Quantcast

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: krikzz MD Pro features announced

Wildside Expert

Yeah, we need a head-to-head review directly comparing CD gameplay. FIGHT!
    Jeff Nelson
    Video gaming since 1979 (I was an Atari Baby)

Wildside Expert

Krikzz has announced that the MD Pro is on sale now. Hope to see an in-depth comparison with the MegaSD soon.
    Jeff Nelson
    Video gaming since 1979 (I was an Atari Baby)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by WaverBoy View Post
    Krikzz has announced that the MD Pro is on sale now. Hope to see an in-depth comparison with the MegaSD soon.
    I'm especially looking forward to My Life in Gaming's, Game Sack's, and RetroRGB's reviews, they usually have the most in-depth reviews in my experience.

Besides price and availability, there's really not much inherently different between the two. MegaSD has a better menu, MED Pro is cheaper. Neither of them do anything beyond playing games in terms of the real reason for both, SegaCD. No save states, no 32X compatibility.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Besides price and availability, there's really not much inherently different between the two. MegaSD has a better menu, MED Pro is cheaper. Neither of them do anything beyond playing games in terms of the real reason for both, SegaCD. No save states, no 32X compatibility.
    MD+ is a reason to get a MegaSD.

I'm more so concerned with how well it handles playing CD games. The Mega SD had some issues at first if I'm remembering correctly that were patched early on despite Terraonion spending a lot of time on development, and seeing how fast Krikzz has put this out leaves me a tad bit concerned that there might be some issues. Sewer Shark was having some stutter/sound issues on the MED Pro, but it turns out that he was testing an older revision disc that doesn't play as well or something, which is a bit of a relief, but at the same time adds to my worry that he did not do very thorough testing. There's also things like only supporting single .BIN games which he is acting kinda stubborn about fixing. Add to the fact that he has accused people on Twitter who criticized the MED Pro as being Alex from Terraonion makes me a bit wary.
    Last edited by wowsux133; 06-25-2020 at 06:07 PM.

Master of Shinobi

IMO He's not used to have to deal with real competition, it's just that. Emulating Mega CD games doesn't seem too demanding so both carts should get away with even if MED is supposedly less powerful, but has SMS save-states.
    I'm quite torn apart myself as this indeed is emulating (like retron 5, MegaSG, etc), FPGA or not, it's not like the other Everdrives where it just loaded the game onto the stock console.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    IMO He's not used to have to deal with real competition, it's just that. Emulating Mega CD games doesn't seem too demanding so both carts should get away with even if MED is supposedly less powerful, but has SMS save-states.
    I'm quite torn apart myself as this indeed is emulating (like retron 5, MegaSG, etc), FPGA or not, it's not like the other Everdrives where it just loaded the game onto the stock console.
    Yeah that's what it seems like to me, for a long time he really was the only major player in the market of flash carts. I'm sure it bothers him a bit that all of a sudden in such a rapid succession he's got all these competitors now. I want this to be a good product, because I would much certainly rather give my money to Krikzz than TO, but the MegaSD has proven itself to be quite a great device, even if it is more expensive.

I also feel that way a bit regarding the Mega CD part of both carts being an FPGA. I like and support emulation but to me personally the best experience is with authentic hardware, and the EverDrives give the best of both worlds: a vast and easily accessible library of not only official games but also hacks, translations, and homebrew like you get with emulation, all played on real hardware with OEM controllers and they work exactly the same as they would as if you were using the real cartridge. But since it's technically emulating the CD system, there's bound to always be slight inaccuracies. At the same time though, I really don't like to use my Sega CDs anymore because of how temperamental and finicky the hardware has gotten over the years, and as such I don't really get to play the games much as a consequence, so this is the next best thing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    MD+ is a reason to get a MegaSD.
    Ehhh, not for me, I find little interest in SNES MSU1 soundtracks for instance, and I'm of the same feeling with MD+. Those are hacks, and not worth the $. Regardless, I think there's a way to use something similar on the Pro, but that Terra O decided to use a proprietary format.

