Quantcast

Thread: Planet Harriers Dreamcast?

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Puyo Planet Harriers Dreamcast?

Why did they never port it over? 18 Wheeler happened but not this?

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Well, none of the Hikaru PCB arcade releases were ever ported. The Star Wars Racer game was pod racing, but it was light years beyond the home ports that predated it. 18 Wheeler was regular NAOMI hardware, which made DC porting so simple. Planet Harriers also debuted 1/2 a year later, and like the other Hikaru games, was kind of rare. They were expensive to produce, so arcades did not stock them too often. I don't think SEGA bothered with a PS2 or Gamecube port either due to the lack of popularity.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

I thought PH was Noami. Is Wiki wrong? I watched Jeff Gerstmann play old SEGA games and he was talking to Gamespot used to be in the SEGA building in 2000. They had a Naomi board with Planet Harriers. SO now kinda confused.

Planet Harries was Hikaru ( I Still have the interview with AV somewhere) So it would have been a Hard port also the game didn't sell great in the Arcades either
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    I thought PH was Noami. Is Wiki wrong? I watched Jeff Gerstmann play old SEGA games and he was talking to Gamespot used to be in the SEGA building in 2000. They had a Naomi board with Planet Harriers. SO now kinda confused.
    Well Hikaru WAS a Naomi board but it had a new custom graphics chip and more memory. It was abandoned for the NAOMI 2, which was a full redesign and much less expensive. As I said, the lack of porting was not due to the game itself or the hardware, but that the cabinets were all deluxe and very expensive, so they did not sell.

Sucks. Tho we are seeing some older Arcade games hit digital fronts. I can only hope.

Nameless One

They didnít port Daytona 2 so no way this was getting ported.

At the end of the day resources are limited and they can only work on so many things. If a team is porting Planet Harriers then they canít work on something that did get released. Plus as said above - would have been a harder port.

Maybe it will surprise us all and show up in a Yakuza game someday lol

Well the Demul PC emulator will run the Hikaru games, although the emulation is quite incomplete.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

It sucks that they weren't interested in actual ports anymore, only conversions from variant hardware. Sega's arcade exclusives were what could set their console library apart.

They had new entries from some of their most timeless classics at a time when full 3D could finally be done right and the jump from super scaler wouldn't be spoiled by any awkward 32-bit attempts.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Thread Information