blue, motionless and blinking.

Wildside Expert

I'm sorry, I don't quite follow (no sarcasm intended).

Thread Information