Quote Originally Posted by wowsux133 View Post
    Yeah that's what it seems like to me, for a long time he really was the only major player in the market of flash carts. I'm sure it bothers him a bit that all of a sudden in such a rapid succession he's got all these competitors now. I want this to be a good product, because I would much certainly rather give my money to Krikzz than TO, but the MegaSD has proven itself to be quite a great device, even if it is more expensive.
    I'm not privy to financials, but I have to assume that Krikzz move, on almost every product, to a higher price point has not been the wisest move, but I could be wrong. His average cart price was probably around 90 bucks for the latest and greatest, while nowadays that price is for outdated goods by several years, and latest and greatest is closer to 175 bucks. In the world of retailing, it's somewhat backwards, in that he's not discounting anything but rather slapping newer chips on it and selling for higher and higher prices. His "new" feature offerings are largely trivial, and quite questionable that they require such large price increases. This MeD Pro represents his first foray into optical media of any kind, which has become the "new frontier" for many flash carts. He seems unwilling to go backwards into Atari-land, and I don't know what his appetite for ODE's are?

I also feel that way a bit regarding the Mega CD part of both carts being an FPGA. I like and support emulation but to me personally the best experience is with authentic hardware, and the EverDrives give the best of both worlds: a vast and easily accessible library of not only official games but also hacks, translations, and homebrew like you get with emulation, all played on real hardware with OEM controllers and they work exactly the same as they would as if you were using the real cartridge. But since it's technically emulating the CD system, there's bound to always be slight inaccuracies. At the same time though, I really don't like to use my Sega CDs anymore because of how temperamental and finicky the hardware has gotten over the years, and as such I don't really get to play the games much as a consequence, so this is the next best thing for me.
    Yeah, the big problem is that real Mega CD hardware is unreliable. Eventually the disc drive dies (mechanical parts wear much faster, also the components feeding the laser tend to wear faster as well) and that one is a pain in the ass to replace, not to mention that replacement parts sooner or later will not be possible to get, and an ODE is extremely invasive (not to mention that you're resorting back to replacing hardware with completely different one, potential inaccuracies included).

If we're going to have to replace a significant part of the hardware, may as well go ahead and replace all of it to make it less risky.

I'm not privy to financials, but I have to assume that Krikzz move, on almost every product, to a higher price point has not been the wisest move, but I could be wrong. His average cart price was probably around 90 bucks for the latest and greatest, while nowadays that price is for outdated goods by several years, and latest and greatest is closer to 175 bucks. In the world of retailing, it's somewhat backwards, in that he's not discounting anything but rather slapping newer chips on it and selling for higher and higher prices. His "new" feature offerings are largely trivial, and quite questionable that they require such large price increases. This MeD Pro represents his first foray into optical media of any kind, which has become the "new frontier" for many flash carts. He seems unwilling to go backwards into Atari-land, and I don't know what his appetite for ODE's are?
    I don't think you're wrong at all, he's definitely increased a lot of his prices since he's started and I think that's hurt some of his potential sales, probably not by a whole lot, but he's definitely reduced his potential buyers down a bit. I can't even count how many people I've seen see the EverDrives and go "oh cool I want one!" then they see the price and say "eh I'm okay with what I have", and it's not even just casuals, but I've seen some enthusiasts go through that too. To me, most of his offerings are worth the price of admission, I factor in what it would cost for me to buy the games I want for a console, and it's always much higher than it would be if I were to just pick up the EverDrive for that console instead. But again, somethings just are kinda priced high if you take a step back and think about it. Like for example, is the N8 Pro feature set really worth the extra $50ish over the original N8? Or the Everdrive 64 X7, is a RTC, NES emulator, and no reset saving really worth an extra $70 over the V2.5? It all comes down to the individual making the decision to purchase at the end of the day I suppose. Like you said, it seems to me he just aims really high with his newer carts tech-wise and raises the cost accordingly, yet most of the benefits of that tech increase are debatable as to whether they are worth the price increase.

