Quantcast

Thread: Clockwork Aquario 1992 canceled game finally released after 28 years

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Default Clockwork Aquario 1992 canceled game finally released after 28 years

PS4 and Switch

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/06/cloc...switch-in-2020

As a company that is striving for the preservation of video games, it has also become a part of Strictly Limited Games’ mission to unearth unreleased games that are an essential part of the cultural video game heritage.

So, three years ago, Strictly Limited Games set out to find the whereabouts of Tokeijikake no Aquario, the Japanese title of Clockwork Aquario, and to bring the game back to life.

ININ Games then joined in the endeavors to convince Sega / LAT that Clockwork Aquario will finally see the light of day, by signing to create a digital release and making the game accessible to a wider audience.

Some parts (including sound, music, and several graphics) were not recoverable from the source code, so the particular emphasis is placed on involving as many members of the original Westone team as possible in the project to be true to the game—from the chief programmer, Takanori Kurihara, to the musical genius, Shinichi Sakamoto, to Mr. Wonder Boy himself, Ryuichi Nishizawa, who expressed his joy and excitement about seeing the title screen again after 27 years on Twitter.

“Clockwork Aquario is a great piece of 2D art, into which the pixel artists put their hearts and souls,” Ryuichi Nishizawa said. “I would like to express my heartfelt respect and gratitude to those who have worked so hard to restore it.”
    Development on Clockwork Aquario started in 1992 as the last arcade game ever developed by Westone Bit Entertainment. Its 2D graphics were created to “push the Sega System 18 arcade hardware to its limits,” but with 3D games taking over arcades at the time, Clockwork Aquario was cancelled. It was originally designed by Ryuichi Nishizawa, chief publisher and co-founder of Westone Bit Entertainment (and creator of Wonder Boy / Monster World).

Here is the story of how Strictly Limited Games unearthed Clockwork Aquario to revive and release the title:

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

I hope they give it the Fantasy Zone II treatment and use an emulator so that the roms can be extracted to be used on real hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

WCPO Agent

That's exciting news. Never thought I'd see another Westone game. If they got the old team back together maybe they can make another after this?

Was this supposed to be on Sega Genesis?
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Too colorful to be.
    It was planned for arcades (I believe for the Sega System 18 board which could display 4096 colors on screen).

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Says in the OP. Arcade

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Thread Information