Quantcast

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: krikzz MD Pro features announced

Games with heavy bank switching are gonna break too (because there's a limit to how many tiles can be transferred). He did say to treat the NES support as just a bonus and not as a serious feature.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    You can't do that even on a Mega CD, the FM sound is coming directly from the console. The only exception maybe is if you have a model 1 MD (with volume slider) and model 1 MCD
    You can do that with MD1 and MCD2 as well.

About the MD Everdrive Pro, well, it looks like we'll have customer-funded beta testing once again.
    And the NES emulation is a trainwreck.

Quote Originally Posted by nihilblack View Post
    That review just makes it easier to go for the MegaSD, a better overall product.
    Yes and no, because Krikzz cart is a lot cheaper and will be readily available from multiple resellers. Terra Onion runs out of stock far too often, which still baffles me tbh. I have the Mega SD, and I enjoy it. I'm hoping they come through with an updated menu they promised though.

Yeah, and that's considering that there are people who find the Mega Everdrive Pro itself to be expensive as well… heck, even the older Mega Everdrives (and those were already retired to make room for Pro, ugh). We need a budget flashcart that doesn't do much more than play the games without fancy hardware, though I guess the response will be that the market in question would probably just go with an emulator instead.

Also if there's something to take out of all this, is that you should never include any easter egg features because everybody seems to be dunking on the NES emulation as if that was a deal breaker, even when nothing else does anything even remotely like it (・<・) (granted, I guess it should have been expected when people started proclaiming that they could ditch their NES the moment krikzz uploaded that video… *sigh*)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert nihilblack's Avatar

You know, I like the idea of MD+ because it's MD related. Here on Spain I bought an ZX-Uno unit, an FPGA reproduction of the ZX Spectrum. It does more than that because there are cores for other 8-bit computers and consoles like NES, Master System, etc. (some of theme don't work perfectly like the ZX Spectrum does). You can even put an old PC in there. The thing is I've never used them, because I bought the ZX-Uno to play ZX Spectrum games, nothing less, nothing more. NES addition is nice, but it's king of out of focus. If I were to develop something like the Mega Everdrive Pro, I wouldn't put in there some half-assed emulation of a non-related console if it wasn't perfect, not even as some odd "extra" feature. Seems more like an "Oh, can the Mega SD do this?" moment than anything else, but it's something that the MegaSD doesn't need to do, because no one will buy one of this very expensive MD carts to play, badly, NES games.

OK but it seems people are claiming that having half-assed NES support somehow makes it even worse than the Mega SD which has nothing like it altogether. Also people are whining to krikzz about not including MD+ support and that it "fractures" the modding community, even though TerraOnion started it by adding a feature that requires you to buy the Mega SD when it could have been easily done with the Mega CD too, and the Mega SD's main feature is Mega CD support. So I think people are just looking for excuses to dunk on krikzz.

I'd say that if there's something to dunk him on krikzz, it's phasing out support for the lower-end Mega Everdrives instead of repurposing them as budget alternatives. I'm not sure there are that many people willing to shell out more than $100 on a flashcart.

Also while I'm at it, the only benefit of MD+ is supposedly being easier, but krikzz is just solving that by providing a premade CD driver (that doesn't even require the BIOS). I'd put MD+ on the same category as those ugly linear 10MB hacks that stomp on the add-ons just to avoid dealing with the proper Sega mapper. Heck, lately I've seen a bunch of people whining that the mapper was a mistake because "it's too complex" (hint: the moment you add anything more than just the ROM/EPROM/Flash/whatever it's gonna get complex simply due to needing to decode the mapping).

WCPO Agent

Yeah, and that's considering that there are people who find the Mega Everdrive Pro itself to be expensive as well… heck, even the older Mega Everdrives (and those were already retired to make room for Pro, ugh). We need a budget flashcart that doesn't do much more than play the games without fancy hardware, though I guess the response will be that the market in question would probably just go with an emulator instead.

Also if there's something to take out of all this, is that you should never include any easter egg features because everybody seems to be dunking on the NES emulation as if that was a deal breaker, even when nothing else does anything even remotely like it (・<・) (granted, I guess it should have been expected when people started proclaiming that they could ditch their NES the moment krikzz uploaded that video… *sigh*)
    People have been spoiled by emulators running on modern hardware that can do almost anything. NES emulation is one of the coolest things I've seen done with homebrew, it's far from perfect but it looks pretty good on the NROM and MMC1 games. If that had come out circa 1992 it would have been a major achievement. I still think it looks cool now. There's nothing like it for other consoles, there is no cart you can plug in to your SNES and get it to run SMS games.

I don't think the price is the biggest issue either, people who choose to play retro games on real hardware have usually spent much more than that on games, consoles, TVs etc.

OK but it seems people are claiming that having half-assed NES support somehow makes it even worse than the Mega SD which has nothing like it altogether. Also people are whining to krikzz about not including MD+ support and that it "fractures" the modding community, even though TerraOnion started it by adding a feature that requires you to buy the Mega SD when it could have been easily done with the Mega CD too, and the Mega SD's main feature is Mega CD support. So I think people are just looking for excuses to dunk on krikzz.

I'd say that if there's something to dunk him on krikzz, it's phasing out support for the lower-end Mega Everdrives instead of repurposing them as budget alternatives. I'm not sure there are that many people willing to shell out more than $100 on a flashcart.

Also while I'm at it, the only benefit of MD+ is supposedly being easier, but krikzz is just solving that by providing a premade CD driver (that doesn't even require the BIOS). I'd put MD+ on the same category as those ugly linear 10MB hacks that stomp on the add-ons just to avoid dealing with the proper Sega mapper. Heck, lately I've seen a bunch of people whining that the mapper was a mistake because "it's too complex" (hint: the moment you add anything more than just the ROM/EPROM/Flash/whatever it's gonna get complex simply due to needing to decode the mapping).
    I've said many times, I don't care about MD+. At first I figured MSU1 "CD" music on SNES games would be cool, then quickly realized it did little for me. I'm an originalist and just not a fan of hacking games. But I digress, it doesn't make sense for Krikzz to keep supporting the older carts that are largely maxxed out in terms of what they can accomplish with their inherent microchips. It is strange to think he now has Mega Drive carts priced at $39, $89, $166, and $199. Really only a fool would buy the X7 at this point.

Bought my x7 used from another collector who got scared during the whole +5 - +3 volt issues where people thought their consoles were going to explode from using these carts. Only set me back $75 about 2 years ago now I guess?

I've been mildly interested in both the MegaSD and this Everdrive Pro but for the few games I actually want to play on SegaCD I've just not seen the need when I have a few working SegaCD units I have access to as spares. Between the two, I do like the interface operation of the MegaSD more and it currently still seems to be the most compatible overall, but I'm sure the issues that Joe pointed out in his recent review of the MegaED Pro will be addressed in time.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training wowsux133's Avatar

Have you ever been on the TerraOnion discord? Is it so insufferable, they really hate Krikzz and constantly dump on him at every chance they get. Like I get it, Krikzz isn't perfect, but the people at TerraOnion (mainly Alex) are so much worse in comparison. I could be wrong, but I don't think Krikzz generally insults his critics/competitors unless they start it. I've only ever seen him go after TO and as far as I know the beef always starts from their end.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Reason #49971 not to use discord :P

Not like forums are any better, just look at the drama that pops up here every so often.

The problem isn't forums or Discord or Twitter or whatever, it's the fandoms themselves.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by wowsux133 View Post
    Have you ever been on the TerraOnion discord? Is it so insufferable, they really hate Krikzz and constantly dump on him at every chance they get. Like I get it, Krikzz isn't perfect, but the people at TerraOnion (mainly Alex) are so much worse in comparison. I could be wrong, but I don't think Krikzz generally insults his critics/competitors unless they start it. I've only ever seen him go after TO and as far as I know the beef always starts from their end.
    Back when Krikzz started this whole thing in the assemblergames.com forum, he always seemed to be a nice guy IMO.
    He was also very responsive about customer feedback and Everdrive-related issues. But then at some point he had lots of devices to support and they moved to their own forums and nowadays pretty much only the last released product get any support.
    Still, I don't remember seeing him being nasty to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    Reason #49971 not to use discord :P
    Any platform can be good or bad depending on the group of people that are there and how active and strict the moderation actually is.
    People say facebook groups are cancer, but I quite enjoy the CRT Collective one; but there's a constant effort from the admins to keep people from shitposting and simply ignoring the rules.
    The discord channels I'm in are very strict too and they have a healthy environment.

Some forums, like this one, let idiots discuss about politics and attention whore to no end, so no wonder you'll get a lot of drama and nonsense. A lot of people who post here don't even play MD games to begin with.
    OTOH, you have people who are way too deep into being the ultimate fanboy; those should also be removed on a constant basis.

But any community can get toxic if you spend enough time on it. Some just become toxic quicker than others.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by wowsux133 View Post
    I care less about this kind of thing. Look at Elon Musk; the guy can be a total knobhead sometimes. Would it stop me buying a Tesla?

Thread Information