I think he's pretty much done all of the flash carts for the consoles he wants to do, seeing as he hasn't introduced a flashcart from a console he hasn't done in a while, instead just doing revisions of things he has done, so I suppose moving into ODE territory is really his next best choice if he wants to keep doing the things he's doing without things getting stale. I can't imagine there's much else he could add to his current console cart offerings, it's mostly minor little things left to be done. Like I really can't see people many buying the EverDrive N8 Pro Deluxe in 2030. Maybe he could do a competitor to the Super SD System 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Yeah, the big problem is that real Mega CD hardware is unreliable. Eventually the disc drive dies (mechanical parts wear much faster, also the components feeding the laser tend to wear faster as well) and that one is a pain in the ass to replace, not to mention that replacement parts sooner or later will not be possible to get, and an ODE is extremely invasive (not to mention that you're resorting back to replacing hardware with completely different one, potential inaccuracies included).

If we're going to have to replace a significant part of the hardware, may as well go ahead and replace all of it to make it less risky.
    I've been fighting with my Sega CDs for years now, cap replacements, drive belt replacements, laser adjustments, fuse replacements, etc etc etc. Recently my Model 1 CD just... ceased functioning and that's what has led me to be seriously considering the MegaSD or MED Pro. I just can't handle it anymore, there comes a point where you just want to have peace of mind that you aren't running expensive hardware into the ground just to mindlessly play a game for an hour or two. I actually get more enjoyment out of working on/fixing hardware than I do actually playing games these days, so that says a lot coming from me.

I don't think you're wrong at all, he's definitely increased a lot of his prices since he's started and I think that's hurt some of his potential sales, probably not by a whole lot, but he's definitely reduced his potential buyers down a bit. I can't even count how many people I've seen see the EverDrives and go "oh cool I want one!" then they see the price and say "eh I'm okay with what I have", and it's not even just casuals, but I've seen some enthusiasts go through that too. To me, most of his offerings are worth the price of admission, I factor in what it would cost for me to buy the games I want for a console, and it's always much higher than it would be if I were to just pick up the EverDrive for that console instead. But again, somethings just are kinda priced high if you take a step back and think about it. Like for example, is the N8 Pro feature set really worth the extra $50ish over the original N8? Or the Everdrive 64 X7, is a RTC, NES emulator, and no reset saving really worth an extra $70 over the V2.5? It all comes down to the individual making the decision to purchase at the end of the day I suppose. Like you said, it seems to me he just aims really high with his newer carts tech-wise and raises the cost accordingly, yet most of the benefits of that tech increase are debatable as to whether they are worth the price increase.
    Well, he is still a home brew operation. I have upgraded most of his offerings at least once, to where I've got the latest for just about everything but GBA. I'm not paying to get a smaller cart. I've done it because I can afford to, plus I'm a supporter of his and Stone Age Gamer, so that's been my go to each time just about. I also eBay my old versions and surprisingly they hold their value pretty well. One issue I have is that each time he's made these leaps in hardware, his forum has been littered with people having problems. They're not only software problems either. I don't use the carts that much, but I'm also concerned I will go to do so and the thing craps out or something!

I've been fighting with my Sega CDs for years now, cap replacements, drive belt replacements, laser adjustments, fuse replacements, etc etc etc. Recently my Model 1 CD just... ceased functioning and that's what has led me to be seriously considering the MegaSD or MED Pro. I just can't handle it anymore, there comes a point where you just want to have peace of mind that you aren't running expensive hardware into the ground just to mindlessly play a game for an hour or two. I actually get more enjoyment out of working on/fixing hardware than I do actually playing games these days, so that says a lot coming from me.
    I acquired a few SegaCD model 2's one time, but both of them needed repairs, and I just wasn't into collecting games at the time. Wound up trading them, but that was 9-10 years ago. Around that time I almost bought a CDX a few times but didn't pull the trigger. I have a few CD games now, but they're just way too expensive to get these days. The hardware is too. As soon as Stone Age had the Mega SD I bought it. I mean, like the SSD3 you're using the same audio/video hardware generation the original systems did, controllers as well. It's the real thing minus the attached hardware.
    Last edited by Greg2600; 06-26-2020 at 01:57 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

He's said he isn't too interested in ODEs. There's been suggestions about rarer cart consoles like Wonderswan, but no comment from krikzz.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher nihilblack's Avatar

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by nihilblack View Post
    Is that a ZX81 I see? Well I never, an American ZX81 owner; now that is a rare breed!

Thread Information