Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Layer Section II or other "affordable" shooters on Saturn?

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Default Layer Section II or other "affordable" shooters on Saturn?

Is it worth it on Saturn? My Saturn is lacking some shooters and most are really expensive. Sure I'd love a ton of them out there but few are "shmups" that are even somewhat affordable. I know it's also on PS1 but I'm weird. I only want them for Saturn. If this game is not worth it. Any suggestions for "shmups" reasonably priced online. Max of $60 but prefer it to keep it below that if possible. I was going to build up a SEGA Mega CD shooters but the Ebay seller cheated me and everythig else on that system is insane aside from Sol Feace. So now just looking at Saturn. Thanks.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

You're best off spending money on a setup that will allow you to play games without buying physical copies and trying out a game to determine what they're worth to you to pay for them.

Waiting till after you buy a game to find out if it's actually worthwhile to you only leads to missing out on playing most games you'd enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Centrale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    Any suggestions for "shmups" reasonably priced online.
    Which ones do you already have? You can often find the Japanese versions for less than the Western versions, and they are playable with an Action Replay cartridge (no need for modding the console). Also, the vast majority of shooters (and 2D games in general) were not brought over at that time, so there's just a whole lot more to choose from in the Japanese library. However, there are still several Japanese releases that command absolutely insane prices, so it's not all inexpensive. But there are still some gems to be had for fairly reasonable prices.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

I have a Japanese Saturn anyway. US Saturn died a couple years backs. I have just Bulk Slash,Panzer games and Assault Suit Leynos 2. Pretty much it.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    You're best off spending money on a setup that will allow you to play games without buying physical copies and trying out a game to determine what they're worth to you to pay for them.

Waiting till after you buy a game to find out if it's actually worthwhile to you only leads to missing out on playing most games you'd enjoy.
    The Polymega is already paid for. So still going to get physical games for the time being.

I have a Japanese Saturn anyway. US Saturn died a couple years backs. I have just Bulk Slash,Panzer games and Assault Suit Leynos 2. Pretty much it.
    Regarding Layer Section II, I played it a bit a couple of years ago. The first Layer Section is 2D sprite-based, this one is mostly 3D based. Stylish and with an understated, almost mellow soundtrack, I was repeatedly stymied by hard-to-see shots. I do still play the first Layer Section from time to time - I prefer it and I think it's still pretty affordable.

Another one I played a while back is Soukyugurentai. Vertical shooter with 3D backgrounds. One button shoots continuously when tapped rhythmically; when held down a "net" is cast that will lock on to targets, firing homing lasers when released. Cool music that is a mixture of electronic and orchestral. A neat touch is that the game's levels are set to a future date that matches today's date based on your system settings.

In the Hunt is, I think, super cool... a submarine game from Nazca, the team that later went on to create the Metal Slug series, so it has that kind of funky cartoony yet really seriously awesome art style. I've heard this actually runs a bit rougher on the Saturn than the Playstation, which is rare for 2D games, but it's still fantastic.

Darius Gaiden is good and can usually be found affordably. It's Darius, what can I say? I love the concept and the execution is certainly solid.

The Thunder Force Gold Packs (1 & 2) and Thunder Force V are all getting into the more expensive category (up to ~$130), but they're all worth playing for sure. Thunder Force V looks like a visual downgrade from the masterpiece pixel art of IV, as they moved into early 3D... but it is still stylish in its own way, and the gameplay is still quite good.

A couple of the more expensive ones that I've played include Hyper Duel... this one is crazy expensive (~$450-650), but it is quite good. A TechnoSoft game that began as an arcade game (maybe their only coin-op title?). All of their signature elements are there... killer hard-prog-rock soundtrack, the semi-intelligible lady robot power-up announcer, and beautifully drawn 2D artwork. You fly a ship that can transform into a mech with a steer-able shot.

Another expensive one (~$200+) that isn't as good is Gekirindan: Time Travel Shooting - Unfortunately this game is really rough. Unlike a lot of 'maniac' shooters that slow down the curtain of bullets coming at you, this one offers no such courtesy. It's just immediately fast and brutal. It's also got untimely pauses for loading before bosses, ruining the flow of the music and the levels themselves.

I'm not really a shmup expert by any means but those are the ones I'm most familiar with for the Saturn.
    Last edited by Centrale; 05-31-2020 at 11:55 AM.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I had Layer Section 2 (Raystorm) on the Playstation. It was an inferior game to Layer Section 1 (Galactic Attack) on the Saturn. If you must play it, you could probably find the superior PlayStation version for a bit less.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Get Soukyugurentai. The best shooter ever made, from the GODS that were RAIZING . It also has the best soundtrack to any shooter ever .
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Master of Shinobi

Layer Section 2 is a great little game with very nice graphics, eerie soundtrack, and great gameplay. The only downside is that the Playstation version has all of those with far better graphics and it may be cheaper.

The first Layer Section is also great, and the Saturn port is definitely the best that isn't emulated. It was a fairly cheap title, last time I checked. Note that it is missing some graphical effects unless you play it in TATE mode due to hardware limitations (the game relies extremely heavily on line scroll, which cannot be rotated since they depend on the physical scanlines).

I'd also recommend Sega's super scaler games for the Saturn... Space Harrier, After Burner II, and Galaxy Force II are all excellent. Best played with the Mission Stick, this is probably the closest approximation to the arcade experience you can get with these games. In particular, I remember really feeling the physicality of After Burner while playing with the mission stick... the only thing missing is getting throttled by the coin-op's powerful force feedback when you crash. And although it's not a shooter, you should get Out Run as well since it's their sibling and it would be lonely without the others. (Gale Racer should be avoided, though... it's a really unfortunate, unfinished (IMO) conversion.)

Master of Shinobi

If you want the super scaler games, Power Drift is also on the Saturn.

Galaxy Force runs at half the framerate compared to the arcade, I think. Outrun too, but that one has a 60fps cheat. I think Galaxy Force may be too busy to run in 60fps on the Saturn.

Thanks all. Will have to give it some thought.

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

Tengoku the game paradise can usually be found for like $65-80, or more if it's in pristine condition. A cool game but holy shit is it hard at first. I don't know if it was just the enemies and bullets moving a little differently than I was used to or what, but it put me in my place the first few times I tried it. But once you get a feel for it it's pretty nice.

counter of beans Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    If you want the super scaler games, Power Drift is also on the Saturn.

Galaxy Force runs at half the framerate compared to the arcade, I think. Outrun too, but that one has a 60fps cheat. I think Galaxy Force may be too busy to run in 60fps on the Saturn.
    Wasn't arcade Outrun a 30fps game?

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman View Post
    Wasn't arcade Outrun a 30fps game?
    In the Arcades Yes , Just like the Saturn version, with out the 60Hz mode ..I find it better to play at 30 FPS mind
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thread Information