Quantcast

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 102

Thread: SEGA announces Game gear Micro

  1. #46
    On NGC? No, DREAMCAST! ;D WCPO Agent GameX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Quebec
    Posts
    795
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    There's actually 5 versions (LOL):


    Quote Originally Posted by https://60th.sega.com/ggmicro/shop.html
    In addition to the 4 colors of Game Gear Micro, a new model of "Game Gear Micro Smoke" has been added, and it is a luxurious DX pack that allows you to frame and decorate all 5 types of main body.
    Click to enlarge.
    Attachment 15444

    Well, just figured it's actually a mockup according to Google Translate... Doesn't turn ON lol.

    2) Game Gear Micro Smoke Model (Mockup) * Completed product. The appearance and texture are almost the same as the product, but the power does not turn on. You cannot play the game.
    So still 4 versions haha.
    Last edited by GameX; 06-03-2020 at 01:27 PM.
    Collection:

    NES [11/XX/90] / N64 [12/25/03] / GB [2003 or 2004] / GBA SP [2004 or 2005] / NGC [12/25/04] / Wii [12/25/07] / DS Lite [10/21/10] / SNES [05/31/20]

    GenMobile [05/XX/10 - 04/17/11] / DC [07/23/10] / GEN1-HDG [10/25/10] / Saturn Model 2 [04/24/11] / Game Gear [07/21/17] / SMS [08/07/17] / GEN2 [08/09/17] / SCD2 [08/09/17] / 32x [08/24/17] / GEN3 [06/06/20] / GEN-Mini [06/10/20]

    PS3 Slim 320GB + PSMove [12/25/10] / PS2 Slim [02/09/11] / PS [04/24/11]

    Xbox [04/24/11]

  2. #47
    End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    9,538
    Rep Power
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    The screen looks to be proportionately the same size as the GBA Micro, only in the original GG aspect ratio. The screen should be at least ten times clearer than the original Game Gear, so text can only be easier to read.

    The body looks larger than GBA Micro, which lots of people like. I bought one new bitd and tried to keep playing it, but went back to my SP because of the screen quality alone.
    I doubt the screen will be all that great on a $46 item. I have a keychain arcade of PAC-MAN and Space Invaders. Those are $20 items and the screens are pretty low Rez.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  3. #48
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,223
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    The screen looks to be proportionately the same size as the GBA Micro, only in the original GG aspect ratio. The screen should be at least ten times clearer than the original Game Gear, so text can only be easier to read.

    The body looks larger than GBA Micro, which lots of people like. I bought one new bitd and tried to keep playing it, but went back to my SP because of the screen quality alone.
    I don't know about that. The GB Micro was about 100 mm across with a 2" screen, this one is only 80 mm. I haven't seen the screen size listed but I opened one of the images in Photoshop, the entire unit is 327 pixels across, with the screen measuring 100 px wide by 75 px tall. So that would be a screen size of about 1.2" on the diagonal, or about 60% smaller than the GB Micro LCD.

    For a quick game of Columns I might enjoy it as a novelty I just don't understand putting RPGs on it that no one will play.

  4. #49
    Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,372
    Rep Power
    62

    Default

    Pre-orders have already sold out on most sites.

    Concerning the quality of the screen: Decent LCD screens at that size are pretty common and dirt cheap these days. I think you can get a 1.5" LCD for about $2 from Aliexpress with resolution double the original GG (or so). Will be much cheaper in bulk.

    Edit: And there are also lots of so-called "TinyPi" handhelds out there that will give you a sense of what this GG Micro will be like. The screen on this one is quite nice, as you can see at 1:00.

    Last edited by Gryson; 06-03-2020 at 05:21 PM.

  5. #50
    End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    9,538
    Rep Power
    134

    Default

    Thatís like child labor cheap.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  6. #51
    Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vancouver
    Age
    44
    Posts
    5,054
    Rep Power
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    I don't know about that. The GB Micro was about 100 mm across with a 2" screen, this one is only 80 mm. I haven't seen the screen size listed but I opened one of the images in Photoshop, the entire unit is 327 pixels across, with the screen measuring 100 px wide by 75 px tall. So that would be a screen size of about 1.2" on the diagonal, or about 60% smaller than the GB Micro LCD.

    For a quick game of Columns I might enjoy it as a novelty I just don't understand putting RPGs on it that no one will play.
    There is an official looking photo online with a GBA Micro in a hand that looks comparable to the Game Gear Micro hand pic.

    Keep in mind that GBA resolution is 240 x 160 but Game Gear is only 160 x 144.

