Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sonic Game Gear Games: A Retrospective

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Someone was working on a Sonic Mania version of Sonic Chaos, but that seems to have gone from the wayside. What is the resolution like on the 3DS ports? I've been too cheap to buy Sonic Chaos for my 3DS.
    That's too bad. Was there ever a mania port of Sonic 1 SMS? I feel like I saw that once but now I can't find it.

I'm using Genesis Plus GX to emulate the Game Gear, since the 3DS uses a 240p display and I have "Game Gear extended area" enabled it is pixel perfect resolution, albeit with a black border on all sides. You can use filters but the only one I need is LCD ghosting, which makes it look more like a 90s era display.

I know the hardware purists won't approve but for me it's good enough to enjoy the games. When Sega announced the GG Micro I wish they had done something like this, release one normal-sized unit with say 20 games, make everything run at SMS resolution with the GG palette, fix a few bugs, I would have bought that.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

I've only played 1, 2, Chaos, and Triple Trouble, and out of these four, the only one I have an issue with is 2. I actually think Chaos is the second worst of the four. I do agree that it's the most playable, but it's just so short and easy. An ideal Triple Trouble feels like they noticed these aspects from Chaos and overcorrected them. I would still rather play Triple Trouble though because of the exploration aspect to it (even though it can be easy to run out of time). Whenever I felt like I was starting to explore the levels in Chaos, I'd make it to the end. Sonic 1 I feel is solid overall. Losing all of the rings didn't bother me too much because it wasn't overly difficult. The only stage I had any issues with not knowing where I was going was the final stage, but it felt like they intentionally made it that way.

Thread Information