Quantcast

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: SEGA announces Game gear Micro

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Not a single mention of the two GG Shinobi games? Seriously?
    The library is large. I don't have time to post them all. I started with some of the genres I enjoy.

Baloo: I believe that I only listed RPGs and war sims that have English translations. I guess that 2020 means different things to different people. I'm not interested in current consoles but love <16-bit games and it's never been easier and more convenient to play them, especially portable games.

Here are some English translations:

https://www.romhacking.net/?page=tra...transsearch=Go

And here are some Game Gear to SMS conversions:

https://www.smspower.org/Hacks/GameGearToMasterSystem

I don't view radically different versions of a game to be "better" or cancel them out and I don't consider new entries or sequels in a series to be "the same game".

I also love chiptunes (especially SMS sound) and the signature visuals of unique gaming hardware. Shining Force CD will never replace the games it mimics and you're losing out on skipping them if you enjoy the classic series.

I guess you don't play many Genesis games any more and rarely on Genesis hardware, since most games are better/newer elsewhere and there are technically superior alternatives?
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Centrale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    So if we expanded the list out a little bit. These are probably the only must plays on the Game Gear
    For you, I guess! You could ask each person what their must-play list is for any console, and you'd have some titles that commonly repeat across everyone's list, and some unique titles on each person's list, too. Also, there are a lot of people who enjoy playing the different versions of a single game because it's just fascinating to observe the different capabilities in hardware and the various approaches different coders took in adapting the titles. For example, I like playing every version of Out Run. Obviously technical capabilities have expanded by leaps and bounds over the years but (at the risk of stating the obvious on a retro-focused forum) the old stuff still stands on its own terms and is worth playing... not only to observe a technological evolution, but also because it's still fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Not a single mention of the two GG Shinobi games? Seriously?
    I think my tastes are just different from everyone here on the boards, nothing wrong with that either. I'm glad more people are finding fun with the Game Gear. I just went back this week and tried a bunch of the lauded games, like Donald Duck in Deep Duck Trouble, Shinobi I and II, Streets of Rage I and II, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Triple Trouble, The Lucky Dime Caper, Gunstar Heroes, and honestly just didn't find that they held up well for the most part. I thought Ristar played considerably well and looked nice, but when compared to the Genesis version which is also easy to emulate, I just didn't see the appeal for a lot of these games in 2020. Not that they were terrible back in the day or anything, I played a lot of Game Gear when I was a kid. But I just don't think too many of these games have aged considerably well.

I still play a lot of Genesis games, because I think that the colors are vibrant, screen is far larger, and the music is much better. Not that these games are objectively horrible, but sometimes when you're accustomed over the years of playing games in a different fashion, that you'd rather take the better version. but I will say taking Streets of Rage II for example that I think the sound chip is just quite superior on the Genesis that I would prefer playing it that way. Gameplay is a little bit tighter to. Not that Streets of Rage II for Game Gear isn't an impressive port for a time when that was the only portable way to play Streets of Rage. Same thing goes for the Sonic games I wrote about in another thread.

Technology aside, if I have a limited amount of time, I'm taking the more tightly developed version, regardless of platform. For example:

• Streets of Rage Remake over the original 3 Streets of Rage games, particularly Streets of Rage 1 on Genesis which i think has very poor hit detection.
    • Sonic 1 on Genesis over Sonic 1 on Master System or Game Gear.
    • Outrun on the Sega Saturn over Outrun on the Sega Genesis.
    • Space Harrier on the Saturn or 32X or Arcade over Space Harrier 2.
    • Gunstar Heroes on Genesis over Gunstar Heroes on Game Gear.
    • Ecco the Dolphin for Windows over Ecco the Dolphin on Genesis.

That's not to say a lot of these games are horrible, but I'm going to take the technologically superior and tighter playing version if I can.
    Last edited by Baloo; 06-08-2020 at 01:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

The 8-bit Street of Rage games are awful and I don't know why anybody would think they're good, it's not just the collision detection that's off, the physics in general are (・・) Maybe it looks nice on screenshots (maybe) but that's it.