    So if the GG Micro came out back when the GBA Micro did, you'd likely have more or less the same display size.

    But screen size is irrelevent since budget screens today are so good that it will likely have a much better image than the GBA Micro did.

    Don't forget that the original Game Gear actually exist and had terrible blurring during scrolling and static images were still super blurry compared to what we're used to today.

    Everyone's tastes are different, but I think that a turn based game like Shining Force is much better suited to small portables than a real time puzzle game. I've done a lot of laps through Phantasy Star on my touch screen phones, playing mostly while waiting in lines.



    Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Thatís like child labor cheap.
    As opposed to suicide net cheap?
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

  7. #52
    Raging in the Streets Sik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,166
    Rep Power
    77

    Default

    Don't forget also that a lot of people have shitty vision, especially the target demographic who have grown older (since I doubt they're aiming to sell it to kids). And honestly it's a pain even when you have good vision. And let's not forget that the buttons are so cramped that it looks like long term use can hurt your hands, so you want to keep any gaming sessions short.

    RPGs are like the polar opposite of what you'd want to play in that context. Sure, I can get people who want to play them on portable hardware, but that usually still involves something a bit larger than this :​P

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Pre-orders have already sold out on most sites.
    Gotta give it to them, they know how much they can get away with.

  8. #53
    Road Rasher
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    389
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    If they made it the same size as a gameboy micro with a decent screen, pre loaded with 30 games, i would have bought it even at 100$, this is ridiculous. Could have been awesome

  9. #54
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,223
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    There is an official looking photo online with a GBA Micro in a hand that looks comparable to the Game Gear Micro hand pic.

    Keep in mind that GBA resolution is 240 x 160 but Game Gear is only 160 x 144.

    So if the GG Micro came out back when the GBA Micro did, you'd likely have more or less the same display size.

    But screen size is irrelevent since budget screens today are so good that it will likely have a much better image than the GBA Micro did.

    Don't forget that the original Game Gear actually exist and had terrible blurring during scrolling and static images were still super blurry compared to what we're used to today.

    Everyone's tastes are different, but I think that a turn based game like Shining Force is much better suited to small portables than a real time puzzle game. I've done a lot of laps through Phantasy Star on my touch screen phones, playing mostly while waiting in lines.
    Yeah you have a point it's probably about the same pixel density as a GB Micro. But it's still tiny. A turn-based RPG might be easier I just can't imagine looking at that screen for hours.

    The closest I've owned to this was a Zelda watch, that was cool because even when I wasn't playing it would display Link and Aquamentus, like a little screensaver (in addition of course to displaying the time). I don't think I played through the game more than a couple times but you could finish all the levels in about 15 minutes.

    I'd actually rather have the GG Micro function as like a little picture frame, show me screenshots and gameplay from classic Sega games when I'm not playing, I would get some amusement out of having that on my desk.

  10. #55
    Genesis Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5,898
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    It's not built to play. It's built to be bought, toyed around with for an hour or two, and then put on the shelf with the other collectibles

  11. #56
    Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,372
    Rep Power
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    It's not built to play. It's built to be bought, toyed around with for an hour or two, and then put on the shelf with the other collectibles
    Yep. Even for the MD Mini, I think that is probably what happened for 95% of the people that bought it - plug it in, play around for a bit, and put it on the shelf.

    The GG Micro is just cutting straight to the point.

  12. #57
    The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    1999
    Posts
    5,444
    Rep Power
    70

    Default

    Size comparison


    Off Twitter from SEGA Bits

    Life!? ... What console is that on?

    [PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99


  13. #58
    End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    9,538
    Rep Power
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    T




    As opposed to suicide net cheap?
    Apple certainly didn't pass those savings on to customers.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  14. #59
    The Gentleman Thief Baloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,710
    Rep Power
    98

    Default

    If it charges through microusb, then someone will find a way to mod it. Only way it would make this thing worth buying is through a mod.

    That being said, Game Gear games have terrible resolution, better off playing the Master System alternatives for the most part, since TecToy ported every worthwhile GG game to the Master System.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!



    Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

  15. #60
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,223
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    If it charges through microusb, then someone will find a way to mod it. Only way it would make this thing worth buying is through a mod.

    That being said, Game Gear games have terrible resolution, better off playing the Master System alternatives for the most part, since TecToy ported every worthwhile GG game to the Master System.
    This is so true, I almost never play the GG versions anymore. The higher color count is nice but not at the expense of halving the resolution. I'd wager that even Sega would have just made a portable SMS 30 years ago if costs had been lower, NEC showed it could be done with the Turbo Express.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •