Thread: krikzz MD Pro features announced

Video Review

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post

Video Review
    It's neat that he compared some basic aspects with the MegaSD, but sucks that there was litetally nothing about hiw well the actual Sega-CD hardware is emulated. I want to know how authentic the hardware sound and ASIC effects are. Just saying "technically these 2D games are playable" isn't a real review at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

One feature I forgot to mention that the Mega SD has over the Mega Pro is MD+ audio hacks. Some people have been incorporating CD audio tracks in Genesis games and the Mega SD supports that where the Mega Pro does not.
    hmm

Limited NES emulation is neat for a minute, but not really something I care about (I have nes systems for that)

What he missed the ball on, is Game Gear emulation. It's totally doable on the Genesis. You just need one background layer, and one sprite layer to do both shadow\highlight display. At 160x144 screen updates are easily doable at 60hz. Sure, you don't get full 12bit color, but it's the game gear with limited on screen color anyway.. so round the color to 512+shadow+highlights 1300+ colors would work perfect. Next time, I guess.
    Last edited by turboxray; 06-20-2020 at 05:12 PM.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    hmm

Limited NES emulation is neat for a minute, but not really something I care about (I have nes systems for that)

What he missed the ball on, is Game Gear emulation. It's totally doable on the Genesis. You just need one background layer, and one sprite layer to do both shadow\highlight display. At 160x144 screen updates are easily doable at 60hz. Sure, you don't get full 12bit color, but it's the game gear with limited on screen color anyway.. so round the color to 512+shadow+highlights 1300+ colors would work perfect. Next time, I guess.
    It's not that simple, you can't convert all the colors on the fly. It would be easier just to play the GG to SMS conversions that have already been done.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    It's not that simple, you can't convert all the colors on the fly. It would be easier just to play the GG to SMS conversions that have already been done.
    How is it not that simple? Have you seen Gamegear games? Literally, the color separation in games is so large than even if you posterized it down to 6bit SMS RGB values, it pretty retains almost everything. 9bit gets you a lot closer, and 1500 color mode gets you there probably without any discernible difference to the user. It's an FPGA.. it can handle something as simple as a LUT to do it in read time haha. Why play them on SMS when the Genesis has the color to support it, and can actually clip the display so you only see the original 160x144 res.

It's nice that there's another option out there, but this doesn't differ enough from the MegaSD I already own for me to consider a purchase.

It's probably aimed more at all those who skipped over the Mega SD because of its massive price tag (not like Mega Everdrive Pro is exactly cheapů but it's definitely cheaper by a significant margin).

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    How is it not that simple? Have you seen Gamegear games? Literally, the color separation in games is so large than even if you posterized it down to 6bit SMS RGB values, it pretty retains almost everything. 9bit gets you a lot closer, and 1500 color mode gets you there probably without any discernible difference to the user. It's an FPGA.. it can handle something as simple as a LUT to do it in read time haha. Why play them on SMS when the Genesis has the color to support it, and can actually clip the display so you only see the original 160x144 res.
    Oh, I thought you were suggesting changing every palette call during the game itself. Posterizing it down would still leave the problem of having a bitmap with 32 colors, but if the emulator did that process twice (once for the BG and then for the sprites) you could output two 160x144 16 color bitmaps and draw them using the MD background layers.

I wouldn't think you could use S/H in that manner since one layer will affect the other, but maybe I am misunderstanding how it works.

Wouldn't it be easier to just fake it with the VDP's native features? (i.e. the actual sprites and one scroll layer, and use the other one for the border) I suppose that's how the NES support works, and Game Gear doesn't have that much in the way of raster effects (aside from horizontal scroll stuff, but may be feasible to fill in the horizontal scroll table there instead of trying to get the timing right).

It probably sucks having to waste the console's own Z80 tho.

On MD+: it's a TO-exclusive feature, krikzz says modders should instead do native Sega CD support (like Pier Solar), as that would work on real hardware too, as well as both carts.

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    On MD+: it's a TO-exclusive feature, krikzz says modders should instead do native Sega CD support (like Pier Solar), as that would work on real hardware too, as well as both carts.
    That's an honest relief, I absolutely hated those proprietary expansions being made. Any of these types of hacks should absolutely be running on real hardware.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    It's neat that he compared some basic aspects with the MegaSD, but sucks that there was litetally nothing about hiw well the actual Sega-CD hardware is emulated. I want to know how authentic the hardware sound and ASIC effects are. Just saying "technically these 2D games are playable" isn't a real review at all.
    +1

I want to see a side by side performance review of Mega CD games (including FMV & 3D) using Mega SD and MD Pro to determine which is ultimately the better product. We know MD Pro has more features but is the FPGA core up to scratch?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher nihilblack's Avatar

I don't care about NES or SMS, really. That video isn't a good review in any way, it should review how good/faithfully it plays Mega Drive/Mega CD games, and the only "analysis" is a very superficial one about loading times. I will not base a purchase on that video.

So the Pro loads games a second or two faster than the SD? That's about what I gleemed from there, lol.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Definitely interested in one of these, though I'm going to wait and see how other people like it first. It is cheaper than the MegaSD but only by about $60. The MegaSD is a very polished product and to Krikzz's credit so are the EverDrive flash cartridges, but I want to see a more in depth comparison between the two from other reviewers.

Thread Information