Road Rasher

I have to agree that a lot of the game gear games are crappier versions of the genesis games, gunstar heroes is amazing for an 8 bit port but i would never play it when i can play the genesis version. If nintendo bitd had made the same games for both gameboy and snes, i would never play the gameboy.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    I have to agree that a lot of the game gear games are crappier versions of the genesis games, gunstar heroes is amazing for an 8 bit port but i would never play it when i can play the genesis version.
    Couldn't the same be said about Arcade vs most MD ports ?
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Opa-Opa

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    As well as some NES, SNES and PCE games. But MD versions are worth playing for the sound alone, except the rare exception that it's terrible.

Whenever it comes up that some people only play what they believe to be a definitive or best version of a game, the common denominator is always how technically advanced the platform is, not the actual merit of individual versions.

Like when some people here said that they wouldn't touch any previous versions of SFII after SSFIIHDR was released. I believe that some admitted to not even owning a quality street fighting controller to play it.

"Crude" is also a poor measure as it is too often used to dismiss fantastic classic games that someone either never understood or because they're simply on the wrong side of an imaginary line in history, before which they insist all games aren't playable.

Some of the most rewarding and engaging games aren't super complex in what is immediately accessible or full of endless content. Too many games with a laundry list of actions available to excute or overly complex stage design are celebrated for being "deep" when the actual play experience is very shallow.

To me it seems like you aren't really a fan of classic gaming if you only play a select number of games spanning history from a list that is contantly being updated by the new "best" versions. You're just playing random games. Which is fine, but classic gaming forums shouldn't be of much interest in that case.

Which is why classic gaming forums are full of people who spend most of their time talking about current and upcoming generations or just random non-video game talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

I see the "kusoge" popularity movement as being a bit of backlash against this idea of only playing "perfect" games or whatever.

Intentionally seek out awful games and enjoy them for what they are. It's similar to watching bad movies for fun.

You don't approach it with the mindset of "I'm going to beat this game" (because that would be torture), but instead it's an exploration of how fucked up the design of the game is.

Pretty sure that most people will beat you up nowadays if you admit to playing a version that isn't the arcade one (unless the port is significantly improved in other ways).

Road Rasher

Legend of Illusion and Land of Illusion aren't GG exclusives. Both are on SMS. The former is one of those odd Brazil exclusives, though the latter is a nice version of the game. While the GG versions of SoR don't hold a candle to ty he Genesis versions, they still have some of the better music on GG thanks to Yuzo Kushiro. Then again, so do both GG Shinobi games, which are both among the best games on the system.

I like playing multiple versions of games myself. Genesis has some nice arcade ports and I especially like it when they include extra content like with the port of Mercs. There are also cases like Columns and Puyo Puyo 2 where the Genesis version is very similar due to the arcade using Genesis based hardware. There's also the odd case of Thunder Force AC that is a port of Thunder Force III to the arcade.
    Last edited by BrianC; 06-10-2020 at 01:09 AM.

Road Rasher

Most of the time, arcade conversions have been adapted for console gameplay, with a set number of lives to finish the game. Arcade games have no sense of accomplishment im many cases, its pay to play. Iíll takecontra on nes vs arcade

Master of Shinobi

The problem with the early portable consoles is that a huge percentage of the games were ports, so while that was cool back in the day today there's no point when you can already play a superior version. My favorite way to play on the go is on the New 3DS, it can emulate lots of older systems and the output is still 240p.

I think it would be great if Sega would release a Game Gear style handheld, but give it the SMS versions of the games, most of which were not well known here in the US. Since it's emulation they could change the color palette, remove the sprite limit and add FM support. That would be cool to see and it would be something different than always focusing on the Genesis games.
    Last edited by axel; 06-11-2020 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    As well as some NES, SNES and PCE games. But MD versions are worth playing for the sound alone, except the rare exception that it's terrible.

Whenever it comes up that some people only play what they believe to be a definitive or best version of a game, the common denominator is always how technically advanced the platform is, not the actual merit of individual versions.

Like when some people here said that they wouldn't touch any previous versions of SFII after SSFIIHDR was released. I believe that some admitted to not even owning a quality street fighting controller to play it.

"Crude" is also a poor measure as it is too often used to dismiss fantastic classic games that someone either never understood or because they're simply on the wrong side of an imaginary line in history, before which they insist all games aren't playable.

Some of the most rewarding and engaging games aren't super complex in what is immediately accessible or full of endless content. Too many games with a laundry list of actions available to excute or overly complex stage design are celebrated for being "deep" when the actual play experience is very shallow.

To me it seems like you aren't really a fan of classic gaming if you only play a select number of games spanning history from a list that is contantly being updated by the new "best" versions. You're just playing random games. Which is fine, but classic gaming forums shouldn't be of much interest in that case.

Which is why classic gaming forums are full of people who spend most of their time talking about current and upcoming generations or just random non-video game talk.
    I grew up playing these games, been on here for 10 years now. And frankly when you grow up eating Chef Boyardee and then go to a restaurant and try good food, you don't really want to go back to the old stuff. Looking back on all these games I used to play as a kid with my Game Gear, they haven't stood up well. Street Fighter II is another excellent example. Who wants to play the Genesis port when its so easy to play an arcade-perfect edition of the game?

You can still be a classic gaming fan and not think that everything that was good back then is good now. What developers have realized with games like Shovel Knight, Ducktales: Remastered, Sonic Mania, Streets of Rage 4, Undertale, etc. is that you can blend the best part of the 2D games that were great with more modern technology and make a really good game. You don't need to gatekeep classic gaming to "only people who want to play 8-bit ports on the Game Gear."

There's still plenty of games on the Genesis that are worth playing in 2020, but that doesn't mean all of them are playable. But I think, just like there's a huge jump from Atari to NES in terms of playability, there's also a huge jump from the 8-bit to 16-bit era in a lot of respects. The Mario games to me are still infinitely playable, but I have never played anything on Atari that is fun, but I didn't grow up with it either. I think there's a lot of matters of taste with old games. Some are good for nostalgia, some are good across generations, some are somewhere in between those two mediums. And some games are just bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Master of Shinobi

I grew up playing these games, been on here for 10 years now. And frankly when you grow up eating Chef Boyardee and then go to a restaurant and try good food, you don't really want to go back to the old stuff. Looking back on all these games I used to play as a kid with my Game Gear, they haven't stood up well. Street Fighter II is another excellent example. Who wants to play the Genesis port when its so easy to play an arcade-perfect edition of the game?

You can still be a classic gaming fan and not think that everything that was good back then is good now. What developers have realized with games like Shovel Knight, Ducktales: Remastered, Sonic Mania, Streets of Rage 4, Undertale, etc. is that you can blend the best part of the 2D games that were great with more modern technology and make a really good game. You don't need to gatekeep classic gaming to "only people who want to play 8-bit ports on the Game Gear."

There's still plenty of games on the Genesis that are worth playing in 2020, but that doesn't mean all of them are playable. But I think, just like there's a huge jump from Atari to NES in terms of playability, there's also a huge jump from the 8-bit to 16-bit era in a lot of respects. The Mario games to me are still infinitely playable, but I have never played anything on Atari that is fun, but I didn't grow up with it either. I think there's a lot of matters of taste with old games. Some are good for nostalgia, some are good across generations, some are somewhere in between those two mediums. And some games are just bad.
    Couldn't agree more. Games, like everything else, have gotten better with time. We had awhile there where I felt like classic 2D gaming was neglected, but in the past decade there's been a resurgence. I can't get into the 2600 library either, it's just too primitive. I did enjoy it back in the day but today there's no point. I also find very few 5th gen games that I want to play in their original format, that era just hasn't aged well at all.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I grew up in the Atari VCS era and I can admit that alot of it is just really bad. That being said, games like Warlords, Missile Command, Pitfall, Breakout and Asterioids can provide a pretty decent gaming experience.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Thread Information